• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

SEC would theoretically rather go after Robinhood instead of individual investors for this, right?

Everything here is legal. What’s likely to happen is congress/regulators shut out retail investors because you can’t have the working class making money.

Everything here is legal. What’s likely to happen is congress/regulators shut out retail investors because you can’t have the working class making money.

sorry by "go after" I didn't mean through the enforcement of laws but the creation of new ones

Yeah the outrage from investment companies over individuals teaming up to make money is rich.

There is a real benefit to being able to short for hedging purposes. But naked short selling should be banned there is no economic benefit

I read a take that redditors (from a forum that bills itself as 4chan with a Bloomberg terminal) trying to fuck over professional investors was another manifestation of online alt right anti-semitism and now I can’t get any enjoyment from this story anymore.

Has the wallstreetbets subreddit been taken down or is it just crashed from volume?

Has the wallstreetbets subreddit been taken down or is it just crashed from volume?

"We are experiencing technical difficulties based on unprecedented scale as a result of the newfound interest in WSB. We are unable to ensure Reddit's content policy and the WSB rules are enforceable without a technology platform that can support automation of this enforcement. WSB will be back."

I read a take that redditors (from a forum that bills itself as 4chan with a Bloomberg terminal) trying to fuck over professional investors was another manifestation of online alt right anti-semitism and now I can’t get any enjoyment from this story anymore.

The enemy of my enemy...

Not sure I see value in the level of short played on GME or any number of other cos. out there. Also don't see much value in a bunch of people teaming together online to manipulate a stock to beyond insane levels. I also don't have any answer for "what to do" about either of these things. I do think the SEC needs to back off their rules on who is an "accredited" investor. Being young and not yet rich, as but one example, is not indicative of whether you are capable of recognizing risk and making your own choices about where to park your money. IOW, why should the likes of Melvin only be available for investment to institutions and those who have socked away a million of net worth?

Not sure I see value in the level of short played on GME or any number of other cos. out there. Also don't see much value in a bunch of people teaming together online to manipulate a stock to beyond insane levels. I also don't have any answer for "what to do" about either of these things. I do think the SEC needs to back off their rules on who is an "accredited" investor. Being young and not yet rich, as but one example, is not indicative of whether you are capable of recognizing risk and making your own choices about where to park your money. IOW, why should the likes of Melvin only be available for investment to institutions and those who have socked away a million of net worth?

Exactly. If anything we need more democratization and access. I get these elite investor went to prestigious schools and think they're better than everyone else, but at the end of the day it is an open and free market. If you start creating new barriers to entry then why should our democratic institutions work with a rigged market?

It’s the question of does the government need to restrict things because people can’t be responsible for their own actions. It’s like gambling restrictions that also seem to be becoming more relaxed. I personally don’t care what individuals end up doing, but the result of the actions can have massive negative consequence to society as a whole. The problem is going to be that the consequence of actions for the micro level investor are going to be orders of magnitude greater than these “suits” they are looking to take down. Billions in assets means they just roll to the next thing, while some dumbass that knows nothing, wanted to be part of the in group, the memes, the feeling of community drops every last penny they have on an inflated stock and loses it all. Wasn’t there already some young person that committed suicide because they lost all their money on Robinhood?

It’s the question of does the government need to restrict things because people can’t be responsible for their own actions. It’s like gambling restrictions that also seem to be becoming more relaxed. I personally don’t care what individuals end up doing, but the result of the actions can have massive negative consequence to society as a whole. The problem is going to be that the consequence of actions for the micro level investor are going to be orders of magnitude greater than these “suits” they are looking to take down. Billions in assets means they just roll to the next thing, while some dumbass that knows nothing, wanted to be part of the in group, the memes, the feeling of community drops every last penny they have on an inflated stock and loses it all. Wasn’t there already some young person that committed suicide because they lost all their money on Robinhood?

Seen on Twitter. The SEC is going to ban outsider trading. That isn't the answer.

FWIW, I thought this was a pretty well rounded discussion on the whole thing. And, yes, many, many people are going to get fucked if/when people jump off the GME gravy train.

Anyway, for all the flack some on CNBC have taken this was just a good discussion.

I lost half my net worth in like a week shorting Tesla and Zoom earlier this year. The accountant in me couldn't wrap his head around the crazy multiples, and it's up damn near 4x from when I exited my short position. I've also gone busto numerous times gambling for a living. Derivates was also the hardest class in the wake accounting program and I was in the top of my class at it. So by all rational measurements, I should be accredited to do whatever I want, but I'm also exactly the type of person who needs to be stopped from doing something stupid. So I can see both sides.

At the end of the day, hedge funds, private equity, etc. It's all a vehicle for someone to take a guaranteed 2% a year plus 20% of the profits, which doesn't come close to beating the market over the long haul. Of course 10% of the people get lucky and have a track record of luck that makes them billionaires, but those that did it were most likely either lucky or a crook to make it. Our entire economy is basically structured off of leeching money off of other people. Lawyers convincing everyone they need their $600/hr cut. Accountants need their $200/hr cut. Money Managers get their 2% + some become billionaires. Every media company in the world looking for the $9.99/month cut. Hot chicks looking for their $20/month onlyfans subscription or clothing referral credit on instagram. Fox news is willing to destroy the country to sell some ads.

I'm not sure allowing more money to funnel into a system that's designed to make most of its investors broke in the long term as the money managers take 2% a year off the net worth of those that invest with them is the way to go.

Last edited:
Good post.

At the core of all this is somebody making $8 an hour explaining to people why the trade in value of the game they got for Christmas is only $20.

I just wish we could create an economy where people who just work for a living can make it.

who the hell is still buying at $300/share for a crap company? I get wanting to screw the man, but there's a point where the fundamentals have to kick in.

Back