• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inside the pampered world of DC’s VIP diners

Luddite opinion. I love it when people sneer and think all steaks are best rare. A ribeye is significantly different than a filet.

"For maximum flavor and juiciness, cook or eat most steak at medium doneness or less.

Rib Eye. This super flavorful and super juicy cut of prime rib is tender when it’s cooked to no more than medium doneness. Rib eye is best when it’s cooked medium-rare; that’s about 6-8 minutes for a 1-inch-thick steak."

Ribeye you don't want towards the rare side of medium rare, like you would a filet or strip, but medium well is just cooked too much for any steak, IMO. Get out the A-1 at that point.

"For maximum flavor and juiciness, cook or eat most steak at medium doneness or less.

Rib Eye. This super flavorful and super juicy cut of prime rib is tender when it’s cooked to no more than medium doneness. Rib eye is best when it’s cooked medium-rare; that’s about 6-8 minutes for a 1-inch-thick steak."

I'm not sure what you're quoting but it doesn't matter. I've tasted and made plenty of steaks before, including grass-fed versus corn-fed.

I'm not sure what you're quoting but it doesn't matter. I've tasted and made plenty of steaks before, including grass-fed versus corn-fed.

Made steaks?? Is there something we should know? :)

Ribeye you don't want towards the rare side of medium rare, like you would a filet or strip, but medium well is just cooked too much for any steak, IMO. Get out the A-1 at that point.

Okay, I can accept your friendly amendment on ribeyes and strips - ribeyes on the med side of med rare and strips on the slightly rare side of med rare. But have you had flat iron steaks? You gotta cook those med well - and they're still juicy. Just a different kind of cut.

There is no decent steak that is "best" cooked over medium. If the fat in your steak is such sinewy leather that it takes that much heat to make it edible you're simply eating a garbage steak. You'd be better off slow-cooking it like a short rib if that was the case.

The best steak I've ever had was a ribeye cap cooked rare plus. The marbling was fine enough that most of it melted during a quick sear, and whatever didn't quite melt was still tender and insanely good. Granted that cut is slightly easier to cook than a traditional ribeye, but rare and medium rare ribeyes have a lock on the next 5 or so best steaks I've tasted as well.

Fat in steak doesn’t even begin to melt, spreading its flavor into the meat, until 135 or 140 degrees. At that point you’ve just entered medium rare land. The process needs to continue until at least medium or so.

On a filet, which has relatively little fat content, medium rare is good. Ribeye is a different story.

Fat in steak doesn’t even begin to melt, spreading its flavor into the meat, until 135 or 140 degrees. At that point you’ve just entered medium rare land. The process needs to continue until at least medium or so.

On a filet, which has relatively little fat content, medium rare is good. Ribeye is a different story.
Well your opinion isn't shared by any of the finest steak houses in the country

That's completely wrong. Beef with even decent marbled intramuscular fat melts between 125 and 130. By 145 degrees you've doubled moisture loss compared to a nice medium rare. 150, which is on the south side of medium well generally, is pretty much the death temp of a good steak as actin denatures.

This line of thinking is straight from an Outback waiter.

Steak is awful. Go vegetarian, just don't over cook your tofu.

That's completely wrong. Beef with even decent marbled intramuscular fat melts between 125 and 130. By 145 degrees you've doubled moisture loss compared to a nice medium rare. 150, which is on the south side of medium well generally, is pretty much the death temp of a good steak as actin denatures.

This line of thinking is straight from an Outback waiter.

Wrong.

130-140°F (54-60°C). Fats begin to liquefy, a process called rendering.
https://amazingribs.com/technique-and-science/cooking-science/basic-meat-science

Steak is awful. Go vegetarian, just don't over cook your tofu.

Ron Swanson would disagree with you. Red meat is bad for you, and I do try to limit my red meat intake and have any kind of meat at most in 1 meal per day. I do have a few of the Moosewood cookbooks, which I recommend, and make a lot of vegetarian dinners - though I use homemade chicken stock instead of vegetable stock for the soups because it tastes better. Don't much care for tofu unless it's in a good hot and sour soup or ma po tofu.

Back