• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I feel sorry for the defensive kids

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
I think our defense is pretty decent this year. Heck our pass rush probably looked the best last night than I've seen in awhile. However, they aren't good enough and shouldn't have to be good enough to compensate for an embarrassment of an offense. When get no help at all from your offense in relation to field position, rest, etc. it's got to be frustrating.

Last edited:
I agree. Thought the defense played very well given what they were faced with. This game is basically on Tanner and our inability to score from 1st and Goal at the 3 YARD LINE with four tries.

It's the coaches who really "fell sorry."

BC back had a career high night rushing. He gashed us at will. If they had a decent QB Amidon would have had 200 yds receiving. Only positive was the pass rush.

I know that the offense is glaringly atrocious, but don't lionize the defense due to the comparison. Our defense sucked last year, and it will suck this year as well. I haven't looked at last night's stats, but we gave up over 200 yds to BC's Williams, a career night. We also gave up a TD on BC's second play from scrimmage, and on the second option turnover gave up a TD on BC's ensuing first play. Just as we gave up a breakaway run to PC on their first play. Our defense has personnel problems just like the offense, and is coordinated by Knorr who is little better than Lobo in his ability. No, this whole program is moribund across the board.

I said "decent" and I stand by that. Our defense is competent enough to win games if our offense was competent instead of impotent. BC's margin came from 2 turnovers deep I our territory and the reason Amidon didn't see the ball more is because we were in Rettig's face most of the night when he did drop back.

Last edited:
I'd say this defense has a chance to be, what, around 85th in the country? Do you consider that "decent"? Like I said, by comparison it's light years better than our O, but that still isn't saying much.

This defense will likely be better than 85th in the country. The rush defense was pretty bad last night though, especially since it appeared that they consistently just ran that off tackle to the right side pretty much all night on first down.

I'd say this defense has a chance to be, what, around 85th in the country? Do you consider that "decent"? Like I said, by comparison it's light years better than our O, but that still isn't saying much.

With the offense we have yeah you're probably right, with a decent offense I'd say better.

I said "decent" and I stand by that. Our defense is competent enough to win games if our offense was competent instead of impotent. BC's margin came from 2 turnovers deep I our territory and the reason Amidon didn't see the ball more is because we were in Rettig's face most of the night when he did drop back.

Amidon didn't see the ball because the RB was busy gashing us. Rettig only threw the ball 14 times. If BC had needed to throw the ball it was certainly available.

That's what happens when your run stopping gap stuffer is a 5'9", 250lb NT. teams with big offensive lines will continue to run on us.

Amidon didn't see the ball because the RB was busy gashing us. Rettig only threw the ball 14 times. If BC had needed to throw the ball it was certainly available.

Whatever, the pass rush was in his face when he dropped back. No we didn't do a good job against the run, but the defense played well enough to win again. It's been a common theme for years now.

That's what happens when your run stopping gap stuffer is a 5'9", 250lb NT. teams with big offensive lines will continue to run on us.

I hate to say it because I love Nikita, but I think it's getting to be more of a liability than an asset. Yeah he made some plays last night most nose guards couldn't, a couple of sacks and the blocked punt, but he isn't a force when teams ram it up he middle.

Defense was acceptable. But if Rettig was under so much duress, why did he average almost 9 yards per attempt? Doesn't seem like a guy spending most of the night on his back or running for his life.

We all want to see bright spots but there were really none to be had. The sad part is BC went to the run and never really had to get away from it. We were totally outclassed all the way around by a very bad BC team. Shameful.

He was pretty much running for his life, dude went 7-14. They only threw it 14 times because the run was so effective.

Defense was acceptable. But if Rettig was under so much duress, why did he average almost 9 yards per attempt? Doesn't seem like a guy spending most of the night on his back or running for his life.

We all want to see bright spots but there were really none to be had. The sad part is BC went to the run and never really had to get away from it. We were totally outclassed all the way around by a very bad BC team. Shameful.

Because he hit Amidon on the one long pass and the one long screen for the TD.

Do you think if they had thrown the ball more similar plays would have happened? I'm not trying to be difficult but BC almost completely abandoned the pass because they could. Hardly room for celebration when they proved in the first half they could air it out if necessary.

Once again....the genius coaches didn't rotate d linemen nearly at all. 4 DE played and 2 NG I didn't see them so it must have been late in the game after I quit watching that the Banks, Garcia and Floyd got in. Tylor harris, our biggest and one our most talented D linemen didn't see the field. At the end when BC was really gashing them in the run game everyone was just worn out. We have to rotate players in the front 7 to keep them fresh!!

Do you think if they had thrown the ball more similar plays would have happened? I'm not trying to be difficult but BC almost completely abandoned the pass because they could. Hardly room for celebration when they proved in the first half they could air it out if necessary.

Dude when BC did try to throw after we sacked Rettig twice in a row you could tell it was designed quick throws. Our pass rush affected him, which I haven't seen us do in awhile. Again the point was the defense was good enough for us to win if we had done anything on offense. It's got to be frustrating for them to get no help from the other side of the bell.

Once again....the genius coaches didn't rotate d linemen nearly at all. 4 DE played and 2 NG I didn't see them so it must have been late in the game after I quit watching that the Banks, Garcia and Floyd got in. Tylor harris, our biggest and one our most talented D linemen didn't see the field. At the end when BC was really gashing them in the run game everyone was just worn out. We have to rotate players in the front 7 to keep them fresh!!
Knorr'd

Back