• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If You Were Athletic Director

No, but I certainly like what Dave Odom & George Greer did for our school and they got canned by the AD.

George Welsh came to UVa in the 80's and completely changed their football culture without hurting their academic reputation. He told their president that if he took the job, he had to have 5 "bandits" a year on scholarship. Meaning anybody he wanted!

In 19 years at the helm, he became the winningest coach in school and Atlantic Coast Conference history. He was surpassed by Bobby Bowden of Florida State, but remains far and away the winningest coach in Virginia history (his 139 wins are more than double those of runner-up Al Groh). He was named ACC Coach of the Year four times (1983, 1984, 1991 and 1995) and National Coach of the Year one time (1991).Upon his retirement after the 2000 season, his 189 career victories ranked him 24th in Division I-A history. He was inducted to the College Football Hall of Fame in 2004.

You either want to win and maintain relevance in the ACC or you can go on with the same admissions junk we have had the past 10 years or so and take kids from out of the country and no longer from our region of the country and you get the kind of participation we have from students at our football & basketball games--pitiful. They don't grow up watching ACC games and don't care about anything but going to the library. Meanwhile they become zombies and add nothing to the campus life.

He's right. The north and west raises zombies. And FOREIGNERS???!!!! Good Christ. Don't get me started.

ETA: It's really hard to put into words just how ridiculous Reff's brain is. He's only one person, but he's also a cipher that represents everything that is wrong with LOWF, provincial thinking and old people in general. Quite uncanny, actually.

Last edited:
Hold presser and say two things:

1) Couldn't be happier; and

2) Hide yo' damn keys.

Racer, you must be talking way in the past. I haven't seen Duke football relevant in years. Stanford has had a few good years here recently in the Harbaugh era, but let's see if it keeps up. Stanford won a national title in football in 1926 under Pop Warner. They have had 10 top 10 finishes, the last in 1971 before the last 2 years

Hilarious that you pick Duke football to single out when you knew exactly what I was referring to.

No one said anything about being dominant. You've changed your argument. Your only implication was that we shouldn't even try to compete in the ACC with out current academic standards. Winning national titles would be nice, but it's hardly the ultimate goal of Wake Forest University. I'd rather cheer for a school with more integrity than the slimeballs you seem to worship down in the SEC. When we do win a title, we'll do it despite the obstacles we had to overcome.

Meanwhile the SEC has the last 6 football titles doing it the way it should be done--WINNING

A Reff who encourages and appreciates cheating. Sounds about right.

Wake has won a total of 2 ACC titles in football. Now if that is dominance, I want to see what business you are in. You must have your head under that water.

That's the cherry on top coming from a Reff who supports lowering college academic standards and cheating to win, and irrationally defends the indefensible on some unbelievably bad calls.

Last edited:
Racer, you must be talking way in the past. I haven't seen Duke football relevant in years. Stanford has had a few good years here recently in the Harbaugh era, but let's see if it keeps up. Stanford won a national title in football in 1926 under Pop Warner. They have had 10 top 10 finishes, the last in 1971 before the last 2 years

Wake has never won a national title in basketball and has gotten 4 total titles in the 55+ years of the ACC. Wake has won a total of 2 ACC titles in football. Now if that is dominance, I want to see what business you are in. You must have your head under that water.

Duke has had winning lacrosse & women's golf to go along with basketball. They haven't been squat in baseball or football in quite a while.

Meanwhile the SEC has the last 6 football titles doing it the way it should be done--WINNING

Just when you think TheReff has completely outdone himself with his pathetic defenses of indefensible refereeing and can't make any more asinine arguments, he comes up with this gem about the SEC. Yeah, right Reff, the SEC wins the way it should be done, just like Rosie Ruiz won the Boston Marathon the way it should be done. Only in TheReff's bizarro world is cheating equated with winning. If TheReff is a typical representative of ref-think, then how can anyone still wonder why the officiating in the ACC is so bad?

Back