• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If you're headed to the Outer Banks this summer

My wife's family has generally gone to the Outer Banks because her Dad and brothers prefer the fishing out there. The surf is generally rougher, but just up the beach from where we were staying there was a flat section at low tide that was similar to one of the Brunswick beaches--the younger kids could play in it without getting pulverized.

the fishing kicks ass in September/October

So I'm headed to Duck for Labor Day week. Rented a house with a bunch of friends. I haven't been since I was a little kid, what should I look to do? I will get bored after a coupla days just on the beach. I am taking my bike. I don't mind driving up or down an hour or so. Is it worth taking a truck so I can drive on the beach? Restaurants/bars?

Thanks.

So I'm headed to Duck for Labor Day week. Rented a house with a bunch of friends. I haven't been since I was a little kid, what should I look to do? I will get bored after a coupla days just on the beach. I am taking my bike. I don't mind driving up or down an hour or so. Is it worth taking a truck so I can drive on the beach? Restaurants/bars?

Thanks.

You're going to be bored.

I like going to Corolla because you can drive out on the beach. It's nice to pack up the Jeep with a day's worth of stuff and drive out and enjoy the beach. When you're done you just close up the Jeep and drive home. Last time I was there was last year about this time and we didn't have anywhere to be on Sunday so we didn't leave until late. We went out on the beach Sunday morning and I don't think we saw anybody out there with us until about 1 p.m. on Sunday. It was glorious.

so many tramp stamps at the outer banks this summer. i can stay in maryland to see those

Thanks.
Day trip to Ocracoke would be worth it. Drive to Corolla and then out on the beach is novel, but at the end of the day, just secluded beach. Fact is, most people choose OBX to just sit on the beach for a week. :noidea:

Thanks.

Hwy 12+Duck+Labor Day Weekend = stuck in traffic.

I always have road rage. Its been inherent since I lived in DC and NY. However, I do plan on getting out there early Sat morning. And yeah, I'll be parked in Duck Sat-Mon. I was thinking about exploring other things Tues-Fri. There is always drinking and football. I've also read that the Great Dismal Swamp has some nice bike trails although it would be close to 1.5 hr to get there.

Back