• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inflation

Grabs Turds Bare

Reaction score
Anyone else feeling really weird about prices lately?

I know we talk about it in the college threads and all sorts of other contexts, but it really hit me on Saturday.

Back in 2008, when I was building a lot, I could buy a single bale of straw for about $2.50 retail in a pinch. I was pissed at the time, because back in the early 2000s, I could have got it for a dollar a bale.

I retired from building (lol, 2008 wrecked me). But I built my current home in 2012, and then if I needed quick straw, it was up to about $3.50 a bale. Woah, right?

Well, on Saturday, I just paid motherfuckin' $6.50 for a chunk of dead grass. Six fifty a bale. Like, what the actual fuck? I realize that retail cost isn't ideal, but as someone who is getting ready to build a new home, I'm looking at material prices and thinking, "how the actual fuck do people build homes and make money these days?"

Anyone else have every-day items jumping up?

How about 25 cent wings? Wings are near $1 nowadays.

Regular gas is around 2.75 or more in a lot of places.

Shits and giggles went and checked out some open houses the other weekend. Not really inflation but pretty astonishing nonetheless.

4/3, 2050 sq ft, 3 million
5/4.5, 3300 sq ft - 5.5 million
4/3.5, 4000 sq ft - 5.8 million
5/3.5, 4400 sq ft - 10 million

The 5.5 million one was really the only one that was nice. 3 million was an apartment and the other two were just location and size.

Holy. You’re in SF, right? You could buy a whole neighborhood of 5/4s in New Tampa for the price of one there.

Holy. You’re in SF, right? You could buy a whole neighborhood of 5/4s in New Tampa for the price of one there.
Yep. We actually bought a place in St. Pete earlier this year with a timeline to move back in 2020 (w/ a renter locked in until then).

People are legit making $300k+ and can't afford to buy a house for a family.

Where in St. Pete? I love it there. Would have been nice to live downtown back when I was single.

Halloween fun size candy used to be a lot bigger. But I bet it's not any cheaper.

It seems like Girl Scouts removes a cookie or two from the box while making them more expensive every year.

To answer the OP, home builders make homes like shit these days built fast with cheapo components so that's how they make money.

And get in my entire life of buying video games, starting with SNES, $60 is the standard new game price.

And get in my entire life of buying video games, starting with SNES, $60 is the standard new game price.

I can remember paying $60 for Mortal Kombat on the Sega Genesis from Babbages back in the day.

25 cent? In Boone in '93 the Caribbean Cafe had 15 cent wing night. And killer jerk sauce.

Charlie’s on Fifth St in Durham had 10 cent wings for MNF back in the day. And a good jerk sauce.

$59.99 has been standard going back to the first NES games. It’s nuts that dramatically different games cost the same price.

Me and my 5 year old played Breath of the Wild regularly and have each logged over 150 hours. We bought Kirby when it came out and my boys invited friends over and beat it in less than 24 hours. My boys told my wife and she said “Wow. I guess Breath of the Wild is a really good deal.”

Last edited:
I remember when the cost of goods for urban consumers had an index of 130.7 back in 1990. Now it's 249.6. Crazy!

On the contrary, there are practically limitless entertainment options (games, movies, tv shows, music) for free or very cheap. You just need internet and a device, which most would consider necessary expenses.

Yeah. I don’t remember how much TVs cost way back when but TVs are pretty cheap now.

Back