• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hypothetical Seed Discussion (#8/#9 vs. #10 seed) (NWT)

I still think 25 is the magic number to get off the bubble and into a #9 seed. That 25th win could come on Wednesday vs. the 12/13 or on Thursday vs. the 5/12/13.

I'd rather get COVID a 3rd time than the Deacs miss the dance this year. That would be brutal.

I'm more concerned about ACC Tournament seeding at this point. I have no concerns about us not getting at least 2 of our next 3... but I want all 3. We're sitting at 5th in the ACC behind Duke (who we won't catch), Notre Dame (who has a pretty easy remaining schedule and we won't catch), Miami (who has an easy remaining schedule and we won't catch) and UNC (who we MIGHT catch).

If we can win @Clemson on Wednesday 2/23 , at home vs Louisville on Saturday 2/26 (should be a GREAT crowd), and at home vs State on Wednesday 3/2 (should be a decent crowd, 9PM though) then we finish at 14-6 in the ACC.

UNC is sitting at 11-5 in the ACC and has the chance to match us at 14-6 if they can beat Louisville at home tonight, win @ State on the 26th, beat Cuse at home on the 28th, and then beat Coach K and Duke in his final home game at Cameron on 3/5. I really just do NOT see Carolina winning all 4 of those games.

So if we can take care of business and go 3-0.... we get a DOUBLE BYE in the ACC Tournament right?

I'm more concerned about ACC Tournament seeding at this point. I have no concerns about us not getting at least 2 of our next 3... but I want all 3. We're sitting at 5th in the ACC behind Duke (who we won't catch), Notre Dame (who has a pretty easy remaining schedule and we won't catch), Miami (who has an easy remaining schedule and we won't catch) and UNC (who we MIGHT catch).

If we can win @Clemson on Wednesday 2/23 , at home vs Louisville on Saturday 2/26 (should be a GREAT crowd), and at home vs State on Wednesday 3/2 (should be a decent crowd, 9PM though) then we finish at 14-6 in the ACC.

UNC is sitting at 11-5 in the ACC and has the chance to match us at 14-6 if they can beat Louisville at home tonight, win @ State on the 26th, beat Cuse at home on the 28th, and then beat Coach K and Duke in his final home game at Cameron on 3/5. I really just do NOT see Carolina winning all 4 of those games.

So if we can take care of business and go 3-0.... we get a DOUBLE BYE in the ACC Tournament right?

Yes. If we win out and UNC loses 1 game, we get the double bye

The Maryland 2004 team won the ACCT as a 7-9 6 seed got a #4 seed in the NCAAT. So I think a #3 or #4 would be possible.

I hear ya, but this isn't the ACC of old.

That Maryland team probably goes 18-2 in this ACC.

I never know what to make of the committee’s early top 16 — will it be a tell on how they proceed it with the real bracket or is it just for show and then they do whatever the hell they want?

In any case, I don’t love the first bracket if it is the former. Houston, ranked top 10 basically all year, top 10, sometimes top 2 in different computer metrics, not a top 16 team. And the committee chair said it’s due to lack of quality wins, which will be a priority for them this year. Our best win is still…@VT? UNC? It’s at least possible we need 3-0 for that reason.

I still think we need to finish the season 3-0 to guarantee we make it. That gives us a little* margin for error if we were to slip up and lose the first round of the ACCT.
The good news for us traumatized wake fans is that I don't think we'll be playing in the first round of the ACCT

well I meant with what would normally be a good record like we have
My joke was that Virginia Tech ALWAYS used to get left out when they were on the bubble and it was always hilarious.

There were like four or five years in a row where it happened

My joke was that Virginia Tech ALWAYS used to get left out when they were on the bubble and it was always hilarious.

There were like four or five years in a row where it happened

ah that probably stems from my checked out years when I didn't pay any attention to this mythical concept of the bubble

I hear ya, but this isn't the ACC of old.

That Maryland team probably goes 18-2 in this ACC.

This. The ACC hasn't had any really legit teams since the year UVA won the natty, and VT almost upset Zion in the tourney. We had some good teams that year. I mean LeBron and Rondo came to watch the UVA/Duke game.

hoping we don't get a 2nd round matchup vs Kentucky

This. The ACC hasn't had any really legit teams since the year UVA won the natty, and VT almost upset Zion in the tourney. We had some good teams that year. I mean LeBron and Rondo came to watch the UVA/Duke game.

we had Giannis come watch our Cuse game

I didn't really pay attention to the Oregon/Az game (came to the last second @ Az), but might not be bad to be in the 8/9 with Az.

You just never know. Being old, I remember us set up to play #1 in the country Oregon St, in the second round in 81. They were upset (pre-64/68 field), so we had the entire bracket set up to play from the #1 seed position, but we went out and lost our game to BC.

It was DePaul who was upset by St. Joseph's. We would have played them in the Sweet Sixteen if we had beaten BC. We were the #4 and had a first round bye. But 3 of the top 4 seeds in that region lost their first game. #3 seed Indiana was the only team that won and they ended up winning the whole thing.

Back