• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If Bz was to go

Nuggets. I've gone over it a bunch so I'm not going to do it again, but the year prior to Melo arriving in Denver, his coaching performance was widely admired by a lot of people in the NBA, which is why he got jobs afterwards.

The next year, the Nuggets made the playoffs and the turnaround in wins from the previous year was like the 2nd greatest turnaround in NBA history, I think after the Spurs after adding Duncan and Robinson coming back from injury.

The year after that, KMart was signed for like $90 million against Bzd'd objection, KMart found out and confronted him may have threatened him and Denver management backed their new max player and he was gone in 10 games. That's it a nutshell.

Cool, maybe we can draft the next Tim Duncan and Melo and have the greatest comeback in ACC history?

Nuggets. I've gone over it a bunch so I'm not going to do it again, but the year prior to Melo arriving in Denver, his coaching performance was widely admired by a lot of people in the NBA, which is why he got jobs afterwards.

The next year, the Nuggets made the playoffs and the turnaround in wins from the previous year was like the 2nd greatest turnaround in NBA history, I think after the Spurs after adding Duncan and Robinson coming back from injury.

The year after that, KMart was signed for like $90 million against Bzd'd objection, KMart found out and confronted him may have threatened him and Denver management backed their new max player and he was gone in 10 games. That's it a nutshell.

Looks like Kmart was the wise one in that kerfuffle:)

KMart is many things, but wise isn't one of them.

In the end, Bzd was correct though in believing it was an awful max signing. Perhaps the worst max signing of the decade. An undersized PF whose knees were going coming off an NBA Finals in which Duncan toyed with him before destroying him. Give him the same money as Duncan and Shaq. Sweet signing.

Man, I hope we hire Vinny Del Negro as our next coach. His turnaround with the Clippers this year is so impressive! He must be an Xs and Os genius whose skills would surely translate to the college level!

C'mon. I think the hire was universally panned by the board. I think that half of us were trying to see something positive out of the complete, "WTF moment" of finding out that he was out coach. I don't remember a lot of people being super excited about the guy. People were trying to see the logic behind the hire.

I am pretty sure Goodman broke the news on a Friday afternoon. God that sucked. The time between Gaudio being fired and the announcement was like Xmas Eve. So much anticipation. Who could we get? We were recently #1 in the country, we are an ACC basketball school and perceived as the best opening available. We also had a top class coming in. The possibilities were endless.

And then we hear Jeff [Redacted] has been hired. Who is that guy? Hiring him was like showing up to prom with a chick that is completely busted.

Anyway, the point is that I don't remember a "number" of people being excited about him. Remember that Deman's wife had to get on the boards and ask why he had been freaking out at home so much.

Moon has the reaction thread saved. Do something worthwhile for once in your life and post it, Moon.

Man, I hope we hire Vinny Del Negro as our next coach. His turnaround with the Clippers this year is so impressive! He must be an Xs and Os genius whose skills would surely translate to the college level!

*Sigh* Del Negro is a helluva coach and probably could lead a college program.

But again, the job Bzd that got him noticed was not the Melo rookie year, it was the year before. It was compared to a college team in the way they competed despite really sucking.

But I don't think you guys are really looking for straight answers ... if you need a whipping boy, I'll be it. I loved the hire, thought he would succeed and still think he'll get the program to a pretty good place over the next two years.

I do expect he gets those two years unless next year is not much better than this one.

*Sigh* Del Negro is a helluva coach and probably could lead a college program.

But again, the job Bzd that got him noticed was not the Melo rookie year, it was the year before. It was compared to a college team in the way they competed despite really sucking.

But I don't think you guys are really looking for straight answers ... if you need a whipping boy, I'll be it. I loved the hire, thought he would succeed and still think he'll get the program to a pretty good place over the next two years.

I do expect he gets those two years unless next year is not much better than this one.

You'd think he'd have gotten another NBA head job if he was that impressive.

From what I recall, most people fell into the "Huh? Oh, yea I remember him. Umm...ok. Well, in Wellman I trust. I assume Stevens, etc. weren't available and that Ron knows what he's doing."

You'd think he'd have gotten another NBA head job if he was that impressive.

Or ANY NBA job after he was fired from the Nuggets. He hasn't coached in the NBA since.

Que jaybone saying that's because [Redacted] never wanted to coach in the NBA again.

I would also like to add that I have no interest in having sex with Adrianna Lima and that is the only reason I haven't done so in my life.

Or ANY NBA job after he was fired from the Nuggets. He hasn't coached in the NBA since.

Que jaybone saying that's because [Redacted] never wanted to coach in the NBA again.

I would also like to add that I have no interest in having sex with Adrianna Lima and that is the only reason I haven't done so in my life.

We've discussed the fact that [Redacted] called Air Force on his own right?

I think he was actually at the hospital with his family (something related to his daughter's health, if memory serves) and he read about the position opening up in the paper. I remember watching an interview (maybe right when he was introduced here) w/ him where he discussed this.

Jaybone has to be trolling at this point

This board was generally up in arms when Bzzz was hired.

Personally, I thought it was a mistake to fire Dino, but I was excited that we might get a good replacement.

When it became apparent that Bzzz was the choice, I felt we had probably ruined our basketball program for the foreseeable future.

Then deacfreke thought it was a great hire, and I knew we were fucked. :)

I'm certain I thought that when he was hired. Actually, it went more like this:
"Jeff [Redacted] huh? Let me look this guy up. Oh, that's not good. This definitely isn't good. Yikes. No way Wake couldn't get a better coach than this. WTF was Wellman thinking. Fuuuuuuuuuuck!"

He was on no one's radar. I love how a number of folks on the old board were suddenly experts on him, claimed they had been closely following his career for years, and were eager to tell everyone what a great hire he was- and to call anyone who doubted the wisdom of the hire an idiot.
"Awesome! One thing I'm not worried is getting recruits. NBA level talent is gonna want to play for a NBA coach!"
"Check out what Melo said about him!"
"He's an x's and o's genius. Remember that Air Force game?"

If only I could resurrect those posts.

pos rep!

On train. Thanks for asking of me.

And yes it is true from what I have heard that bzd swore off the NBA after the kmart thing.

I think I'm kind of done on these game by game threads. I hung around today to sort of take my medicine.

I am bummed by the game, hope we can pull out at least two wins over these last few weeks and pretty sure that the timeframes and goals I laid out are more in line ith wellmans thinking than those here, but that game leaves a black cloud that can only be cleared by a strong finish. A win over bc and tech are not going to do that.

I'm still looking at the big picture numbers and 13-15 wins following 8 wins I
is a good start if not a dynamic one.

if detroit had friggin drafted melo instead of outthinking themselves into darko, we wouldn't be in this mess. great call, joe d!

On train. Thanks for asking of me.

And yes it is true from what I have heard that bzd swore off the NBA after the kmart thing.

I think I'm kind of done on these game by game threads. I hung around today to sort of take my medicine.

I am bummed by the game, hope we can pull out at least two wins over these last few weeks and pretty sure that the timeframes and goals I laid out are more in line ith wellmans thinking than those here, but that game leaves a black cloud that can only be cleared by a strong finish. A win over bc and tech are not going to do that.

I'm still looking at the big picture numbers and 13-15 wins following 8 wins I
is a good start if not a dynamic one.

Bone, I guess what is so frustrating to me is that the only times we are competitive is when we play our best game. When we don't play our best game, we get blasted by 20-30 pts. Even BC is now starting to compete with a roster that is all unheralded freshmen.

I can't speak to bc because I haven't watched them but you're basically saying we're talent deprived and you are correct

I get that our roster sucks and that we lack size, point guard play, depth, and probably eight million things. But you can't honestly tell me that what we've seen the last 1.5 seasons is the best this program can do. No way, no how.

Back