• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

What do you guys do when a stock just explodes? I bought a decent amount of Plug Power early last fall for ~$11. Its current price is $74. Do you guys take profits and just deal with short term capital gains or hold it? I don't think it's crashing back down to earth anytime soon but obviously it's been pretty volatile.

Congrats! My brother bought big earlier this year into FCEL at around $2.00 per share. He kept telling me to get in. I bought some (nowhere near his amount but not insignificant). It ran up to $4 and came back. I thought, meh, this isn't for me and got out. It's now at $21. Whoops. My bro has made a killing on it and kept telling me to get back in at like $8 and $10. The one that got away....

Does something this big have the ability to bring about new legislation and a crackdown. It pretty clearly market manipulation where a bunch of mico traders working in concert represent a macro scale.

It’s fitting that GameStop is about to fuck a bunch of people on resale value.

What's the percentage of people currently buying GameStop that use Robinhood? 75%?

something weird going on with AMC too? One of my friends posted that he made $45K on it this morning. How does it go wrong?

Does something this big have the ability to bring about new legislation and a crackdown. It pretty clearly market manipulation where a bunch of mico traders working in concert represent a macro scale.

Great question. I'm not sure how you "regulate" that type of crowdsourced speculation. The bigger question, oddly, may be are regulations put in place to stop institutions from manipulating prices with shorts (and even then I'm not sure I see how easy that is to implement). So many of these normally "thin" liquidity type stocks could be subjected to manipulation.

People are now pumping AMC theatres too.

What do you guys do when a stock just explodes? I bought a decent amount of Plug Power early last fall for ~$11. Its current price is $74. Do you guys take profits and just deal with short term capital gains or hold it? I don't think it's crashing back down to earth anytime soon but obviously it's been pretty volatile.

In those scenarios (and congrats bc that is just a killing) I always take profits so I'm in the money to some degree (say a 20% profit on my initial investment) and let the rest ride if I have reason to think the run is likely not done.

SEC would theoretically rather go after Robinhood instead of individual investors for this, right?

Go after them for what?

I got in on BB at open this morning. At 1:52, I had made $32. At 1:57, I had made $53. Cool.

Congrats! My brother bought big earlier this year into FCEL at around $2.00 per share. He kept telling me to get in. I bought some (nowhere near his amount but not insignificant). It ran up to $4 and came back. I thought, meh, this isn't for me and got out. It's now at $21. Whoops. My bro has made a killing on it and kept telling me to get back in at like $8 and $10. The one that got away....

Bro sold today at $23.50 and pocketed a little over $110k profit. Dag.

Back