• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If you're headed to the Outer Banks this summer

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
Check out this great app that a friend of mine made. It'll immediately show you a list of the closest public beach accesses, give you directions, show you what is available at the access (i.e., restrooms, shower, lifeguard, parking, etc.), and show you a picture of the access so you know what you're looking for. It's good for every beach access from Hatteras to Corolla. I think they did a great job with it, so I'm trying to spread the word.

iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/take-me-to-the-beach-obx/id661488990?mt=8
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inductiveideas.tothebeach

pretty cool, just sent it to my friends who left yesterday for a weeklong trip, hope they can use it

Be sure to see The Lost Colony!

Yeah, you and all the other tourists and congregate and see what used to be a decent show. If you need some suggestions about where to go, PM me. I'm from the Outer Banks.

01_27_t.gif

i have to say that it fucking sucks that the outer banks became such a swarming mess of humanity

i have to say that it fucking sucks that the outer banks became such a swarming mess of humanity

No kidding. That's why if you want to vacation there, go in late August or September. Most all of the tourists are gone and the beaches are still really warm and all the good places are still open. Last time I was home for the 4th, I had to leave the island the day before to do something inland and came back the morning of the 4th. It took me 2 hours to get over the bridge onto the island. It was fucking crazy.

Heading to Corolla Friday. As to ITC comment, yeah, during the summers it gets busy with yank tourists, but the off season is still real slow and peaceful. Still better for quiet than most beaches (esp NC/SC beaches).

No kidding. That's why if you want to vacation there, go in late August or September. Most all of the tourists are gone and the beaches are still really warm and all the good places are still open. Last time I was home for the 4th, I had to leave the island the day before to do something inland and came back the morning of the 4th. It took me 2 hours to get over the bridge onto the island. It was fucking crazy.

Yuuuuuup.

Don't drive anywhere on Saturday.

We always go after Labor Day and/or early in the Spring. We especially like late September.

Only bad thing about vacationing in the Outer Banks in late August or September is hurricane season. The worst storms of the year are usually in September.

Going in the high season is fine if you:

1) Can afford an oceanfront property, or one with its own beach access
2) Get a cottage that changes over on Friday or Monday instead of Saturday. Just plan on getting all your grocery shopping done that Friday and not driving anywhere on Saturday or Sunday.

Just got home from a week at Nags Head--didn't realize that the entire collective populations of the states of Ohio and Pennsylvania would also decide to head out there at the same time. I hardly saw a North Carolina license plate on a car the whole week.

worst part of the outer banks has always been all the stupid yankees

worst part of the outer banks has always been all the stupid yankees

The actual beaches on the OBX also leave something to be desired. Mother Nature has taken her toll on the shoreline and the shelf drops off considerably. Plus, the water is always cold compared to the Brunswick County beaches (again b/c of the depth I suppose). Still, we go to the OBX about four times a year (free place to say, woot, woot!), and there are a lot of cool parts that don't hit you right away. Roanoke Island is a jewel and not overrun with carpet baggers. The (retail) seafood is pretty good and I enjoy kayaking in the sound. Off season is the time to hit the Brewing Station.. Corruption was very, very good to the infrastructure there, so if you give the Yankees time to self-deport, it's a really nice place to go in the Fall.

The OBX has some really neat things to see -- Jockey's Ridge, the Wright Bros Memorial, multiple lighthouses, the Lost Colony, etc -- and everyone should visit once, but for a North Carolinian, unless you own a place there, it's probably not the preferred beach area.

Cold water, rough surf, further drive (though way better than it used to be), insane summer traffic on Hwy 12, and loads of Yankees. There's a reason most natives go to the Crystal Coast, the Topsail beaches, Wrightsville or the Brunswick beaches.

My wife's family has generally gone to the Outer Banks because her Dad and brothers prefer the fishing out there. The surf is generally rougher, but just up the beach from where we were staying there was a flat section at low tide that was similar to one of the Brunswick beaches--the younger kids could play in it without getting pulverized.

Back