• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interesting Article on Greg Marshall

Benedict, I'm curious for your thoughts on 9/11 Truthers.

I love Division III basketball. The kids are playing for the love of the game. However, I will admit to remembering with fondness the night we beat Duke 122-109 in the quanset hut, and the '79 Auburn game. But I also remember serious talk of dropping out of the ACC back in the early 70s when our football team was squaring off weekly (weakly) against Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. I suppose it comes down to deciding what you want to be and then being it.

That decision was already made by the powers that be who joined UNC, State, and Duke to form the ACC and the powers that be who decided to take the money and move out of their shadow to Winston-Salem.

Bkf, you're simply an old man who, like very many other old people, cannot stand change. You, and they, become irrelevant and bitter -- and you are -- and are just waiting for your time on earth to end. Your resistance to change will amount to less in the grand scheme than the scores of the games you disparage.

Yeah, and I'd bet money that WF never paid Carl Tacy more than $60 to $70K per year....and most likely less than that. So throw in an inflation factor of 5...which would be about right...and you would have Tacy making less than $300K to $350K in today's dollars.....and he took us to two Elite Eights. That shows how far out of hand all of this has gone. The money being thrown around today is crazy.

I saw Carl not long ago. He's available. I asked him if he could coach this team. He said he could still coach them but that he wouldn't be interested in doing "all the rest of it." He was a great coach. But what he made is relevant only when you compare it to what Bill Foster or Norm Sloan or Lefty Driesell made. Carl didn't endorse any sneakers, either.

That decision was already made by the powers that be who joined UNC, State, and Duke to form the ACC and the powers that be who decided to take the money and move out of their shadow to Winston-Salem.

I agree. If we want to play in the big leagues, we have to invest in the talent. Look at it this way: 105 football scholarships costs about $7.5 million per year. Fifteen basketball scholarships cost just over $1 million. Looks like we could afford to spend a little more on a basketball coach. Better ROI.

I agree. If we want to play in the big leagues, we have to invest in the talent. Look at it this way: 105 football scholarships costs about $7.5 million per year. Fifteen basketball scholarships cost just over $1 million. Looks like we could afford to spend a little more on a basketball coach. Better ROI.
Plus basketball has shown to be a top 30 program historically. Makes sense to invest more in it (besides facilities)

Part of the problem is that Wellman bought into the Butler/Stephens model of success. Pretty sure that was not 'buy' the best coach you can find. Unless Wellman has completely dumped that view, hard to see him changing that underlying belief.

All that being said, you still need a guy that has the attitude of Clawson. Wake is on par with dooks and Stanfords of the world with a top quality education etc. A guy saying 'I'm auctioning myself off to the highest bidder' probably is not going to fit that mold. Of course, with Marshall's new status in the hoops world, he'd get a lot more looks from recruits than an up and comer that needs to sell the benefits of Wake.

Wonder if Marshall did come here, turns us around after two years, how long before he's off to the NBA for $5M per year?

Wonder if Marshall did come here, turns us around after two years, how long before he's off to the NBA for $5M per year?

Like Stephens did at Marshall aften getting a big raise and extension? Heck, maybe we can turn a big profit on the buyout.

Then that's a good thing. It means he won with us and won big.

Why are so many Wake people afraid of the big-time?

Part of the problem is that Wellman bought into the Butler/Stephens model of success. Pretty sure that was not 'buy' the best coach you can find. Unless Wellman has completely dumped that view, hard to see him changing that underlying belief.

All that being said, you still need a guy that has the attitude of Clawson. Wake is on par with dooks and Stanfords of the world with a top quality education etc. A guy saying 'I'm auctioning myself off to the highest bidder' probably is not going to fit that mold. Of course, with Marshall's new status in the hoops world, he'd get a lot more looks from recruits than an up and comer that needs to sell the benefits of Wake.

This is a fucking joke, right? Duke pays K over $7,000,000 a year. Stanford is paying their football coach $2.5M per year.

I'm sure our football and basketball coaches would like for it to be a true statement that we would pay our coaches like the Dukes and Stanfords of the world.

ETA: Also, Brad Stevens is making $22M over six years in the NBA. Coaches don't come cheap. FWIW, I agree about dropping out of the ACC. If we aren't going to attempt to be competitive we might as well drop out.

Then that's a good thing. It means he won with us and won big.

Why are so many Wake people afraid of the big-time?
LOWF wants a coach who will be here a long time, have a winning record, beat Carolina. Someone to go golf with on Sundays after church. Nothing else required.

That would be fine with me. After all, it's just a damned game. Entertainment. Like playing golf or going to a movie. It's not like it's something that is really important in life. If you play a round of golf today, 20 years from now will it really matter whether you shot 77 or 85? Of course it won't....and it won't really matter whether we beat Duke last week or not, either.

Trollololololol

Don't feed the troll.

And my .02 on Marshall, I say fuck him. He did call us out by name. He didn't have to do that. I think that's a dick move. It pisses me off that he is exactly right, but he didn't have to do that. He will go wherever the biggest pay check is.

Personally I would bring him in, get him to agree to a huge number, and then go offer that exact amount to Smart or whoever else is interested. I'm all for paying big money for a coach, but I don't think it's LOWF of me to not want to hire an asshole who took a dump on WFU publicly to make a point.

I will be pissed if we aim low, though. I thought Clawson was the perfect football hire (I admit I wasn't sold at first, but I 100% love him so far), but this is Wake Forest basketball. We need to pay 3 times what we're paying Claw and we need a home run hire. Just not Marshall.

Just for the sake of conversation, how much does Howland cost us?

LOWF wants a coach who will be here a long time, have a winning record, beat Carolina. Someone to go golf with on Sundays after church. Nothing else required.

Yep. Wake fans want to be loved as much or more than they love to win.

Then again, some people say Bz costs $1.4 million so who knows.

So we can get a proven winner for $2 million to $3 millon per year and a youngster or proven loser for $1 million or so. And if the $1 million coach wins, he gets a doubling in salary and a ten-year contract from Wellman, if history is any guide. Am I correct in assuming our risk is limited to the increased cost of the first two or three years, which can probably be recouped from ticket sales?

Last edited:
Back