• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I hope Forbes….

saltydeac

Reaction score
Sent a very nice Christmas gift to Mr Few. Zags with 4 losses and not seeing anyone on their roster putting up the numbers Sallis is and Few has to be wishing he was able to keep him and Efton. What a steal along with Boopie. I thought it would be hard to ever match the portal pickups with Alondes and Jake and the others we brought in, but Hunter/Efton/Boopie have to be the best portal pick up trio in the country. Just great impact players with legit nba prospects.

i think it's safe to say that clawson could benefit from improving wake's net return in the transfer portal

i think it's safe to say that clawson could benefit from improving wake's net return in the transfer portal
Yeah, but it takes a lot more to make a difference in football. 3 guys can make a world of difference in hoops, in football not near as much. Unless, you're a big program, it's not that easy to go get several real impact players through the transfer portal. Not disagreeing he needs to improve that, but it's just not quite apples to apples between football and basketball.

Forbes just lets his guys cook is how I see it. These guys all may have played a little scared at their last stop(s), been worried about making mistakes. Forbes enables them and gets their absolute best. It really is amazing to watch.

Forbes just lets his guys cook is how I see it. These guys all may have played a little scared at their last stop(s), been worried about making mistakes. Forbes enables them and gets their absolute best. It really is amazing to watch.
Agreed

In addition, Forbes also plays an uptempo style that allows players to maximize their offensive talent.
It's a scorer's offense that's for sure. Not just holding the ball and standing around til the final few seconds or feeding one guy.

Big difference is that this year's group really seems to have bought in to playing defense. And understanding the need to take care of the basketball.

From a tempo standpoint, Wake actually ranks 191st in average possession length, and it's on the defensive side of things where that number is brought down. Our APL is 221st in the NCAA on offense. It definitely feels faster than that though. Being efficient will do that though - we are 30th in eFG% nationally.

Also, we are 4th in FT%, which has been huge.

That free throw shooting is huge and could be the difference between a win and a loss in some games. Some team leads the NCAA in that stat every year. Why not Wake this year? If the free shooting continues to be this good, late game leads will stretch or team's won't try to foul Wake.

I was a little surprised BC didn't foul in the last minute of the game.

Yep, but that’s probably saying the same thing at least in part.
I took the first comment to mean that Forbes gives his players a lot of confidence, and some freedom to make mistakes without fear of an immediate hook.

From a tempo standpoint, Wake actually ranks 191st in average possession length, and it's on the defensive side of things where that number is brought down. Our APL is 221st in the NCAA on offense. It definitely feels faster than that though. Being efficient will do that though - we are 30th in eFG% nationally.

Also, we are 4th in FT%, which has been huge.
It feels faster because it's a lot of circle motion and driving/reset - it's a fast paced offense, but we rarely shoot the ball with more than 12 seconds on the shot clock. We push, but if it's not there, we set up the offense with multiple switches to gain a matchup advantage.

The weave stuff we've been running lately has been fantastic - seems like that's a new part of the offense we're running early in games.

We just have so many ballhandlers who provide different set looks for us. Last night under the final 8 mins we had Hunter, Boopie, Parker, and Cam bring the ball up. That's impossible to try to trap or set a defense for if you don't even know who is playing the point.

Back