• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I Just All Of A Sudden Stopped Listening To Music

It has never happened to me, and I hope it never does. For practical reasons, it won't happen anytime soon simply because I'm in a band so we have to play/learn/practice songs. However, music is my great escape. It helps me focus, helps me concentrate, and also relaxes me. There are few things better to me than sitting down for a nap and throwing on music. Usually, I like to go with something from the progressive vein-- old Yes or maybe some Steven Wilson. My mind gets lost in the chords, the changes, the general structure. Not a week or a month goes by where I don't notice something new and intriguing. It keeps me sharp and on my toes. And generally, it just makes me happy.

well said. This is me too. Although currently not in a band I live and breathe music and since I was 12 or 13 I have been in a band pretty much nonstop, from garage/hobby bands to full working bands writing and recording and performing. I can't imagine a world without. I can sit in a chair and do nothing but listen for hours. Its transcendent almost every time.

It seems reasonable and logical to me that musicians often have a more complex and intimate relationship with music than non-musicians. Certainly Ive known some who move away from it, but by and large we are all hooked and it is as much a part of our lives as eating and breathing and sex. The 'conversation' that you have when playing with others is something unlike anything else Ive experienced in terms of communication with people. Years and years of it are hard to just turn off. Its ingrained.

I've gone the other direction. I wasn't a big music guy growing up and rarely listened to music that wasn't prevelant in the pop culture or on the radio. However in the last five years I've gotten increasingly into music, dabbling in several different genres, and using Spotify and other's recommendations to listen to new music rather frequently. I listen to local radio stations rather frequently when I'm driving around ATX and learn about a lot of music from them.

I also listen to podcasts frequently as well. I'm subscribed to 12-15 podcast on either my phone or iPad and try my best to listen to the podcasts of a morning tlak radio show at some point during my way. The media usage that has decreased the most because of this is TV and movies. I rarely watch live TV anymore outside of sports and only have 3-4 shows I watch weekly on DVR. I also rarely go to movies or even take the time to watch them at home.

As others have mentioned listening to music or podcasts are great a addition to performing other mundane day-to-day activites. So I have a lot of time to listen to content, either in music or podcast form.

Hey moonzzz, what about that music at #spinclass ?

Got a new album today. I don't get the idea of not listening to music.

I listen to music pretty regularly - SiriusXM for the win - but, as a kid, I was obsessed with the fact that my parents stopped listening to popular music in their mid-30s. I couldn't understand it. I get how it happens, though. Even though I'm up on current stuff, I definitely fall back to my 90s comfort zone whenever possible.

I used to dig NPR but lately they really fucking suck not sure why but the quality of reporting has tanked and they seem to report on basic shit or just boring stuff lately

I listen to music all the time. I have no idea what the hell is popular but I've never really been big into pop or any of that stuff. I have really random preferences but I normally go in the direction of older stuff (60's/70's/early 80's) or more underground rap with some of the bigger names thrown in occasionally. SiriusXM is the best thing in the world and is worth every cent. Minus MadDog having Stephen A on every afternoon...

I used to dig NPR but lately they really fucking suck not sure why but the quality of reporting has tanked and they seem to report on basic shit or just boring stuff lately

NPR is BORING? STFU. I find this nearly impossible to believe.

I maybe have scaled back a little, ratio of podcasts to music in the car has increased. I feel like music is in a bit of a postindie lull right now.

Still, its so much easier now to keep up. Takes little to no effort no matter what you preferred genre is. I remember living off campus at Wake and coming in to hook up in a class building to download mp3s and panny shows off a fraking FTP server, only to then have to burn those shows on to CD using a $150 8x burner that I hooked up to my Skinkpad. That was fucking dedication.

I listen to music pretty regularly - SiriusXM for the win - but, as a kid, I was obsessed with the fact that my parents stopped listening to popular music in their mid-30s. I couldn't understand it. I get how it happens, though. Even though I'm up on current stuff, I definitely fall back to my 90s comfort zone whenever possible.

You listen to Backspin on XM? I haven't yet. I loved 90's rap music, but not so much 80's. I feel like a lot of the throwback rap stations play way too much 80's stuff. I am basically looking for the Lithium station (which is awesome) for rap.

I very rarely sit on my couch doing nothing but listening to music. Rather, I listen to music when I'm working at my computer, when I'm running or working out, doing yard work, walking the dog, hanging with Wife by outdoor fire, or just doing stuff around the house. I have spotify and I consider it the best $9 I spend every month.

This.

I remember living off campus at Wake and coming in to hook up in a class building to download mp3s and panny shows off a fraking FTP server, only to then have to burn those shows on to CD using a $150 8x burner that I hooked up to my Skinkpad. That was fucking dedication.

LOL...I remember doing the same thing in law school, bringing laptop to school, hooking in to T1 line to pull stuff off limewire or bearshare or whatever it was, then burning it all to CDs.

You listen to Backspin on XM? I haven't yet. I loved 90's rap music, but not so much 80's. I feel like a lot of the throwback rap stations play way too much 80's stuff. I am basically looking for the Lithium station (which is awesome) for rap.

Backspin is OK, but, yeah, they can get really heavy with the 80s stuff, and I have to be in the mood to listen to that - it's kind of repetitive. I think I heard them play Nelly on there the other day, though, so apparently they're expanding their playbook.

Resident music expert twiggie leaves and everybody stops listening to music. Coincidence?!

#daythemusicdied

Back