• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

ilovewfu

Reaction score
One of my missions over my last Christmas break ever has been to expand my music horizons. I love music, but for some reason haven't explored nearly enough. So far, it's been great. I've become obsessed with The Avett Brothers among others.

But I just listened to Aeroplane Over the Sea (the song) for the first time and it just blew my mind. I can't remember the last time I felt like this upon hearing a new song. Just thought I'd share.

Oh, and I know earnestness is often mocked on these boards, so let the teasing commence. I don't mind.

for a sec, I thought airlines had introduced satellite based WIFI

I felt the same way when I was introduced to this song by cookoutdeac/df2009

I love the whole album, it's one of my favorites. Got it purely on the suggestions of others from the boards.

My favorite album of all time, and a previous avatar (before my new, alt-er one).

To be earnest along with the OP, I can listen to this album endlessly. It is lyrically unmatched. For all the simplicity of the instrumentation, there is also a ton of complexity. There are odd choices like flugelhorn, odd, but somehow perfect. Oh Comely is an absolute megalith of a song. See if you can pick up on the running Anne Frank narrative throughout the album. I always loved this bit of criticism (from P4k):
For forty staggering minutes, Jeff Mangum short-circuits all conventional modes of expression, forging a private language that is endlessly intriguing and haunting in the truest sense of the word. Mangum sings as if possessed, painfully conveying fractured and moving tales with the imagistic skill of a brilliant novelist. He gnashes his teeth at the fabric of time, then wraps himself in it like a blanket, channeling the violence of his personal past through a claustrophobic frustration with his dejected present.

The verse

I know they buried her body with others
Her sister and mother and 500 families
And will she remember me 50 years later?
I wish I could save her in some sort of time machine

Just absolutely slays me. Typing it out gave me chills.

I know I'm late to this party but love this stuff by the Avett.

not bad but it sounds a lot like pre-Beatles, early 60s folk music.

I love that album. Holland, 1945 kicks my ass everytime. You can't help but jump up and down and scream the lyrics as loud as possible

The more I hear current "indie" music. The more I think about looking for my Nehru jacket, granny sunglasses and striped bell bottoms.

Holland 1945 is great with the Mexican horns going on in the background. Very unique in that respect because the horns somehow find a way to work perfectly. And then the fade in to Communist Daughter is frigging awesome too.

lol at whoever just thundergunned my rep. Neutral Milk are worth an elephant walk

my buddy Geen got into playing and writing too soon....he'd make a killing today...maybe not his stuff is more upbeat.

Most of these people seem to be lucky bar bands/performers.

not bad but it sounds a lot like pre-Beatles, early 60s folk music.

apart from the whole acoustic vibe, that album doesn't share a lot of similarities to the era you referenced. It's a very unique album in a lot of ways.

I also got the album off iTunes based on this board (or perhaps it was the other board, but the posters came over to this one), and it was well worth my time. It definitely is not usually one that blows your mind on first listen, but it grows on you.

Well, you are the board's undisputed champ regarding things growing on you...

I should defer to your obvious expertise.

Holland 1945 is great with the Mexican horns going on in the background. Very unique in that respect because the horns somehow find a way to work perfectly. And then the fade in to Communist Daughter is frigging awesome too.

SEMEN STAINS THE MOUNTAINTOPS

Back