• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interesting play by McCrory on voter i.d. litigation

Yeah no attorney general ever has been known to issue self-aggrandizing press releases. You're going to have to do better than that. Also, how many times has this happened to you and your clients? If more than once, don't you think you should have built something about the press release into the settlement the second time?

1. There is a big difference between self-aggrandizing and making shit up.

2. When the "no press release" is part of the agreement that they choose to ignore with their "oops" response, there isn't much you can do about it (other than sue them, which is difficult when the press release just submarined your business).

OK. So it happened once? And from that you draw the conclusion that every action the AG has taken in 13 years is to further his personal political goals?

Don't get me wrong, if Cooper is crooked I want to know about it. I have been practicing law in NC for 12 years (so, basically Cooper's whole tenure) and this is the first time I've heard someone bitch about him (or say much of anything at all about him) so I am genuinely curious.

Without divulging too many specifics, look at the press releases issued by his office and compare them to the actual settlement agreements of the underlying cases. What you'll find is a giant disconnect between the two. The public is told one version (aimed at the sole objective of pimping Cooper) that does not accurately reflect the facts of the issues or the contents settlement documents themselves. Lies and propoganda. And then when called out on it, it is always "oops, sorry, the press department is a different department, we can't control them or cause them to issue a corrective retraction" despite it being squarely within his scope of authority. And, poof, there goes the business in question.

Not buying this. You are describing the easiest lawsuit in the world, if one party does not abide by the terms of settlement agreement, all of which include a clause on how the agreement may be described publicly. If there were "lies and propaganda" regarding the settlement documents, then any lawyer who'd passed the bar could sue on those issues and win.

It's hard to imagine someone doing a worse job than McCrory.

1. There is a big difference between self-aggrandizing and making shit up.

2. When the "no press release" is part of the agreement that they choose to ignore with their "oops" response, there isn't much you can do about it (other than sue them, which is difficult when the press release just submarined your business).

1. This would be a slam-dunk claim.

2. This would be slam-dunk damages connected to the claim.

Not when all your money is gone and you're in the pen thanks to ol' Roy. Many lawsuits are easy in theory. In the real world a lot of those theories disappear when trying to fight the 800lb gorilla, especially when that gorilla is fueling itself on endless taxpayer resources. People's mindsets can flip from offensive to defensive pretty damn quick.

You wouldn't need money in such an instance, as any plaintiff's attorney would take such a claim on contingency, seeing big pockets ahead. Being "in the pen" wouldn't matter either, and if you were there because of malfeasance, the value of said claim just skyrocketed to the point that good attorneys would literally fight over the right to represent you. You're describing a slam-dunk claim -- willful misrepresentation of the facts, in violation of a signed settlement agreement (the language of which has been agreed upon by two informed parties). A first year law student could win that claim. There are no easier claims to push than a willful misrepresentation or lie about a signed, agreed-upon legal document. Those are pretty hard to make shit up about and get away with.

In fact, why aren't you filing papers as we speak?

Plenty of law firms involved, nobody touched it. It takes the right kind of plaintiffs to challenge the state under the current system: either somebody with nothing and thus nothing to lose, or somebody with fuck you money to prove a point. Those in the middle can usually see the train coming at them through the tunnel.

Almost every action that Cooper has taken since he obtained his position has been for his own personal political gain, whether or not his objectives coincided with the best interests of the NC citizens. The guy is a straight hack. For those who rail on McCrory, Cooper will be 10 times worse should he ever be elected.

If Cooper did nothing as governor but veto the crap the legislature is doing then that would be a massive step in the right direction.

Cooper should have been disbarred years ago. He is a bum.

That is a pretty serious charge to levy, I would like to see it supported by facts. I assume you have reported Mr. Cooper to the N.C. State Bar or appropriate court as required by N.C. RPC 8.3(a):
"A lawyer who knows that another lawyer has committed a violation of the Rules of Professional Conduct that raises a substantial question as to that lawyer's honesty, trustworthiness or fitness as a lawyer in other respects, shall inform the North Carolina State Bar or the court having jurisdiction over the matter."

That or you are just lobbing ridiculous and irresponsible allegations of professional misconduct at someone who happens to be of the other political party.

Plenty of law firms involved, nobody touched it. It takes the right kind of plaintiffs to challenge the state under the current system: either somebody with nothing and thus nothing to lose, or somebody with fuck you money to prove a point. Those in the middle can usually see the train coming at them through the tunnel.

Ummm no. Send this case my way.

Back