• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Illinois Post Game Thoughts

Wrangor

Go Deacs
Reaction score
This was my first game to watch from start to finish. I missed a few plays as I finished up homework with my 7 year old, but caught almost the whole game.

1. We turn the ball over way too much. Crawford and Woods looked especially shaky with the ball at times considering they are both juniors with a ton of game experience. I know Crawford led us in scoring, but he needs to play better for us to be a good ball team. Also Crawford is really a BAD defender. Often times the player he defends doesn't even have to make much more than a hesitation move to get past him. Its really bad, and inexcusable for a player of his athletic ability.

2. Woods looked lost. I saw part of our last game (watched on my phone), and he played great. Last night he just looked lost most of the time, and did not play confident basketball. You could tell when he hit that last three that it was a huge sigh of relief. Hopefully he gets his game going. I think 6th man is the perfect role for him.

3. Chill started off slow, but was a huge part of our victory. He scored when we needed him to score, and he is our only guard that can really defend on the ball. He pressures without fouling. He is going to play a key role on our team if we are going to have any success.

4. Four Guard lineup is still awful defensively, and relies upon the three too much on offense. We need to have at least someone of Chaundee's size in at the 4. Playing Woods at the 4 on defense just doesn't work, even in a zone. We are too vulnerable on the boards.

5. Moore really played well. He is such a better defender when he can stay in the post and distract and alter shots. When we play man to man, the first thing the other team does is bring him out on a pick and roll, and that is just deadly for our defense. It removes our only good rebounder, and puts our slowest player in the position of having to hedge on a guard 25 feet from the basket.

6. We need more zone. I have been beating this drum for a while, but I would continue to use more zone. 2-3, 3-2, 1-3-1....I would even introduce a half court 1-2-1-1 and let it collapse into a 2-3 once the offense gets the ball into position. I would also like to see us trap in the corners occasionally just to make the other team think. If we had stuck with m2m last night we would have lost by double digits. The key to this team is keeping Moore in the ball game in an effective defensive position. Woods, Wilbekin, and Crawford just don't defend on ball very well, and Moore is too slow to guard the pick and roll. This is a zone team. Manning has to adjust and continue down the path we started last night.

7. Sarr played VERY well in his limited minutes. I was most impressed by his passing. He made several excellent decisions with the ball. He is going to be a VERY good player. I am not sure if he is pro material, but he moves very well, and already has a good feel for the game. Can't wait to see his learning curve.

8. Defensively we still have to do a better job of cutting off the baseline. Several times last night we played 'good' (decent is probably a better word) defense initially only to allow the dribbler to force his way baseline. We have to force them to turn their back and retreat. We just have to get better at that. When the drive baseline, beat them to the spot and turn them around.

9. Wilbekin actually played really well. He made some big shots, and played within himself. He is a limited player, but I think Manning likes that he knows what MW is going to do.

10. Brown played like a freshman. It wasn't his best game, but not really worried about him. We don't have to worry about him going pro anytime soon, but he is going to be one heck of a player for us. Just needs to keep working on his game.

11. Offensively, Manning needs to figure out some better quick hitters. We need a 2-3 pass set that doesn't require the ball to rotate around in order to get a shot. We need to do a better job of getting Moore the ball in a position to score. He isn't John Collins, but he is really effective inside of 10 feet. We need to establish his presence early and often.

12. The timeout at the end of the half by Manning was dumb. We had already used a timeout, so it wasn't a situation where if we didn't use it we would waste it. Our play coming out of that timeout was a Crawford ISO drive, which ended up with a good shot, but we didn't get 2 for 1 (which we had a chance to do), and we didn't really run a specific set. One of those options should have happened if you are going to burn a real timeout.

13. Glad to get a win. We need every one we can get to continue our recruiting momentum.

PS: Mark-god Smith was 'surprisingly' ineffective. :) He looks like an average guard to me, and doesn't look like the physical beast that many Illini fans were projecting. He isn't bad, but I would rather have Chill, and definitely would rather have a guy like Brown who displays a lot more potential.

Last edited:
Chaundee definitely needs to improve his baseline defense in the zone.

I though Mitchell looked pretty comfortable on the floor. Not very productive, but comfortable.

Loved Sarr's block.

I only got to listen to the game. Based on what RC said going into halftime, it sounds like at least part of the reason they called a timeout was to remind our guys that they had a foul to give. The coaches wanted them to give said foul. We didn't foul, and Illinois hit a 3 instead.

I though Mitchell looked pretty comfortable on the floor. Not very productive, but comfortable.

Loved Sarr's block.

Mitchell played some really good D, especially on a couple fast breaks to save points. Was better than I expected, and looks to have a pretty sweet stroke.

Loved Sarr's block.

Agree 100% about Mitchell.

Re: Sarr's block - did you see the defense that Crawford played prior to the block? It was LAUGHABLE.

What is the point of playing Thompson for a few minutes at the beginning of every half and then never again after that? I actually think the number of minutes he plays is about right (and will hopefully decrease as Mitchell and Sarr get more comfortable), but it seems so arbitrary.

Good stuff.

Doral just broke the WF record for most consecutive made FGs (16 in a row), and the offense only gets him 7 shots in 32 minutes? Realize that a part of that is on Moore, but there were a number of possessions where Crawford, Wilbekin, Chaundee or Chill had a lane to get him the ball on the low block and did not. BTW, anyone claiming that a player is "uncoordinated" who made 16 consecutive field goal attempts on the D-1 level is a fool. If Moore gets the ball just below the elbow, he is making the shot; outside of JC, he has the most consistent inside the lane shot of any WF big man since Tim Duncan.

Among other reasons, the zone helps WF because it allows Moore to rest a little on defense. Manning attributed Moore's expanded minutes (32) to the zone. Having a 7-1 guy that is a defense presence, and that can score on the blocks is one of WF's few advantages. Got to exploit that by keeping him down low in the zone.

Woods is visibly frustrated right now; hope he works through it, and attitude does not become an issue because "winning as a cure all" isn't going to work this year.

I'm a big Crawford fan, and feel like he can be as good as he wants to be, but Crawford is regularly getting out-worked by less talented players, particularly on defense as opposing guards like Tookie Brown (GA Southern), Lovell Cabill (Liberty), Reed Timmer (Drake), Rob Gray (Houston) and Francis Alonso (UNCG) have lit him and WF up to start the season. Crawford has the size, quickness and strength to be beast on defense. Really want to see it.

I was impressed with Donovan Mitchell. He plays like a frosh but that is hopefully because he got so little PT last year. He may be a good 7th or 8th man junior/senior years. I liked his dribble drive and his defense was good. I liked that he hustled back on a fast break and turned a really bad turnover (his) at midcourt into a difficult layup that was missed and we got the board. You can build on those moments.

Agree with a lot of this.

The most infuriating thing about Crawford is that he is a hell of a defender when he wants to be (see the play he made with just under a minute left to tip the ball into the backcourt).

Sarr is going to be very good.

At the 4:26 mark Wake was a up 70-61 after a pair of Woods free throws. We went four guards (literally 4 guards, not Brown) and Moore inside with the zone. Illinois scored 12 points on 5 straight possessions to make it 76-73. We then subbed Sarr in for the final two defensive possessions and Illinois didn't score again. Obviously a small sample size, but still frustrating. The final two threes that we hit were good plays off good ball rotations to Key and Mitch, so kudos there. I fail to see how Brown or Mitchell or Melo is not a better option late in the game when you are trying to get some stops though. Also, if you are going to sub Sarr in then why pull Chill? Not only does it not make sense, Woods and Bryant were playing the bottom corners of the zone, so that moved Woods out to the top, while Sarr took the bottom. Chill was the catalyst of the zone up top with his activity and quick feet.

Really impressed with Doral. He played much more than I thought he would, and didnt look winded like he did the first few games of the season. Donovan hustled. Sarr had that sick block. Loved that Chill turned it on late game, and loved seeing Wilbekin get it going too. Really hope this gives the guys some confidence going into the Richmond game on Saturday

I loved the grit we showed in the final four minutes to pull out the win! I think we finally showed how embarrassed we have been over these losses to the meek & mild of lower D1 basketball and finally wanted to play 40 minutes of basketball. We are starting to get the basketball inside to Moore and let him dictate some offense. Still far too much dribble, dribble, dribble instead of sharp passes like the Spurs or Warriors do, but hopefully that will come!

I was impressed with Donovan Mitchell. He plays like a frosh but that is hopefully because he got so little PT last year. He may be a good 7th or 8th man junior/senior years. I liked his dribble drive and his defense was good. I liked that he hustled back on a fast break and turned a really bad turnover (his) at midcourt into a difficult layup that was missed and we got the board. You can build on those moments.

Mitchell is already better than I ever thought he'd be.

I would really like to see Donovan try to assert himself a little bit more on offense occasionally. He has an absolutely beautiful shot. I wish he, Melo, and Sarr would get more minutes. Melo played some damn good defense for the stretch he was in at the end of the first half. Think he could offer a lot. Also would like to see us continue to use the 3-2 D, rotations were awesome for the most part. I commend Danny and the team for teaching/learning a disciplined zone.

What is the point of playing Thompson for a few minutes at the beginning of every half and then never again after that? I actually think the number of minutes he plays is about right (and will hopefully decrease as Mitchell and Sarr get more comfortable), but it seems so arbitrary.

Hopefully, Manning will transition to starting Mitchell or Sarr at the 4 and letting Thompson come off the bench to provide 10 minutes or so. We need to stick to zone for all the reasons mentioned above. We need to tweak the offensive sets to allow easier entry passes into Moore and Sarr. We need to maximize our height advantage. I love Crawford's grit and ability to drive and finish, but have been really disappointed by his o the ball and closing defense. All that being said, this is the best coaching I have seen by Manning. Not without areas for improvement, but he realized that man to man wasn't working, better substitution patterns, playing Moore and Sarr for more minutes, and, actually, let players stay in the game after committing a foul.

Moore is averaging slightly over 5 shots a game. His FG% is 84%. Get the ball to him with his defender on his back and it will be two points.

"11. Offensively, Manning needs to figure out some better quick hitters. We need a 2-3 pass set that doesn't require the ball to rotate around in order to get a shot."

Maybe this is the problem, they are drilled to make multiple passes, when they can his Moore in the middle on the 2nd or 3rd. It seems our guards do not look for Moore early and we wait until the defense is in a position to guard him before we think about passing him the ball. Moore should probably be getting 5 dunks a game, especially against the teams we've been playing.

Playing a zone often makes the outside players look bad. It's their job to play their guy to the bigs and go back to their original position. Thus, it looks much worse than it is.

We could use a couple tweaks on the zone with Sarr and Doral playing together:

Have the big on the side of the guy driving move up in the lane to keep the driver from getting too deep and the other play the back line.

In playing a 3-2, have the middle guy go to cut off top of the key passes rather than double and move weak side big out past the lane line to cut off cross court passes.

When playing a zone, we should have three bigs not two in the game and never play four smalls in a zone. Rebounding out of a zone is much harder as you have no natural person to block out. If we have two 6'2/6'3 guys playing on the baseline with Sarr or Doral, we will get brutalized on the defensive boards.

The reason Cuse's zone works is they have a ton of long players playing it. I think our ideal zone five would be - Sarr, Doral, Donovan, Chaundee and Bryant. Chaundee and Bryant will be decent three point shooters on offense and are good guys to fill lanes on fast breaks.

If we have to, maybe we could play Key over Donovan or Chaundee to get a little more scoring.

Really good analysis on this thread.

The coaches should get some credit for a game plan that was effective on both ends of the court. The zone is the best solution for our defensive woes; but the players must close faster on the ball and keep their hands up to obscure the passing lanes. Still the zone allows for us to cover some of the weaknesses which are exposed by the man-to-man.

When we began using the skip or over-the-top pass in the 2nd half we got some open looks from 3 and knocked down some big ones.

This was the best game of the season for a number of players: Moore (stayed on the floor and was a major factor on offense and defense); Brandon played under control but without fear and is our best on ball defender because of his tenacity, IMO; Welbekin hit some big shots; Crawford demonstrated what a force he can be on offense and he is potentially our best defender WHEN HE DECIDES TO LOCK DOWN, which is too seldom. Woods does look lost at times and Brown is still adapting to the college game. I am encouraged by Sarr and Mitchell and hope they get increased minutes soon.

I particularly liked how we stood up to Illinois pressure and physicality. We kept our pose for the most part and carried out the plan. Overall it was an encouraging game...at least in comparison to every other game thus far.

Mitchell played some really good D, especially on a couple fast breaks to save points. Was better than I expected, and looks to have a pretty sweet stroke.

Mitchell's mid-range J was pretty damn critical. It was only 2 points, but I recall it was at a point in time when Illinois had made a run to cut the lead and Wake was in a drought and looking disorganized on offense. Mitchell stepped up and hit a big shot.

People forget that Donovan was All-State in volleyball in by far the best state in the nation for volleyball. To be that, he has to be somewhere between an elite athlete to a freak. I'd be stunned if he can't run the court and fly in for super dunks. I hope he gets more PT.

I have been very pleasantly surprised by his stroke.

Agree with a lot of this.

The most infuriating thing about Crawford is that he is a hell of a defender when he wants to be (see the play he made with just under a minute left to tip the ball into the backcourt).

Sarr is going to be very good.

At the 4:26 mark Wake was a up 70-61 after a pair of Woods free throws. We went four guards (literally 4 guards, not Brown) and Moore inside with the zone. Illinois scored 12 points on 5 straight possessions to make it 76-73. We then subbed Sarr in for the final two defensive possessions and Illinois didn't score again. Obviously a small sample size, but still frustrating. The final two threes that we hit were good plays off good ball rotations to Key and Mitch, so kudos there. I fail to see how Brown or Mitchell or Melo is not a better option late in the game when you are trying to get some stops though. Also, if you are going to sub Sarr in then why pull Chill? Not only does it not make sense, Woods and Bryant were playing the bottom corners of the zone, so that moved Woods out to the top, while Sarr took the bottom. Chill was the catalyst of the zone up top with his activity and quick feet.

Spot on about the 4 guard lineup.

Overall very pleased as I could not stomach the thought of losing to Illinois. Hopefully Wake has found an identity.

Feeling slightly hopeful about the next game instead of that bit of nausea as of late. Hopefully we build on this.

Back