• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If Bz was to go

So we go from a losing prick to a winning prick, at least its a step.

True, and I wasn't saying that should rule him out, just passing off the words coming thru the grapevines. Figuratively, not literally.

Yes

That is the word..
The word also is that he wins..

I'd live with that for a while..

Hell, I'd be willing to give Jeff Jones a second chance, seeing what he's done at American.. The guy from Wingate, somebody.. with a multi year winning record at some level..

Firstly, Wellman could have gone after marshall before, and he didn't. I don't think that's going to change.

Secondly, Marshall will use Wake as a stepping stone if at all possible.

Thirdly, yes, he is a class-A prick.

Firstly, Wellman could have gone after marshall before, and he didn't. I don't think that's going to change.

Secondly, Marshall will use Wake as a stepping stone if at all possible.

Thirdly, yes, he is a class-A prick.

A stepping stone? He'd be in a conference coaching against K, Roy, Boeheim, Dixon, Turgeon, Bennett, Brownell, Gottfried... Where else would he go? The ACC is gonna be back bigger than ever in the next couple of seasons and I'd love for Wake to be a part of the winners circle rather than the conference doormat.

I don't know why we should be worried about a coach using us a stepping stone. He'd have to do a good job here to get that more desired job anyways. That seems like worrying about recruiting talent because they might go pro.

If any coach were to use WF as a stepping stone, then presumably he would've been successful here and won games in order to have such an opportunity. I'd take that right about now.

Wake has never been a stepping stone in college basketball because we have never had a coach good enough (/with the right timing) to use it as such. I'd be delighted if we became one.

I would take Marshall in a heartbeat. K is a class A prick too and he also happens to be the best coach in college BB. I'll take it.

Mitch Barnhart didn't go after John Calipari after Tubby Smith, instead hiring Billy Gillispie -- a colossal mistake. After 2 years, he realized this mistake, fired Gillispie and went after Calipari, so this is not unprecedented.

Gregg Marshall would be an absolute grand slam hire IMO.

Absolutely this.

But word is that Marshall is not shy about demanding what he needs to win and taking credit when he does. That is probably why Wellman passed him over.

But he is a WINNER and he won't back down from Roy, K or any other coach in the ACC.

I wish there were a coach lottery. We'd have a great shot at the #1 overall draft pick.

Has everyone forgotten that Odom made efforts to use Wake as a stepping stone and was thwarted? Additionally, Prosser had every opportunity to use Wake as a stepping stone and it was very expensive for us to sway him. Coaches using Wake as a weigh station on the way to something better isn't going to benefit Wake. The more coaching hires we have to make, the gerater chance that we make a mistake. Case in point, our current coaching hire.

I disagree with Jaybone. Our tempo has definitely slowed during ACC play. Right now in KenPom we're 124th in tempo (i.e we're the 124th most up-tempo team in the nation), while we were between 25th and 75th during most of the non-conference season iirc.

Our games against Loyola, Georgia Southern, Dayton and Yale each had more possessions than any of our conference games to date, despite the fact that none of those 4 teams are particularly up-tempo.

It appears we are more successful when we play faster but do have two wins (Nebraska and VA Tech) when we have slowed it down.

Bzz's decision to slow the game down is not paying off and we have certainly slowed the game down in the ACC

Has everyone forgotten that Odom made efforts to use Wake as a stepping stone and was thwarted? Additionally, Prosser had every opportunity to use Wake as a stepping stone and it was very expensive for us to sway him. Coaches using Wake as a weigh station on the way to something better isn't going to benefit Wake. The more coaching hires we have to make, the gerater chance that we make a mistake. Case in point, our current coaching hire.

Good problem to have.

Gregg Marshall didn't get his Wichita State team above .500 until his 3rd year. He is no savior, and a prick. On the assumption that Wellman is still our AD, keep in mind he hires nice guys. They may be intense or even a little prickly, but god-fearing, family-centered people. If you want to guess on the next hire, I would start from there.

Shaka Smart, Anthony Grant, Chris Mack, Pat Kelsey in that order would be my guess. All family men. A few of them may even actually fear God. You can throw Battle in at #1 if Wellman fires Bzd at the end of this year and move Kelsey up to #2

Better than "Jeff Bzdelk? Fuck."

I'm certain I thought that when he was hired. Actually, it went more like this:
"Jeff [Redacted] huh? Let me look this guy up. Oh, that's not good. This definitely isn't good. Yikes. No way Wake couldn't get a better coach than this. WTF was Wellman thinking. Fuuuuuuuuuuck!"

He was on no one's radar. I love how a number of folks on the old board were suddenly experts on him, claimed they had been closely following his career for years, and were eager to tell everyone what a great hire he was- and to call anyone who doubted the wisdom of the hire an idiot.
"Awesome! One thing I'm not worried is getting recruits. NBA level talent is gonna want to play for a NBA coach!"
"Check out what Melo said about him!"
"He's an x's and o's genius. Remember that Air Force game?"

If only I could resurrect those posts.

And how could I forget, "Just wait till he gets here and implements his system. It's a thing of beauty."

LMAO! If only we could bring back those posts!

Back