• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

income inequality debate

I'm starting to think knowell is a slick parody of jhmd that intentionally messes up basic information.

Or picks the wrong side of every argument (possibly intentionally? possibly just stupid?) and defends it vehemently

Or picks the wrong side of every argument (possibly intentionally? possibly just stupid?) and defends it vehemently

Yeah. Still, I'm curious how a parody can say someone getting paid what people are willing to pay for her services isn't free market.

Yeah. Still, I'm curious how a parody can say someone getting paid what people are willing to pay for her services isn't free market.
We probably need numbers to provide some more explanation of market dynamics

Watching libs try to understand a free market is quite entertaining. Carry on.

It can't be a free market if Hillary Clinton is involved, because Benghazi and she is a Democrat. If you're not convinced, here is a Zaxby's commercial with Willie Robertson from Duck Dynasty, also a bald eagle because 'Murica

Don't tread on me?

I understand what knowell is saying. Essentially these people paying for future political influence which clouds the market. Buncha rent seekers.

Is the market using your SOS influence to help out foreign benefactors of the Clinton Foundation?

That's fucking treason. I hope she croaks tomorrow.

I understand what knowell is saying. Essentially these people paying for future political influence which clouds the market. Buncha rent seekers.

Yeah I think it's clear what his the point he is trying to make/take is and it's a point that I would generally wholeheartedly agree with as someone who isn't very much in favor of capitalism, but given his normal chorus of "let the market decide" it's just wildly hypocritical.

There is no hypocrisy. Paying for political influence is a corruption of the free market. It is of course prevalent, but we do not have a purely free market. We have a mixture of market forces, government controls and political influences. The paying of politicians for their influence is not the free market part.

There is no hypocrisy. Paying for political influence is a corruption of the free market. It is of course prevalent, but we do not have a purely free market. We have a mixture of market forces, government controls and political influences. The paying of politicians for their influence is not the free market part.

0a5bcbcff9670eb6fbaee27617e44c8f.jpg

Buying political influence is the definition of a free market

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

0a5bcbcff9670eb6fbaee27617e44c8f.jpg

Buying political influence is the definition of a free market

At least I understand why some of you guys oppose the free market. A true free market would not be intertwined with politics at all. The government would only be involved in as much as is necessary to prevent fraud or theft. I can hardly blame your confusion as government has never been too good about allowing a market to be free of its influence.

At least I understand why some of you guys oppose the free market. A true free market would not be intertwined with politics at all. The government would only be involved in as much as is necessary to prevent fraud or theft. I can hardly blame your confusion as government has never been too good about allowing a market to be free of its influence.

Private citizen Hillary Clinton was paid $275K for a speech.

Do you believe the Citizens United decision is anti-free market?

The best investment you can make is a campaign donation. That has been true for thousands of years.

The best investment you can make is a campaign donation. That has been true for thousands of years.

I will agree with that.

the definition of a free market per one of our fine on line dictionaries is:
"an economic system in which prices and wages are determined by unrestricted competition between businesses, without government regulation or fear of monopolies".

Obviously that donation has value because government is intricately involved in our market. In our current mixed market, paying off politicians has great value. It is not, however, because of free market forces.

I know it sounds like quibbling but without acknowledging the difference, free market forces get the blame for government meddling in the market.

So how is a private citizen getting paid for a speech not a free market? Government doesn't regulate the transaction and the Clintons don't monopolize the speaker circuit.

Back