• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I need a new lunch place for our vacation tradition... Emerald Isle area

The breakfast places in Calabash are better than Big Nell's, which has sported a B before. Worth the few minutes extra drive.

I know people who have gotten sick after eating at Big Nell's. It's off my list.

Sometimes you have to roll the dice on a good greasy spoon diner.

Can't help you with EI. Sharky's is good. I really came to this thread to talk about how awesome the breakfast is at Big Nell's Pit Stop just over the bridge from OIB.

I agree on Big Nell's! That was our traditional stop as we left the island on our way home...

I just had a Big Oak shrimp burger. Good stuff. Thanks for the recommendation.

Been going to EI on and off for the last 25 yeas (wife is from Raleigh and grew up going there). Every year we go to T&W Oyster Bar in Swansboro on Friday night. Great old place.

If you're willing to cross the bridge and head into Morehead City (not really a terrible drive) there are some very good restaurants there. I highly recommend Ruddy Duck, which in addition to good (and fresh) seafood has a nice back deck that's right on the water. Or, you can head just a little bit further down the road to Beaufort and there are even more good restaurants, including some nice higher end spots - Beaufort Grocery is one of our favorites.

So, a little update. We had a great time in EI last week - great weather and the water was beautiful.

On the way down we took 24 through Swansboro and stopped for lunch at the Ice House. We ate outside on the water and the food was good and the beer was cold. Nice views, good feel for a start to the vacay - overall good experience.

We ate at Amos Mosquitos in Atlantic Beach one night. Good atmosphere - I like the bar. Friendly service. The food was good, not great. Some of us loved our entrees, some were only fair. The at-the-table S'mores were a hit, though.

We ate at Portofino, an Italian place in EI, one night. I thought it was good, others weren't as happy with their food. The wait was longer than it needed to be, I thought. The bar was nice.

We got delivery pizza one day for lunch from Michaelangelo's. Either I was starving or that was some really, really good pizza. Everyone loved it.

We drove into Beaufort one evening and ate at the Spouter Inn - on the water but we sat inside. We still had a view of the water, though. I loved it and most everyone else was very happy with the choice as well. We made reservations there so didn't have to wait.
With more time, the thing to do there is start at one end of the waterfront and have a drink at a few places before ending up somewhere for dinner.

Finally, we got take-out shrimpburgers and hushpuppies from the Big Oak drive-inn. No one had ever had a shrimp burger before. The ladies were not a fan - probably partially because they are too health-conscious for their own good, at least on vacation. I thought they were pretty darn good - at least without the cole slaw - which I hate. The hushpuppies were delicious and enjoyed by all.

We were going to eat at Amos Mosquito's Saturday night but the parking lot was jammed at like 5:45 with an hour wait. Normally that would be fine but with a 3-month old and soon to be 3 year old, throwing them off schedule that much was not an ideal plan. It had pretty good reviews from what I could tell and the make-your-own s'mores sounded pretty cool. My daughter would have eaten that up.

going to radio island near morehead city and beaufort this weekend with a bunch of friends (late twenties, early thirties, love to party). what should we do? where should we eat? where should we drink?

going to radio island near morehead city and beaufort this weekend with a bunch of friends (late twenties, early thirties, love to party). what should we do? where should we eat? where should we drink?

I didn't know there was anything on Radio Island...?

I didn't know there was anything on Radio Island...?

Nor did I. But I think I've only gone to Radio Island once, and it was years ago (despite staying in E.I. and visiting Morehead and Beaufort every year for the past 25+).

Heading down to E.I. Sunday!!!! Can't wait! Although it will be a bit different this year with a 2.5 month old and a husband who may not be able to go in the water after having an emergency appendectomy and ileocecetomy a few weeks ago. Still looking forward to the beach.

Its been 20+ years since I went to Radio Island, and back then it was just fishing and Four-wheeling in the dunes. I think its pretty close to the Morehead waterfront and just a few miles to Beaufort.

Wife and I had a big time at Ruddy Duck in Morehead. They have a nice outdoor waiting area with a cash bar on the waterway and the food was awesome.

There's at least some "yacht club" esque condo place on radio island now because that's where we're staying. My friends fam has a place there-- from the looks of google maps, it's basically right across the waterway (like maybe even swimming distance) to morehead

Successfully vacationed with our 2.5 month old (and my parents and some family friends) at EI last week (despite kind of crappy weather). It was nice to know we could make the long drive from DC and go out to dinner most nights with the baby easily.

Just wanted to report back on the places we ate in case others are interested (although it might not be of use until next summer). This was the 26th year that my family has been to EI, and for the last 15 years probably, we've tended to go out to eat every night, so we've eaten at our share of places from Swansboro to Beaufort and inbetween.

-Crab Shack (Salter Path) - We typically eat here our first and last night, although this year we had to skip the last night due to rain and a wait that was too long with the baby. The food is probably not as good as other places nearby, but it's really nostalgic for us at this point. They serve my favorite hush puppies in the area, and otherwise are pretty typical fried seafood and two sides type place. My mom loves the cats and kittens wandering around outside.

-Riverside Steak and Seafood (Swansboro)- We just added this to our rotation a few years ago and have liked it every year. Great sweet potato muffins that come with their salads (they also have really good house-made dressing). Tried the scallop nachos for the first time this year and would recommend those.

-Cedars Inn (Beaufort) - This was LadyDeacToy's and my date night sans baby and was probably the best meal we had all week. It's the restaurant portion of an old historic inn on Front St in Beaufort. Shrimp and scallops on goat cheese grits. Yum.

-Port of Call (Salter Path)- Was Whidden's Landing for a few years, and now Port of Call. Not my favorite, but not bad. The bar has a really cool map of the island on it.

-McCurdy's (Atlantic Beach) - This has been one of our favorites the last few years, but we were pretty underwhelmed this year for some reason. We did get unlucky and had some cool and drizzly weather (and McCurdy's is at it's best when it's a nice night where you can watch the sunset from the deck), but we also had an overly long wait for a table (was told 25 min and it was more like 45) and then had another overly long wait to get our food after we ordered (another 45+ minutes). Food was ok, but service soured us a bit. We do like their hushpuppies though.

-Saltwater Grill (Swansboro) - My parents asked some locals for a new restaurant rec, and they pointed us to Saltwater Grill. Loved the atmosphere (2nd story with a good view of the water) and service. The food was pretty good too. I think this may make it into our rotation.

-Surfari (Atlantic Beach) - Used to be DJ Shooters, so is pretty new. The inside and the atmosphere are kind of blah, but everyone really liked their food here.

-Yana's (Swansboro) - For the first time ever we ventured out of the house for breakfast. If you go, make sure you go early because it is small and fills up fast (we arrived around 8:30 and got seated right before a big rush). The food is fairly typical diner food, but you have to order the fruit fritters. Basically like fruit-funnel cake. More suited to dessert than breakfast probably, but definitely unique.

1004673_938415016693_1546238476_n.jpg

Headed back to E.I. next week!

:woot:

This time with a 13.5 month old. Should be a very different experience - both because she can now enjoy the sand and water, but also because her napping/bedtime schedule is much more rigid than it was last year. I see a lot of early dinners in our future.

Not restaurant related necessarily, but anyone with kids have recommendations for the area (esp little kids)? Thinking about maybe hitting up the aquarium or the playground in E.I. or the new splash pad at Atlantic Beach perhaps.

For several years now we have been vacationing at Ocean Isle. Even though you can't get in your rental house until 3:00 pm or later, we would go early to get across the bridge before the traffic backs up. Then we would go to Sharky's for lunch and hang out drinking super cold beer until we could get in our house. It has become a fun tradition.

Well, sadly (very sadly), we sold our Salter Path place and will be going to Ocean Isle this year.

Details on teh traffic thing?

Sharky's vs. Giggling Mack?

Back