• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If I was Wellman I'd do the same thing

Rolfe

Daylight in the swamp
Reaction score
Publicly make no comment, while back channeling that Bzz is staying. In the meantime, I'd be working the tournament to find and lock down a first choice candidate. If you get who you truly want, great - thank Bzzz for his efforts and move forward. If not, steel your nerves for another year. The biggest mistake he made last time around was letting Gaudio go without having the next coach signed, and he got caught with his pants down.

Maybe its just wishful thinking, but it makes me feel better than last night when I was furious that I have no interest in watching the tournament.

It's despicable to shop around a job that doesn't exist.

Publicly make no comment, while back channeling that Bzz is staying. In the meantime, I'd be working the tournament to find and lock down a first choice candidate. If you get who you truly want, great - thank Bzzz for his efforts and move forward. If not, steel your nerves for another year. The biggest mistake he made last time around was letting Gaudio go without having the next coach signed, and he got caught with his pants down.

Maybe its just wishful thinking, but it makes me feel better than last night when I was furious that I have no interest in watching the tournament.

I completely agree with you.

As I've said, I also think its possible that Wellman is back channeling support but secretively planning for a resignation behind the scenes. Wellman could save face (in his own mind, at least) if it appears Bz is the one who walks away.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Bz wanted to get out on his own. His daughter is graduating, he just lost his top scoring threat, he is talking to WFPD about his safety, and his schedule is about to get considerably tougher with the ACC expanding.

If Bz thinks he's got 1 more year, I can't imagine him wanting to stay. Now if he's guaranteed more than 1 year, that changes things. A multi-year extension would be the real kick in the nuts.

Last edited:
The biggest mistake he made last time around was letting Gaudio go without having the next coach signed, and he got caught with his pants down.
Don't believe it.

The biggest mistake he made last time was shopping around a job on the road while the head coach was feeling the heat at home.

I would also do what Ron is doing if I was planning on keeping him. I would t say anything. Wouldn't get caught in any interviews. I would just go dark until football season. The only press for wake basketball right now is bad press.

The biggest mistake he made last time was shopping around a job on the road while the head coach was feeling the heat at home.

Yeah, but I always felt like Dino could breath a little sigh of relief after beating Texas, since the big knock on him at the time was no ACC tournament wins or postseason NCAA or NIT wins since becoming head coach. I remember thinking the win against Texas probably sealed that Dino would be retained, but unfortunately based on who replaced him, I was wrong.

Dino was still getting national pressure based on the Miami game.

I would also do what Ron is doing if I was planning on keeping him. I would t say anything. Wouldn't get caught in any interviews. I would just go dark until football season. The only press for wake basketball right now is bad press.

Yup. Mum's the word.

Isn't it just industry standard? Always best to line up a replacement.

These are adults. I don't see it as despicable at all.

orly.jpg

Well, assuming all the suggestions here are logical, I suspect we can anticipate a very different response in the near future.

Keep trying to justify it to yourselves however you want, but Wellman has dug in and gone into full on bunker mode.

He is sticking with [Redacted].

Yep. [Redacted] will be back, RW's legacy is now hitched to Bzz's future success(or lack thereof). He'll ride this to the bitter end.

Keep trying to justify it to yourselves however you want, but Wellman has dug in and gone into full on bunker mode.
Has dug in? He's always been dug in. He has a plan/experiment and he's sticking to it. I don't think he's stuck on 3 more years, but Bz will get one more year regardless of the extension talk (which would be done for recruiting). If problems persist then I expect Bz to be out the door. He's not going to make a decision based on the results of a team of freshmen.

My concern is...what then?

He doesn't make an announcement. That just creates a fire storm. The good news is that Dan Collins and several other journalists will hopefully pester him enough to force a comment.

Back