• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If not Petersen (Boise), PSU on the record as interested in Grobe

True, but we'd still get that money if we didn't pay our coach $2.5 million. Using the money that Wake generates is more accurate in that sense.

Yeah, but we make the decision to pay our coach $2.5 with that $$ calculated into the picture. You can't cut up the picture and expect it to make sense. Besides, I'm certain that Wake football program generates far more $$ post-grobe than pre-grobe, both in "football" money (i.e. ticket sales, etc) as well as general money (i.e. DC contributions).

The Duke football revenue is pretty funny, also BC had more football revenue than FSU in '09-'10 (IIRC the statements are tied to title IX compliance).

:thumbsup:

It helps to know a little bit about the reporter. Ron Musselman hates Penn State with every fiber of his being. From what I have heard they had more than 20 inquiries about the job. It isn't toxic. They already have their man. It will be announced after Penn State's bowl game (before the current recruiting quiet period ends).

Oh. And it ain't Grobe!

greggdoyelcbs Gregg Doyel
You misspelled G-r-o-b-e RT @BFeldmanCBS: Munchak not interested, but this who PSU should pursue: bit.ly/tu2jC3

Here's a graph (from Business of College Sports) showing football hasn't been turning a profit for two straight years, and basketball's $3.5mil profit in '10-'11 is funding non-revenue sports.
http://businessofcollegesports.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/acc-10-112.jpg?w=788

The numbers can definitely be misleading; FSU just started to break out their contributions by sport which explains their huge profit jump. Also Wake has $24mil listed as non-sport specific revenue on op.ed.gov (UVA is $48mil), which is a combination of contributions and student fees.

acc-10-111.jpg

Unfortunately, WFU profits are down $2.88mil from last year, for football and basketball. op.ed.gov stats show that Wake turned a profit of $888,960 in '09-'10, but $0 profit in '10-'11.
http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetails.aspx?756e697469643d31393938343726796561723d323031302673656172636843726974657269613d3331336437373631366236353230363636663732363537333734323637323634373433643331333232663332333732663332333033313331323033313332336133303335336133313337323035303464267264743d31322f32372f323031312031323a30353a313720504d

The numbers on Duke football don't make any sense. They only have $2-3M less than F$U. How is that possible?

How can we even analyze those numbers? What basis of accounting are they on? Do they allocate expenses the same way at each school? Do we include booster revenue? Have those numbers even been audited?

How much does Wake really need to disclose considering we are not a public institution?

The numbers on Duke football don't make any sense. They only have $2-3M less than F$U. How is that possible?

The idea that in '10-'11, Duke had $18.2 million in football REVENUE while Wake reported $9.4 million tells you that different accounting standards are being used at each school and that the comparisons are meaningless. Using this chart to say that Wake Forest football is a money loser and is bring propped up by basketball is absurd at best.

This thread has digressed into a discussion of football revenues and everyone is ignoring the fact that Grobe STILL really isn't on PSU's radar screen right now.

However.... with the rate that people are shooting down PSU interest I actually think Grobe might have a chance to make it onto a few more "internet speculation coaching candidate lists". I'd be VERY surprised if he got serious consideration before they talk to at least 8 other potential candidates first. Right now the PSU head coaching job seems like total taboo to every one of their candidates.

I'd have to imagine recruiting at PSU is going to be a bitch for the next few years. That may turn some coaching candidates away in itself.

It helps to know a little bit about the reporter. Ron Musselman hates Penn State with every fiber of his being. From what I have heard they had more than 20 inquiries about the job. It isn't toxic. They already have their man. It will be announced after Penn State's bowl game (before the current recruiting quiet period ends).

Oh. And it ain't Grobe!

So then...who is it?

Oh. And it ain't Grobe!

Don't know much about Musselman, but I have to agree it can't be as toxic as many think it is. The threat of any NCAA sanctions is far less than it was with tOSU, and they still got Urban Meyer. They've cleaned house of those involved in the scandal.

At the end of the day they are still going to put 100,000+ in the seats for every home game. And no matter the circumstances that's going to be a big draw for any coach.

I haven't seen him officially say he isn't interested but Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements is the clear #3 choice after Peterson and the Titans guy right?

I haven't seen him officially say he isn't interested but Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements is the clear #3 choice after Peterson and the Titans guy right?

Talk about moving from one of the easiest jobs in the country to one of the hardest.

Oh. And it ain't Grobe!

Yeah, I think everyone probably assumes they already have their guy and they're waiting for his bowl game to be completed. While Coach Grobe would be a smart pick for them, I'm expecting it to be a bigger name with a higher win-loss record.

Yeah, I think everyone probably assumes they already have their guy and they're waiting for his bowl game to be completed. While Coach Grobe would be a smart pick for them, I'm expecting it to be a bigger name with a higher win-loss record.

Ummmm, no...it wouldn't be a smart pick.

He was like a young 81Deac with a little keeper in him. With time, most of his flaming was just over on premium. He also started posting under the handle, ImissRandolph.

The main thing I remember him for was criticizing anybody who criticized Lobo. This has been going on as long as I can remember. He's been posting at least as long as I have. I think I knew him back at Wake. What was funny about it was that he always shifted his position when presented with new facts. There was a big stink about using total offense (yards) vs. total scoring to judge an offense. When presented with the facts that Lobo's offenses were among the worst regardless of the measure, he shifted to something like, "Well I didn't say Lobo was good, just that he gets too much criticism that should have gone to Lambert." Of course, he started this in Lambert's 1st or 2nd season in which most posters were giving him a fair shot and it didn't explain is longtime claim that people who criticized Lobo were off-base.

He's got a well-defined trolling style that made him easy to ID over here.

LOL… “Ph is wrong again”. He should be used to this phrase by now.

I have never posted under the handle ImissRandolph on this board or over on Scout. And unlike many of the clowns and dipshits who now post over here, I don’t feel the need to create multiple aliases.

So if I were Ph, I wouldn’t quit my day job to moonlight as an FBI agent. He should stick to being wrong and working towards achieving his status as a Playstation coaching wizard.

And it’s obvious reading comprehension was never his strong suit as my argument never changed.

From 2003-2011, total offense outperformed total defense in conference standing 6 out of 9 years. In two seasons (2007 & 2010) the conference standing was the same. Total defense outperformed total offense in 2008 by a wide margin.

From 2003-2011, scoring offense outperformed scoring defense in conference standing 5 out of 9 years. In two seasons (2004 & 2009) the conference standing was the same. Scoring defense outperformed scoring offense in 2006 and 2008 by a wide margin.

Those are the numbers. Interpret them as you wish.

Many (i.e Ph and others) didn’t like it when these stats were posted because the numbers didn’t support their position that Lobo is the worst coordinator in the country. Thus… I was accused of being a Lobo apologist even though I lobbied for a change at OC years ago. Vintage Ph.

"I don’t feel the need to create multiple aliases."

I was PhDeac over there. I'm PhDeac over here. You seem to admit that you're DeaconBrad over there. Why need to create a different username, especially a profane name that references a sexual act?

All your stats show is what I've been saying. During most of Lobo's time as OC, the offense and defense have been bad. From 2006-08 the defense was good and significantly better than the offense. In 2007, the defense and special teams artificially inflated the scoring offense stats by scoring almost a TD a game and setting the offense up for several short scoring drives.

Those numbers definitely support the position that Lobo is a poor coordinator because it's not about our offense vs. our defense, it's about our offense's ability to score in games vs. other offenses.

Here are the numbers that DeaconBrad doesn't want you to see that I posted before the season.

Over the time that Lobo has been our OC, here is where Wake stands in Total Offense and Scoring Offense among 120 FBS teams

Total Offense (highest after the comma)
Average yards per game per season = 340.8 (#102, Texas Tech 501.2)
Average Total Offense rank = 82.4 (#104, Texas Tech 5.5)

Scoring offense

Average points per game per season = 24.1 (#80, Boise State 41.9)
Average TDs per season = 35.8 (#85, Boise State 71.4)
Average FGs per season = 12.3 (#93, Wisconsin 18.3)
Average scoring offense rank = 75.3 (#84, Boise State 4.1)

Average total/scoring offense rank = 78.8 (#96)

In other words, average together all the total offense and scoring offense ranks for Wake Forest in every year since 2003, it comes down to the #96 ranked offense out of 120 teams. By comparison, Duke is next to last in overall offense at #119. When you consider that in 2003, there were only 117 teams, that's stunning. UNC is at #97 and UVa is at #94. FSU is the best at #39. Keep in mind, they fired an OC over that stretch.
---------------------

10th worst offense in the ACC from 2003-10.

I think the stats support me just fine.

Back