• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interactive Map of "Racist, Homophobic, and Ableist" Tweets in America

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
http://io9.com/an-interactive-map-of-racist-homophobic-and-ableist-tw-499908637

This is The Geography of Hate – a cartographical collection of every geotagged tweet in the continental U.S. between June 2012 and April 2013 in which the word "chink," "gook," "nigger," "wetback," "spic," "dyke" "fag," "homo," "queer" or "cripple" was used in an explicitly negative way.

ku-xlarge.png

Full map by racial slur:
http://users.humboldt.edu/mstephens/hate/hate_map.html#

I definitely expected Florida and Texas to be more racist than that. Though I guess the racists there are old and don't know how to use Twitter.

There's a hefty group on the "Dan Snyder" thread who would find nothing wrong with any of those terms. Ah, much ado/nothing.

LOL @ the lower left of the map: "Tweets negatively referring to 'nigger.'" As opposed to the positive connotation.

What is your conclusion based on the map?

That this could be the start of some very interesting research using social media and GIS mapping.

According to this map, Tyrrell and Jones counties had the most tweets including the word "nigger".

That's ironic because a guy named Tyrrell Jones would most certainly be black.

That this could be the start of some very interesting research using social media and GIS mapping.

According to this map, Tyrrell and Jones counties had the most tweets including the word "nigger".

That's ironic because a guy named Tyrrell Jones would most certainly be black.

I assume based on the rules for the map that it precludes black people calling eachother that.

Wonder what happens to the map when you control for population density.

There's a hefty group on the "Dan Snyder" thread who would find nothing wrong with any of those terms. Ah, much ado/nothing.

LOL @ the lower left of the map: "Tweets negatively referring to 'nigger.'" As opposed to the positive connotation.

Perhaps they're just big fans of Huck Finn.

I assume based on the rules for the map that it precludes black people calling eachother that.

Not if it is negative as coded by the research team.

where's cold ass honky? or gringo? or cracka?

how about racist stuff against MY PEOPLE doe, like "dancing zorba" or "greaseball"

Heh. Yea, I would like to know more about their methodologies to distinguish between the two.

Heh. Yea, I would like to know more about their methodologies to distinguish between the two.

People read the tweets and used context to determine if they were positive or negative connotation.

It's not that hard.

just looked up greek racial slurs and i think i'd pee my pants if someone called me an "olive picker"

Is this not tweets per capita? It should be; you'd think places like Arizona would be higher on the list.

Back