• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

income inequality debate

damn the debt is 22 trillion

we could have fixed the debt

Sooo…working isn’t really the solution to poverty.

Unless working earns a living wage.

Yes we should do more austerity politics, a proven way to reduce income inequality

Someone email the poors the three jh/brookings institute email forward talking points

Yes we should do more austerity politics, a proven way to reduce income inequality

Someone email the poors the three jh/brookings institute email forward talking points that Townie, PhDeac, Shoo, Kory, Connor have all implemented in their own lives because they know that they actually work

Let me know what is inaccurate.

I know from personal experience with close friends and family members the limitations of that strategy. I know there is no single ladder to building generational wealth, and that America criminalizes poverty and devalues basic human dignity. I know neither party has a monopoly on cruelty or disdain for the working poor, and I know most of all that if you searched your soul you’d find that your comfortable and privileged trolling hides a fear that maybe it isn’t as simple as you pretend it to be.

I know from personal experience with close friends and family members the limitations of that strategy. I know there is no single ladder to building generational wealth, and that America criminalizes poverty and devalues basic human dignity. I know neither party has a monopoly on cruelty or disdain for the working poor, and I know most of all that if you searched your soul you’d find that your comfortable and privileged trolling hides a fear that maybe it isn’t as simple as you pretend it to be.

Sounds awesome. What choices did you make? Why?

I chose to be white, to have generational wealth and to not be born in the global south.

Someone email the poors the three jh/brookings institute email forward talking points

give me brookings over the freaking heritage foundation

Sounds awesome. What choices did you make? Why?

It is good to confirm you’re unwilling to engage seriously about substantive matters and not worth responding to! I won’t waste my time. Old jh wouldn’t victory lap without engaging, but I guess if my party got Trumped I might be this way too.

It is good to confirm you’re unwilling to engage seriously about substantive matters and not worth responding to! I won’t waste my time. Old jh wouldn’t victory lap without engaging, but I guess if my party got Trumped I might be this way too.

Let me help you here: you chose the path that actually works. Because it actually works.

I don’t need your help. Like MHB, and my guess you, I was born into generational wealth and whiteness and a male and a legacy/son of faculty at Wake and every leg up imaginable and I haven’t tried particularly hard in life and regularly fucked up and made bad decisions and still ended up on top bc I was set up only to ever succeed and have a safety net if I failed. Like 90% of the posters here I’d wager.

I don’t need your help. Like MHB, and my guess you, I was born into generational wealth and whiteness and a male and a legacy/son of faculty at Wake and every leg up imaginable and I haven’t tried particularly hard in life and regularly fucked up and made bad decisions and still ended up on top bc I was set up only to ever succeed and have a safety net if I failed. Like 90% of the posters here I’d wager.

One of the great things about the demonstrably effective path you---and "90% of the posters here"---chose, is that it actually works, even after absorbing the predictable missteps of human fallibility. Nobody's perfect. We all get that. But actively subsidizing self-destructive, unsustainable choices as a matter of policy doesn't work. But you already knew that. I can tell by your choices.

We didn’t choose the path we were born into. That’s the fallacy you willingly ignore. To do the Big Three are both unnecessary and insufficient to succeed. I know people who work far harder and make far better choices than me born into worse circumstances who struggle to live. Have a good evening.

We didn’t choose the path we were born into. That’s the fallacy you willingly ignore. To do the Big Three are both unnecessary and insufficient to succeed. I know people who work far harder and make far better choices than me born into worse circumstances who struggle to live. Have a good evening.

These anecdotes are interesting. Thank you for sharing. What do the statistics tell us?

Sorry juice! I said multiple posts ago he wasn’t worth engaging with and then couldn’t help myself. As I’m reflecting, I don’t make the best choices.

I’m genuinely curious, how are you defining “generational wealth”?

Back