• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Indiana, the RFRA, and the backlash

Yes, we are. What do you think would happen if the market were left to deal with that place? I know you progs are not fans of the market, but please respond.

What happened when those signs were put up in stores in 1950? Did the market fix that, Barton?

Yes, we are. What do you think would happen if the market were left to deal with that place? I know you progs are not fans of the market, but please respond.

The store would close temporarily and then raise a ton of money on indiegogo

We don't need to guess. We have the whole first half of the 20th century to tell us.

Al Sharpton would show up representing part of the market. Conservatives would freak out because they hate Al Sharpton. The far right and their money would support them.

Al Sharpton would show up representing part of the market. Conservatives would freak out because they hate Al Sharpton. The far right and their money would support them.

No, they wouldn't. Hanging that sign may be within a business owner's rights by the letter of the law, but there is no one that would support someone with such blatant, backwards racial viewpoints. I know you hate the right, but you know even they wouldn't be okay with that. It's 2015, not 1950. The market and society are in a different place 65 years later. Let's not pretend people would react the same way that they did during segregation.

So you think they'd be on the same side as Al Sharpton?

No, they wouldn't. Hanging that sign may be within a business owner's rights by the letter of the law, but there is no one that would support someone with such blatant, backwards racial viewpoints. I know you hate the right, but you know even they wouldn't be okay with that. It's 2015, not 1950. The market and society are in a different place 65 years later. Let's not pretend people would react the same way that they did during segregation.

And why is the market and society in a different place? I'd argue a huge part of that is due to us making people take down signs like those. Desegregation didn't just happen by accident.

We're talking about the right wing, not extremists. Let's have intelligent discourse and avoid sensational comparisons.

I was talking about the far right wing as well.

And the free market didn't kick that fraternity off campus. A public university did. Some of the market would have still paid dues and gone to their parties if not for a government run entity acting on behalf of the rest of the people.

Last edited:
Hasn't that pizza parlor raised $700K at this point by just refusing to serve gay people. Negroes are much scarier than gay people.

Hasn't that pizza parlor raised $700K at this point by just refusing to serve gay people. Negroes are much scarier than gay people.

They didn't have to refuse anybody. They just said they wouldn't cater a gay wedding that nobody asked them to cater.

And why is the market and society in a different place? I'd argue a huge part of that is due to us making people take down signs like those. Desegregation didn't just happen by accident.

I certainly can't disagree with that. And the great thing about America is that we have the right to tell people to go fuck themselves and not darken the door of their home/business if they have such backwards and hateful views. Let em hang whatever ignorant sign they want. I doubt the skinheads and their sister-daughters are going to keep them in business very long.

I was talking about the far right wing as well.

And the free market didn't kick that fraternity off campus. A public university did. Some of the market would have still paid dues and gone to their parties if not for a government run entity acting on behalf of the rest of the people.

There is a clear difference between the political right wing and extremism. I think I'm interpreting correctly that you are making that differentiation. Just making sure.

The free market can't kick a fraternity off campus. We don't have that power. We don't fund them or control them. They are a private entity. Their governing bodies (the national HQ and the university) acted swiftly by throwing them off campus.

So there are limits to the free market.

Back