• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interstellar

Say Hey Deac

Reaction score
I don't know if it was good or bad or whatever, but that is definitely a movie I have never seen before, so I dug it. Now I want to read a lot of shit about it.

I loved it. The relativity aspect of it was just awesome. It's pretty realistic.

Why were they near Saturn at end?

Why had no one yet gone to Edmunds planet via the wormhole?

They parked the habitat near Saturn to facilitate staging for the wormhole.

Ok, but no one solo tried. How would they know brand was ok or the planet habitable.

Seems to me they already would have sent advance scouts.

The Mann section was my favorite

Love me some Matt Damon

Why did the black astronaut age faster than cooper and brand?

Weren't they all in the same neck of the woods?

Why did the black astronaut age faster than cooper and brand?

Weren't they all in the same neck of the woods?

Relativity. Time is greatly affected by large gravity wells. The planet was so close to the black hole that, while cooper and brand only experienced a few hours of elapsed time, the other astronaut in the ship aged much faster. He was farther from the gravity well and less affected.

If we ever do manage to move at close to the speed of light. This will be a real problem. As you move faster, time remains the same to you, relatively speaking. However, those on earth will have died many times over before you arrive at your destination.

Hawking has discredited the existence of the type of black hole he originally conceived.

I love physics but am too daft.

I really appreciated how Nolan tricked us into thinking Mann was a good guy.

Especially after he was first awakened from hibernation.

Last edited:
I thought it got a bit soggy toward the end, but I think that it's easily my favorite Christopher Nolan film. There are a few scenes that are just emotionally brutal and utterly non-contrived.

The Zimmer score was unreal, too. The Thin Red Line meets Koyaanisqatsi. Perfect complement to the stunning imagery.

Hawking has discredited the existence of the type of black hole he originally conceived.

I love physics but am too daft.

Especially after he was first awakened from hibernation.

Is it as simple as whether or not he is a good guy? Weak, cowardly, etc., but I don't think the intention was to paint him as a villain. I thought that whole section of the movie really did a lot to decenter the audience in terms of what type of outcome we were hoping for and why.

Last edited:

Did he not also trick us into thinking he was an Asian dude? When they showed the wall of astronauts and talked glowingly about Mann, they showed an Asian guy. Definitely didn't see a pic of Matt Damon on that wall.

Why were they near Saturn at end?

Why had no one yet gone to Edmunds planet via the wormhole?

I wasn't clear on whether the worm hole was still there. Seems like TARS said the "Tesseract" had closed (I think that's the 5D space in the black hole), not sure about the worm hole.

If the worm hole is still there, I assume they haven't gone because she hasn't been able to transmit (or just hasn't transmitted yet because she just arrived minutes ago her time, though it's been years earth time), so they don't know where she is or whether she's alive or whether the planet is conducive to life.

If the worm hole is not there, then I have no idea where Coop thinks he's going at the end or why they set up the space station next to Saturn.

So for that reason I'm guessing the worm hole is still there and the former is the most likely answer.

I enjoyed it very much and it was stunningly beautiful visually, but I didn't love it like Inception and the last two Dark Knight films. You kind of get a sense of how he and his brother plot movies, so I had some suspicions regarding plot points that I ended up being right about (ex. like who the "they" were that were always being referred to, Mann's intentions). Between this and Gravity, I think I enjoyed Gravity slightly more even if apparently it got more of the science wrong (although there were some obvious liberties taken at the very end of Interstellar)

I enjoyed it very much and it was stunningly beautiful visually, but I didn't love it like Inception and the last two Dark Knight films. You kind of get a sense of how he and his brother plot movies, so I had some suspicions regarding plot points that I ended up being right about (ex. like who the "they" were that were always being referred to, Mann's intentions). Between this and Gravity, I think I enjoyed Gravity slightly more even if apparently it got more of the science wrong (although there were some obvious liberties taken at the very end of Interstellar)

What about Sapce Cowboys?

Man. That planet with the tides was insane. Such a cool part of the movie.

Pretty good flick. A little formulaic in terms of Nolan's past work. Felt like it could have incorporated more subtlety at times (you rose from the dead... Lazarus). The beginning suffered from dragging a bit. Great acting from MM. Still gonna stick to 2001 as my favorite space sci-fi movie.

MM shows his chops in the scene with dying Murph.

That scene choked me up

Saw it again tonight and it only improved

This time in 35 mm film

Where's RJK's review?

Back