• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If Bz was to go

Also, if Wellman was supposedly going all out at Stevens, then lost out, I would think if we were doing any sort of real coaching search it woulda taken longer than 4 days.

How many kids verbally commit and then change their minds when they sign the LOI?

And what conspiracy theory have I put forward exactly?

A lot. And kids can change their verbal commitment at ANY time before they sign the LOI.

Basically, you always question why they extended Dino. Dino had three years left on his deal. They needed to push it to over four to show stability.

Last edited:
Hello, you are dreaming with the stevens stuff bro. by the time Stevens made the elite 8 we had no chance. They made it within a inch of a natty title wake was a step down at that point.

I thought that Wellman said at one point that he couldn't comment on the coaching search because a certain coach we were targeting was still playing in the NCAAT. Did that not happen? I know that there was something that happened late in the NCAAT that made me think, "Holy crap - we're going after Stevens." I remember that feeling because it was probably the last time I was truly excited about WFU hoops.

I didn't say we had a shot but to suggest that we didn't test the waters is ridiculous.

Yeah that convo probs went like this.
RW: Hey Brad, how would you like to interview to be the Head Coach at Wake Forest?
BS: How much are you offering?
RW: 2 mil.
BS: I'll think about it. (hang up)
BS: (Calls Butler AD) Wake just offered me 2 mil what you got?

The dude almost won the title with a mid-major, of course he is getting a huge extension, and I'm sorry but he's not leaving lifetime job security to come build at the 4th or 5th best program in the ACC. He coulda had any job in the country minus 5 or so. Anyone that thinks we had a realistic shot at Stevens is crazy.

At the time we started the search (which was before his tourney run) we absolutely thought we had a chance at him. Of course we couldn't really offer him during the tourney, and by the time his run to the championship game was over we really only had a token chance to make him an offer and watch him laugh at it.

Also, if Wellman was supposedly going all out at Stevens, then lost out, I would think if we were doing any sort of real coaching search it woulda taken longer than 4 days.

It did take longer than 4 days, just not all in public.

All the recruits for the 2010 class had already committed before Dino was extended and Dino was fired before any 2011 recruits had accepted any scholarship offers.

The "extension for the benefit of recruiting" line just doesn't pass the bullshit test in this case. Wake Forest received no positive recruiting benefits from Dino being extended in October of 2009 and then fired in April of 2010.

Sure it passes the test. The extension for the benefit of recruiting is moreso for guys that haven't committed yet than it would be for guys that have already verballed (and thus may not be that concerned with the job security of the coach). You are correct that we didn't receive any benefits, because Dino then was unable to get anyone to commit. Which combined with the late season swoon and Miami game adds more fuel to the firing.

A lot. And kids can change their verbal commitment at ANY time before they sign the LOI.

Basically, you always question why they extended Dino. Dino had three years left on his deal. They needed to push it to over four to show stability.

If it was just the extension/firing that occurred then I would have just a little problem with it; the problem I have is the entire stack of lies that Wellman has tried to force feed the Wake supporters, all while insulting our collective intelligence.

If it was just the extension/firing that occurred then I would have just a little problem with it; the problem I have is the entire stack of lies that Wellman has tried to force feed the Wake supporters, all while insulting our collective intelligence.

We can nitpick all we want over silly contractual disputes, but we must come together for the jihadist-style raid on the Manchester athletic building and take over the AD duties.

We can nitpick all we want over silly contractual disputes, but we must come together for the jihadist-style raid on the Manchester athletic building and take over the AD duties.

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

tumblr_lvec74FNz41r26wf7.jpg

The dude almost won the title with a mid-major, of course he is getting a huge extension, and I'm sorry but he's not leaving lifetime job security to come build at the 4th or 5th best program in the ACC. He coulda had any job in the country minus 5 or so. Anyone that thinks we had a realistic shot at Stevens is crazy.

If you assume the interest in Stevens began the day he made the finals this would be correct. However, many, myself included, that had already had enough of Dino before he was fired, regularly included Stevens as a fantastic candidate to take over when we eventually made a switch. Wellman could easily have been hoping Stevens lost earlier so that he would be more attainable and more afforable.

The timing of Dino's firing being after the final (rather late for a coach to get fired postseason) supports my view that Stevens was absolutely our #1 target initially and that the timing of Dino's firing was not a coincidence if Wellman had his #1 target in mind. Of course, the overwhelming success in that tournament did indeed make Stevens unattainable.

Now, if you don't buy the above for whatever reason (it's not a huge stretch but I'll grant you it does require at least a small leap in the assumptions you believe), it still stands to reason that Wellman didn't necessarily start his search after Dino was fired. It's the job of an AD to have a list of top candidates already in place for your major programs at all times, in case something tragic or otherwise takes place. If he had considered firing Dino earlier in the year, he had months of head start on identifying candidates. Even if Miami was the last straw, that leaves almost exactly 1 full month to the day Buzz was hired. Buzz may or may not have been at the top of the list, or right after Stevens, but I can nearly guarantee he wasn't the only person on the list, because it's irresponsible to a fault and goes against everything else Wellman has done here. He may have failed miserably in his selection, but I'm damn near certain it wasn't because he shirked his duties as much as it was that he made a poor judgment.

Idk how many people have to say it but Wellman fucked up. After Stevens success it was obvious he would be unattainable and Bzz was the only person he considered.

RJ, I think we made at least one other foray and maybe a third.

Idk how many people have to say it but Wellman fucked up. After Stevens success it was obvious he would be unattainable and Bzz was the only person he considered.

This.

If the search started before Dino was fired and it was clear at that point that Bz was the best we could do, then Wellman should have kept Dino another year, seen what happened, and gone from there. I still have to believe that firing a guy who was 61-31 in 3 years didn't ingratiate us to any of the available candidates. If Dino had flopped miserably last year, that wouldn't have been the case.

If Wellman thought he had a real shot at landing Stevens - when he fired Dino - and whiffed that badly then he was woefully unprepared.

Either way, he fucked up inexcusably.

BTW, does anyone think guitar could be an AD plant?

Lat year the plants were telling us how great Bz is. Now that Bz looks like he could take Wellman down with him, could this be how it goes?

Anybody else for pulling a UNC-G and firing [Redacted] and putting Rusty in charge, akin to UNC-G firing Dement and letting Wes Miller take the reins? Just sayin. ;)

Anybody else for pulling a UNC-G and firing [Redacted] and putting Rusty in charge, akin to UNC-G firing Dement and letting Wes Miller take the reins? Just sayin. ;)

No because I dont want to replace one woefully unprepared coach with another.

This.

If the search started before Dino was fired and it was clear at that point that Bz was the best we could do, then Wellman should have kept Dino another year, seen what happened, and gone from there. I still have to believe that firing a guy who was 61-31 in 3 years didn't ingratiate us to any of the available candidates. If Dino had flopped miserably last year, that wouldn't have been the case.

If Wellman thought he had a real shot at landing Stevens - when he fired Dino - and whiffed that badly then he was woefully unprepared.

I don't think anyone denies that he fucked up. I think some people here are claiming that [Redacted] was choice #1 and the reason we fired Gaudio was to go get him, and that's simply not correct. We fired him thinking we could land a better coach and [Redacted] was the fall back after we whiffed because we set our sights on coaches who either weren't interested (Alford) or were unavailable due to an incredible postseason run.

BTW, does anyone think guitar could be an AD plant?

Lat year the plants were telling us how great Bz is. Now that Bz looks like he could take Wellman down with him, could this be how it goes?

trust-no-one.jpg

This.

You have no idea what the people around Stevens said to Wellman or his people.

Thus to make such a statement starts from a predetermined position.

Back