• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I need a new lunch place for our vacation tradition... Emerald Isle area

scooter84

Jack Campbell
Reaction score
For several years now we have been vacationing at Ocean Isle. Even though you can't get in your rental house until 3:00 pm or later, we would go early to get across the bridge before the traffic backs up. Then we would go to Sharky's for lunch and hang out drinking super cold beer until we could get in our house. It has become a fun tradition.

Well, this year, we are renting a house on the island near Emerald Isle - somewhere between Emerald Isle and Indian Beach/Salter Path. I assume we will be crossing onto the island on 58 at Emerald Isle.
We have not vacationed on that island in probably 15 years. Does the traffic back up at the bridge at all?

Who can recommend a good, fun, 'beachy' place in the area that would work as a replacement for our Sharky's lunch tradition?

We're usually later in the day arriving on Sunday when we go to EI (4-5pm), but have never encountered a traffic backup on the bridge onto the island. Saturday may be busier, but honestly I don't ever remember (in the 27 years my family has been going to EI) ever really hitting traffic on the island.

It's on the other end of the island (at Atlantic Beach right before the bridge over to Swansboro), but I think McCurdy's would really fit the bill for what you're looking for. Good outside space, good food, good beer selection, etc. You could either head onto the island from the other direction, or just drive past the house down that end (maybe 20 min drive or so?).

I've only been to Bushwackers once, so not sure if that would be a good option, but it is on the pier in Emerald Isle, so closer to where you're ending up.

ETA: Oops! Just checked the McCurdy's website and apparently they don't open til 5pm on weeknights and 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Bummer. I still recommend hitting it up for dinner one night though!

Can't help you with the Emerald Isle area.

What's good at Sharky's?

Our tradition is Calabash Creamery for dessert.

Bushwackers location and view is great, but the food is mediocre and fairly pricey. Also I don't think they have outdoor seating but its been a few years since I've been there.

I'm assuming they make the Bushwacker drink? Love those things.

Big Oak.

Big Oak.

Big Oak.

Get a shrimp burger

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Can't help you with EI. Sharky's is good. I really came to this thread to talk about how awesome the breakfast is at Big Nell's Pit Stop just over the bridge from OIB.

Going to EI in a couple of weeks. I'll have to try that shrimp burger, BBD.

Grew up in Emerald Isle.

Traffic:
Traffic over the bridge can back up, particularly on weekends around the times when people are able to check into their cottages. If you're hitting the island early enough to get lunch, you should be okay...traffic hasn't been as bad in the last couple of years because NCDOT widened the road leading to the bridge (tip: the right lane merges into the left lane right past the tourism board), tourism has been down due to the economy, and Emerald Isle Realty got their shit together and stopped backing traffic up onto the main road. Looks like traffic has been picking up a bit this year, though.

If you get stuck in traffic, just stay on the main road until you hit Islander Drive (1st Bert's on left; putt-putt with fake Lookout Light on right); take right on Islander then a left on Reed. Stay on Reed all the way to Mangrove; take a left on Mangrove (Bluewater Associates is at that corner) and go through the stop light. Take a left past the car wash, and follow that road around the curve until you hit the marina; continue right at the marina down Sound Drive. You can go down Sound Drive until you hit Lee; take a right on Lee. Go down Lee until you hit Canal (after Archer's Creek and before the main road); take a left on Canal. Go down Canal until you hit Craig; take right on Craig and you'll be back up at the main road, past the commercial "district." The real estate companies aren't that far down, though--if you need to pick up your keys, you'll want to come back up on either Bogue Inlet or Cedar.

Restaurants:
I second Big Oak, and I'd stay far, far away from Bushwackers. Note: Big Oak is a drive-in with outdoor seating, so if you're looking for a sit down that won't help you much.

Most people have a love/hate relationship with the rest of the restaurants in EI...Rucker John's is in Emerald Plantation and is a decent stand-by; if you're looking for fried seafood with a pretty low-key environment, try Jordan's. I can't speak much to the restaurants down towards Salter Path; we're closer to the police station. I've heard that Circle Pizza is good, but pricey. Flipper'z (in the K&V Plaza; turn off at the CVS) is okay...nothing outstanding. There's also an Andy's and a pizza place (Michaelangelo's) in the Plantation, as well.

Kathryn's is supposed to be pretty good--it's run by a guy I went to HS with--but I don't think they're open for lunch. His family also owns Portofino's.

Hit up Willis' if you're looking for fresh seafood to cook at home while you're there.

TL;DR-
Seriously, just go to Big Oak and grab some shrimp burgers.

Ballyhoo used to have a good beer selection but no outside seating. Bushwhackers is now closed. Big Oak doesn't have a dining room and I suspect you don't want to sit in the car next to a trailer park for several hours. RuckerJohns isn't "beachy" but more of a higher-quality Applebees, and last weekend they had Foothills porter on tap and a very attentive bartending staff. Also, RuckerJohn's is surrounded by several unique gift shops for your wife and kids to browse while hanging out.

I'm not a big fan of fried seafood so I normally hit up one of the fresh seafood markets there and cook my own. Last week I made a Lowcountry Boil with shrimp, clams, and corn harvested the same day, and new potatos dug the day before. It wasn't cheap but you can't get any fresher than that.

I like Giggling Mackerel for lunch better than Sharky's

Big Oak is great, but not exactly a place for hangin' out.

The breakfast places in Calabash are better than Big Nell's, which has sported a B before. Worth the few minutes extra drive.

I know people who have gotten sick after eating at Big Nell's. It's off my list.

Last edited:
Back