• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Invitation To See, Meet And Eat With BBall Team And Staff...

Cav may start. I'd be pretty surprised if Madison starts over Coron. That's what Jennings is saying, so he may be correct, but I would disagree with the decision.

Wrangor is correct about the packline - that you need to be a good rebounding team if you're going to play it well. And I'd throw UVA in there as well as a good packline team. When Tony Bennett was at WSU in the high basketball desert, he went to 3 straight postseason tourneys using the packline with some seriously inferior talent. He now has better talent at UVA than when he started here, and the packline is working well. But the main difference between UVA's situation and ours is they have an excellent rebounding team, and we have an awful rebounding team. UVA will be in the top 3-4 of the ACC this season.

That said, I still think the packline would help us defensively because it would enable us to provide better help on penetration - which we give up a lot of (in fact, we're often a lay-up line on D). I don't know if Dave Odom (and Terry Holland for that matter) ran the packline per se, but Odom had the same defensive concepts - don't overplay, sag and help on penetration, rebound well, body opponents as they entered the lane and force the opponent to go to their 4th or 5th option with the clock running down.

I'd be a proponent of this team running the pack line because it will help stop dribble penetration as cville correctly points out.

I'll point out that we also will run some zone and press, so the pack line won't be the only defense we use, but definitely look for it at times.

I'd be a proponent of this team running the pack line because it will help stop dribble penetration as cville correctly points out.

I'll point out that we also will run some zone and press, so the pack line won't be the only defense we use, but definitely look for it at times.

Fantastic, given the success [Redacted] had in installing his man to man scheme, makes perfect sense to install three additional different schemes.

I guess better to do three things poorly rather than just one.

Fantastic, given the success [Redacted] had in installing his man to man scheme, makes perfect sense to install three additional different schemes.

I guess better to do three things poorly rather than just one.

I believe Tony Bennett would have success if he were coaching these kids and installed the packline man. UVA was 16th in the country last year in FG% D at 38.8%. We were 295th at 45.5%. Whatever kind of D you're playing, if you look at their career stats, Bennett knows how to coach D and Buzzdick simply does not - worst FG% D in the ACC and B-12 for the last 5 years. I guess the point is it really doesn't matter what style of D Buzzdick is coaching - he simply can't teach D.

I guess the point is it really doesn't matter what style of D Buzzdick is coaching - he simply can't teach D.

UNPOSSIBLE!!!

31yVQU5XPdL.jpg

I believe Tony Bennett would have success if he were coaching these kids and installed the packline man. UVA was 16th in the country last year in FG% D at 38.8%. We were 295th at 45.5%. Whatever kind of D you're playing, if you look at their career stats, Bennett knows how to coach D and Buzzdick simply does not - worst FG% D in the ACC and B-12 for the last 5 years. I guess the point is it really doesn't matter what style of D Buzzdick is coaching - he simply can't teach D.

You've got a real bone dog for FG%D don't you? I think this is the tenth time you've brought it up. Not that I disagree with your general premise, just noticed it.

Anyone have the numbers for points per possession defense? That seems more applicable than cville's bone dog.

Anyone have the numbers for points per possession defense? That seems more applicable than cville's bone dog.

Isn't KenPom defensive efficiency basically PPP adjusted for opponent strength and multiplied by 100?

During [Redacted]'s head coaching career:

2013 Wake: 96.7 (84)
2012 Wake: 104.4 (236)
2011 Wake: 107.7 (281)
2010 Colo.: 103.4 (213)
2009 Colo.: 100.8 (148)
2008 Colo.: 99.2 (101)
2007 AFA : 95.8 (48)
2006 AFA : 98.5 (95)

I agree as to ppp. I've always thought FG% D and ppp D are the 2 most important stats in hoops. Not a believer in scoring D because that unfairly hurts up tempo teams because they're gonna have 10-15 more possessions a game. The NCAA site didn't have ppp D. B$, prolly more like the 50th time I've brought up FG% D - mostly because Buzzdick's teams are so bad at it. You can watch us play and think we play terrible D, but it's nice to be able to quantify it.

FG% D was also a big issue on the board when Skip had the CP3 teams right after JoHo's senior year. My recollection was that we were something like 11th in the country in FG% D JoHo's last year and then somewhere between 200th and 250th the 2 CP3 years.

Back