• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I40 Eastbound Closing Over the Yadkin River

Tagger: lolz. "Is it still open for the rest of its 2,554 mile length?"

Eastbound traffic will be detoured starting this weekend.
Thanks for the heads up. I brought this up with my FIL a few weeks ago (lives in Lewisville area) and he was nice enough to show me a nifty shortcut on Farmington Road (turn @ Battle Branch Cafe to get to 421).

Now that they've paved it, you can also take Dinkins Bottoms road from 421 over to Farmington Road. Just make sure the river is not out of its banks.

Hey bros, they are working on the Beltway on the evenings now just a heads up. I would the recommend the ICC if going that way. Good talk.

I'm heading East on 40 on Friday afternoon, heading for the Outer Banks. I presume that will be a problem with the work being done on 40. Anyone want to give me directions for an acceptable detour?

Edited to add that I'm thinking about just taking 77 up to 421 if it is really that bad at the bridge (and I assume a Friday afternoon will be bad).

I'm heading East on 40 on Friday afternoon, heading for the Outer Banks. I presume that will be a problem with the work being done on 40. Anyone want to give me directions for an acceptable detour?

Edited to add that I'm thinking about just taking 77 up to 421 if it is really that bad at the bridge (and I assume a Friday afternoon will be bad).

They don't shut down until 8pm on Friday. You should be good.

Update from the DOT: No road closures this weekend for the I-40 bridge work - Eastbound Lane past Exit 180. They are now planning to work June 28-July 1 and July 12-15. They will not be working July 5-8 due to the Independence Day Holiday.

They are working this weekend. Just took 3.5 hours to get back from LKN. Eastbound drivers use 421.

They are working this weekend. Just took 3.5 hours to get back from LKN. Eastbound drivers use 421.

Came from Asheville to Winston around 3 today. Took about 2 1/2 hours to get from exit 174 to exit 180. Just absurd.

Thanks for the heads up. I brought this up with my FIL a few weeks ago (lives in Lewisville area) and he was nice enough to show me a nifty shortcut on Farmington Road (turn @ Battle Branch Cafe to get to 421).

We took that this afternoon and it wasn't bad at all. Went thru some pretty parts of Davie and Forsyth Counties.

I live 8 miles south of the exit and left my house around 5:30 to get a pizza just north of I-40. An hour later, I finally arrived home.

Thankfully the work wrapped up this weekend it appears. Both lanes are refinished and open this morning.

You think there's gotta be a better way to do these road constructions and not make life hell for all of the people surrounding.

The main issue with the I-40 bridges over the Yadkin are they were built in the 1970s and they werent built with a shoulder on the bridge. As a result, they cant restrict the traffic to one lane each direction on a single bridge. In order to safely do any construction on the bridge, they've got to shut it down completely and reroute traffic. It sucks, and all thanks to lack of planning when they were originally built.

Back