• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If You Were Athletic Director

We're acedemics a problem in the last six years when we went to the Orange Bowl and were ranked #1 or #2 in the country in basketball?

In Reff's mind, yes. For some unbeknownst reason, he hates the idea that Wake might hold itself to higher standards than other schools we compete against. Then again, he's the same guy who defends reffing with a bias towards or against certain teams/players as the correct way to do his job.

Here is my platform as potential AD and my ten point plan at making Wake amazing...

1. Volleyball girls wear bikinis and we have the fire sprinklers spraying on them during games.
2. soccer girls wear bikinis and tear up the grass on soccer field and wet the field down before every game.
3. tennis girls wear bikinis and must make grunting noises on every hit
4. field hockey girls--had some lesbians on the team when I was at wake so make them wear bikinis and see what unfolds.
5. Fire Buzz's ass and use the revenue from the obvious increase in attendance at the above mentioned non revenue sports to pay Shaka Smart double what he makes now.
6. increased recruiting action due to hot female athletes partially naked combined with a halfway decent coach causes Wake Bball to win games. Winning games leads to even better recruiting so that in 2 years we become the first undefeated team since Indiana.
7. build a statue of myself on the magnolia quad
8. charge fees to pilgrims making trips to the mecca of my statue.
9. use these fees to hire female tutors/models/strippers and on field slushy machine for football team players.
10. increased recruits for football due to #9 leads to first national championship in football meaning Wake has NC in football and basketball in same year.

Now that is the culture we can believe in....Do I have your vote?

Me and my roommate say HELL YES.

Here is my platform as potential AD and my ten point plan at making Wake amazing...

1. Volleyball girls wear bikinis and we have the fire sprinklers spraying on them during games.
2. soccer girls wear bikinis and tear up the grass on soccer field and wet the field down before every game.
3. tennis girls wear bikinis and must make grunting noises on every hit
4. field hockey girls--had some lesbians on the team when I was at wake so make them wear bikinis and see what unfolds.
5. Fire Buzz's ass and use the revenue from the obvious increase in attendance at the above mentioned non revenue sports to pay Shaka Smart double what he makes now.
6. increased recruiting action due to hot female athletes partially naked combined with a halfway decent coach causes Wake Bball to win games. Winning games leads to even better recruiting so that in 2 years we become the first undefeated team since Indiana.
7. build a statue of myself on the magnolia quad
8. charge fees to pilgrims making trips to the mecca of my statue.
9. use these fees to hire female tutors/models/strippers and on field slushy machine for football team players.
10. increased recruits for football due to #9 leads to first national championship in football meaning Wake has NC in football and basketball in same year.

Now that is the culture we can believe in....Do I have your vote?
Me and my roommate say BALLS DEEP.

If I were to make a coaching change, this is how I'd go about it. First, I would announce the change as soon as the decision was made, not wait an extra two weeks. I would offer Battle a position in the athletic department and honor the other assistant's contracts. Second, this would be my short list (in order): Gregg Marshall, Frank Martin, Shaka Smart, Chris Mooney. I would offer up to $1.8mm in salary with heavy performance driven bonuses. This is my back-up list (again in order): Dan Hurley, Dave Paulsen, Wes Miller. I would offer up to $1.0mm for the first two and up to $700k for Miller, again with heavy performance incentives. Third, I would give the new head coach up to $400k to hire a top recruiter as associate head coach. If they asked for a suggestion, top of my list would be Tim Fuller. I would also suggested they chat with Childress regarding one of the assistant positions.

This is actually a very good time to be making a coaching change as we will see an influx of unspent, non-performance dependent revenue with the new TV deal.

i would use a SuperPAC to pay recruits. I don't know how it'll work, but let's make it happen.

Reff comes through with his "let's lower our standards" argument. Not surprising from someone who seems to have such low standards for his own profession.
[ Let's not make it personal Racer.

We need to be able to compete with the rest in our league and our region. Making it a little easier to get through and get in would not be the end of the world. Wake can still have it's sterling academic rep, just like Georgetown & Duke do and still have room for the huge revenue producing athletes.

The way we perform on the field of play has a direct impact with the number of applications we receive each year that allows us to keep charging the $57,000 for room, board & tuition.

If you don't want to let us get the athletes in school & through school, then we might as well leave the ACC and be a Furman. Then our professors would get a commiseurate salary.

[ Let's not make it personal Racer.

You're the one who named yourself "TheReff" and constantly comes to the defense of indefensible calls by others of your like...otherwise, I'm not sure how this is personal.

Last edited:
If you don't want to let us get the athletes in school & through school, then we might as well leave the ACC and be a Furman.

Stanford, Duke, and past Wake teams blow your argument completely out of the water. You strike me as someone who should have been cheering for Butch Davis down the road the last few years.

contract extension with fat pay increase for Buzz

Probably already too late. I'm sure Wellman got to work on that immediately after the GaTech game. Maintaining a "culture" like ours is expensive...

The correct answer is to hire Dino as co-coach, let them recruit separately, have a Black team and a Gold team, substitute five players at a time and see which team has the best season.

Stanford, Duke, and past Wake teams blow your argument completely out of the water. You strike me as someone who should have been cheering for Butch Davis down the road the last few years.

Racer, you must be talking way in the past. I haven't seen Duke football relevant in years. Stanford has had a few good years here recently in the Harbaugh era, but let's see if it keeps up. Stanford won a national title in football in 1926 under Pop Warner. They have had 10 top 10 finishes, the last in 1971 before the last 2 years

Wake has never won a national title in basketball and has gotten 4 total titles in the 55+ years of the ACC. Wake has won a total of 2 ACC titles in football. Now if that is dominance, I want to see what business you are in. You must have your head under that water.

Duke has had winning lacrosse & women's golf to go along with basketball. They haven't been squat in baseball or football in quite a while.

Meanwhile the SEC has the last 6 football titles doing it the way it should be done--WINNING

No, but I certainly like what Dave Odom & George Greer did for our school and they got canned by the AD.

George Welsh came to UVa in the 80's and completely changed their football culture without hurting their academic reputation. He told their president that if he took the job, he had to have 5 "bandits" a year on scholarship. Meaning anybody he wanted!

In 19 years at the helm, he became the winningest coach in school and Atlantic Coast Conference history. He was surpassed by Bobby Bowden of Florida State, but remains far and away the winningest coach in Virginia history (his 139 wins are more than double those of runner-up Al Groh). He was named ACC Coach of the Year four times (1983, 1984, 1991 and 1995) and National Coach of the Year one time (1991).Upon his retirement after the 2000 season, his 189 career victories ranked him 24th in Division I-A history. He was inducted to the College Football Hall of Fame in 2004.

You either want to win and maintain relevance in the ACC or you can go on with the same admissions junk we have had the past 10 years or so and take kids from out of the country and no longer from our region of the country and you get the kind of participation we have from students at our football & basketball games--pitiful. They don't grow up watching ACC games and don't care about anything but going to the library. Meanwhile they become zombies and add nothing to the campus life.

Last edited:
No, but I certainly like what Dave Odom & George Greer did for our school and they got canned by the AD.

George Welsh came to UVa in the 80's and completely changed their football culture without hurting their academic reputation. He told their president that if he took the job, he had to have 5 "bandits" a year on scholarship. Meaning anybody he wanted!

In 19 years at the helm, he became the winningest coach in school and Atlantic Coast Conference history. He was surpassed by Bobby Bowden of Florida State, but remains far and away the winningest coach in Virginia history (his 139 wins are more than double those of runner-up Al Groh). He was named ACC Coach of the Year four times (1983, 1984, 1991 and 1995) and National Coach of the Year one time (1991).Upon his retirement after the 2000 season, his 189 career victories ranked him 24th in Division I-A history. He was inducted to the College Football Hall of Fame in 2004.

You either want to win and maintain relevance in the ACC or you can go on with the same admissions junk we have had the past 10 years or so and take kids from out of the country and no longer from our region of the country and you get the kind of participation we have from students at our football & basketball games--pitiful. They don't grow up watching ACC games and don't care about anything but going to the library. Meanwhile they become zombies and add nothing to the campus life.

Wake Forest has out grown you old man. Time for you to realize that and stop wishing for it to turn back into something it hasn't been in 15 years.

We're a national university now, and we aren't going back, regardless of how many misguided, provincial pleas are made.

Back