• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If VT beats Clemson...

Ok State had their shot too and lost to fucking Iowa State.

I didn't know Iowa State was LSU. :plos:

But seriously, read my post again. The thought that Alabama could be "champion" after going 1-1 against the team they beat for the championship is ludicrous.

I can understand not wanting to see Bama play LSU again, but no way in hell does a 1 loss Ok. St. deserve it more than a 1 loss Bama.

But seriously, read my post again. The thought that Alabama could be "champion" after going 1-1 against the team they beat for the championship is ludicrous.

The thought of putting a worse team in the title game for the sole purpose of avoiding a rematch is even more ridiculous.

That's like saying an MLB team can't win a world series against a team that swept them in the regular season.

The whole idea of the BCS, screwed up as it is, was to identify the two best teams based on their body of work during the season and put them on the field to play for a national championship.

Few would argue that LSU and AL have not, at this point, proven themselves to be the two best teams. Given our current system, that means they should play for the championship.

To play this game with the understanding that there would be co-champs in the event of an AL win is ridiculous. It's a championship game. Not a "let's see if AL can win the rematch" game.

The whole idea of the BCS, screwed up as it is, was to identify the two best teams based on their body of work during the season and put them on the field to play for a national championship.

Few would argue that LSU and AL have not, at this point, proven themselves to be the two best teams. Given our current system, that means they should play for the championship.

To play this game with the understanding that there would be co-champs in the event of an AL win is ridiculous. It's a championship game. Not a "let's see if AL can win the rematch" game.

Exactly, whoever wins the championship game is the champion, it doesn't matter what happened before that.

I think that's actually exactly how the nation would understand it. No one would take such a championship very seriously, and you can count on LSU fans to remind everyone of that for decades to come if such things come to pass.

It's really not like that at all

how is it not? If Alabama beats LSU in the championship game, they are the outright Champion, it's not a tie just because LSU won a regular game against them, earlier in the season.

Its odd to say that a team could go 1-1 and not be considered the true champion when that is the case in every other sport.

how is it not? If Alabama beats LSU in the championship game, they are the outright Champion, it's not a tie just because LSU won a regular game against them, earlier in the season.

Do I really have to explain it? You conflated the MLB World Series process with the BCS process. One is a playoff system, and the other is not.

This isn't an argument between systems here. I think most would prefer a playoff. As is currently constructed though the BCS is supposed to put the two best teams on the field at the end of the year.

Do I really have to explain it? You conflated the MLB World Series process with the BCS process. One is a playoff system, and the other is not.

I'm just failing to see how the winner of the Championship game would not be considered a true champion because of a regular season loss; That defeats the purpose of a Championship game.

The reason it is an odd argument is, to be logically consistent, OK St supporters have to cede that Alabama would have been better off playing and losing to Iowa State than playing and losing to LSU. If you are constructing an argument about the best team in the sport (or 2nd best), that is an odd one to put forward.

I think that's actually exactly how the nation would understand it. No one would take such a championship very seriously, and you can count on LSU fans to remind everyone of that for decades to come if such things come to pass.

Independent of "who should" and "who shouldn't", based on the play this season, who are the best two teams, in your opinion?

How can anyone definitively say that Bama is better than OSU? We haven't seen them play each other, like we have LSU and Bama.

What happens if Bama loses, again, but OSU crushes whoever they play in their BCS bowl? You are going to have a lot of pissed off people asking why Bama was given a rematch before OSU was given their first shot.

Holla if you'd like to see an undefeated Houston get a chance at LSU!

In. At least we dont have to watch a rematch between two teams that the media will hype to no end because it will be a "defensive battle" when it is actually just a boring display off offensive ineptitude.

How can anyone definitively say that Bama is better than OSU? We haven't seen them play each other, like we have LSU and Bama.

What happens if Bama loses, again, but OSU crushes whoever they play in their BCS bowl? You are going to have a lot of pissed off people asking why Bama was given a rematch before OSU was given their first shot.

OK. So who faces LSU and why? Because you can't use future "what if's" as a basis for subjectively selecting the game's participants. Based on what we know today, who should be in the game?

OKST has lost one game - to an unranked IAST team. Bama has lost one game - to #1 LSU.

Back