• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If Bz was to go

This whole thread just furthers my depression regarding the wake forest basketball program.

Hey jaybone. I have an NBA question for you. Looking at the Sixers roster I don't get where they've become a team with a good record. How are they doing it? Thanks.

Hey jaybone. I have an NBA question for you. Looking at the Sixers roster I don't get where they've become a team with a good record. How are they doing it? Thanks.

haha. good coach, good young players, but I think you are just fucking with me.

What "crazy shit" have I thrown up" on this thread? This is the thread yo uare complaining about.

So now you have two sets of rules for me. First I can't make contructive criticisms about anyone's game. Next, I am the only person who can't have "fucked up words".

I would thought this of you.

I'm just pointing out that saying Chase is a "guard who can't guard guards" is not what I would call constructive criticism, nor would you if someone else had wrote that.

I'm not that interested in a lot of posters posts so I'm not going to point out their fucked up words. Why bother? I thought I'd bother with you.

First of all, last year Ari didn't buy into the offense. There were other distractions.

the fact is we are playing better than last year on offense as is shown by committing about 20% few TOs/game.

Our major problem is the bigs haven't gotten it yet. They don't make themselves available for passes in positions where they can score.

In addition to lower TOs, we are giving up fewer points than last year.

there is still a ways to go. We have made progress.

We are still woefully short on the bench. This problem leads to other problems and will hopefully be fixed ned year.

Also our lack of rebounding makes it so we get very few easy baskets. Again we may have addressed part of this for next year.

We have made progress, but not nearly enough being 50 games in. I vote it's some combination of the players and the coaches, probably weighted 40/60*. I think that's pretty reasonable.

*more towards the coaches because I feel like the game plan of trying to shorten the game by using almost all of the shot clock every possession is foolhardy given our lack of discipline on offense/defense and the fact that it isn't even how [Redacted] wants to run the offense from a long term perspective

We have made progress, but not nearly enough being 50 games in. I vote it's some combination of the players and the coaches, probably weighted 40/60*. I think that's pretty reasonable.

*more towards the coaches because I feel like the game plan of trying to shorten the game by using almost all of the shot clock every possession is foolhardy given our lack of discipline on offense/defense and the fact that it isn't even how [Redacted] wants to run the offense from a long term perspective

Hard to argue that, but I think the gameplan for the year was drawn up when the assumption was that Walker was not going to step up and our 5 spot was going to be manned by Walker last year, Carson, and Green.

Walker has made just a huge difference defensively. Frankly, Carson has been pretty good in spots too, but without Walker wouldn't have been able to hold up for 30 minutes. Our defensive FG% in most games has been pretty good since Walker's return. He changes a lot shots.

Hard to change the game plan 15 games in. Grobe has tried to change our offensive approach half way through a season to mixed results, but I think it is harder to do in hoops.

While it was an attempt at "look at the shiny ball over here", it was also a serious question.

haha. Okay. I've always liked Doug Collins as a coach. In the past, players have started to tune him out three or four years in, but maybe he is older now.

The 76ers come at you in waves. They have 8 or 9 guys averaging over 9 points a game. They don't shoot all that well, but play pretty good to very good defense.

I have to be honest, I have hardly seen them play, but 8 or 9 guys averaging 9+ points is unheard of. Got to think they massacre their opponents 2nd teams on most nights and 2nd teams this year are playing more because of the crammed schedule.

Their 6th man leads them in scoring. They have 4 bench players averaging over 9 points. That's crazy.

Yeah, but our lack of depth pretty makes it impossible to speed things up. Hopefully it won't be the case next year. :noidea:

the fact is we are playing better than last year on offense as is shown by committing about 20% few TOs/game.

In addition to lower TOs, we are giving up fewer points than last year.

RJ... in response to these two points, how much of this do you think is the players/coaches improving and how much do you think this is due to the significantly slower pace of the games this season? I admit that choosing to play slow is a coach's decision, but it also limits the number of possessions in which there could be a TO or that the other team can score points.

Offensive turnover % down from 22.0% (272nd) in 2011 to 19.5% (110th) in 2012

Defensive Efficiency from 106.9 (256th) to 102.1 (195th)

Those are two areas we have improved. There are others. Probably not enough overall for my liking. However, next year is going to be the important one for this regime anyways, so at least this year's performance is the baseline moving forward to measure improvement, rather than last year, which almost guaranteed improvement this year based on just how bad we were.

Hard to argue that, but I think the gameplan for the year was drawn up when the assumption was that Walker was not going to step up and our 5 spot was going to be manned by Walker last year, Carson, and Green.

Walker has made just a huge difference defensively. Frankly, Carson has been pretty good in spots too, but without Walker wouldn't have been able to hold up for 30 minutes. Our defensive FG% in most games has been pretty good since Walker's return. He changes a lot shots.

Hard to change the game plan 15 games in. Grobe has tried to change our offensive approach half way through a season to mixed results, but I think it is harder to do in hoops.

Except we ran a much faster tempo the first part of the season.

We played lesser teams. Of course the tempo will be faster.

We can't score with ACC teams. The lower the score. The better chance we have.

We played lesser teams. Of course the tempo will be faster.

We can't score with ACC teams. The lower the score. The better chance we have.

This post actually had 0 typos, but the grammar went out the window.

No. I'm saying you fucked up how you presented a perceived negative aspect of Chase's game and I think it makes you a hypocrite.

You don't get to tell one poster that they are hurting the program by blah blah blah one week and posting somewhat similar stuff a week later. You come off like a reactionary fool.

And I disagree with you, btw. I think Chase works hard on D and does a pretty good job. Woods got most of his points with Travis on him last weekend, not Chase, and Chase guarded him for a long stretch of the game. Because Woods is a standstill shooter and Chase didn't cheat off him and duck into the lane the way Travis did. I also think Chase forced at least one if not two moving screen calls by working hard to get through a screen. Travis slid under the screen and around. Not going to get moving screen calls if you don't attack the screener.

Again, not saying Chase is Bruce Bowen on defense. I think he has the potential to be a better defender. He works so hard to stay in front of his man AND defend the jumper that he gets beat off the dribble. Some of that, he has happy feet which means he can fix that. Some of it is just athleticism/lateral speed, but regardless, when the game slows down he'll get a little better.

I spent the entire time reading this post and another minute or two longer trying to figure out why Chase Fischer was guarding Tony Woods.

Then I realized you meant Scott Wood.

Carry on, you two.

Except we ran a much faster tempo the first part of the season.

I don't think that's true. We run off missed shots and pre-ACC our opponents took more bad shots that we ran off of. But even against some bad opponents, we played a relatively slow tempo.

I just quickly checked the box scores of games we scored in the 80s OOC and games we scored in the 50s in the ACC. We take between 48-60 shots in every game I checked. We just hit like 60% of our shots against High Point and others while more like 40% in ACC.

Back