• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interesting play by McCrory on voter i.d. litigation

it is an “unnecessary expense” for Gov. Pat McCrory to hire an outside attorney

I know right? This office can't afford to pay outrageous salaries.

Cooper is clearly positioning himself for a 2016 run at the governor's mansion. I don't really blame McCrory for not trusting him to defend the case.

Cooper is clearly positioning himself for a 2016 run at the governor's mansion. I don't really blame McCrory for not trusting him to defend the case.

Seems possible. Agree. Though I'm no fan of the new law and hope it has to be revised.

Support the law. Get an ID like everybody else has to carry and stop all the caterwalling

Support the law. Get an ID like everybody else has to carry and stop all the caterwalling

The_color_line_still_exists%E2%80%94in_this_case_cph.3b29638-e1330007338367.jpg

It's not just the ID part that's being challenged, but don't let the facts and reality get in the way. You never do.

I had a much longer post about this, but it got eaten by the internet. Short version is that suggesting career lawyers at the AG's office (the ones who, you know, will actually be defending the State of North Carolina in the lawsuit) would not do their best to zealously advocate for their client is just fucking stupid. If Cooper, or any of the DAG's who will handle this case, tanked it on purpose they could be disbarred.

But nice to know that our Governor with "business experience" is comfortable pissing away taxpayer funds on outside counsel.

Almost every action that Cooper has taken since he obtained his position has been for his own personal political gain, whether or not his objectives coincided with the best interests of the NC citizens. The guy is a straight hack. For those who rail on McCrory, Cooper will be 10 times worse should he ever be elected.

I had a much longer post about this, but it got eaten by the internet. Short version is that suggesting career lawyers at the AG's office (the ones who, you know, will actually be defending the State of North Carolina in the lawsuit) would not do their best to zealously advocate for their client is just fucking stupid. If Cooper, or any of the DAG's who will handle this case, tanked it on purpose they could be disbarred.

But nice to know that our Governor with "business experience" is comfortable pissing away taxpayer funds on outside counsel.

Cooper should have been disbarred years ago. He is a bum.

I know exactly what I'm talking about. I've dealt extensively with him and his office over the years.

So you don't like him? He's made your life difficult?

So he should be disbarred because...???

Yeah, I would like to hear some specific examples. Seems like if there's something there Tillis and Berger would have been giving Cooper hell over it for the past 4 years. Pretty big words to say that the AG of our state has been taking "almost every action" for personal political gain since being elected 13 years ago unless you have something to back it up.

Without divulging too many specifics, look at the press releases issued by his office and compare them to the actual settlement agreements of the underlying cases. What you'll find is a giant disconnect between the two. The public is told one version (aimed at the sole objective of pimping Cooper) that does not accurately reflect the facts of the issues or the contents settlement documents themselves. Lies and propoganda. And then when called out on it, it is always "oops, sorry, the press department is a different department, we can't control them or cause them to issue a corrective retraction" despite it being squarely within his scope of authority. And, poof, there goes the business in question.

Without divulging too many specifics, look at the press releases issued by his office and compare them to the actual settlement agreements of the underlying cases. What you'll find is a giant disconnect between the two. The public is told one version (aimed at the sole objective of pimping Cooper) that does not accurately reflect the facts of the issues or the contents settlement documents themselves. Lies and propoganda. And then when called out on it, it is always "oops, sorry, the press department is a different department, we can't control them or cause them to issue a corrective retraction" despite it being squarely within his scope of authority. And, poof, there goes the business in question.

So now spinning press releases to make your work sound good after the fact is grounds for disbarrment?

Yeah no attorney general ever has been known to issue self-aggrandizing press releases. You're going to have to do better than that. Also, how many times has this happened to you and your clients? If more than once, don't you think you should have built something about the press release into the settlement the second time?

Back