• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Iran Nuclear Deal Reached

Probably not, but it's a better plan than we had before. I'll be curious how the fear mongersin the GOP try to spin this as a negative. Probably something to the effect of "Obama made us weaker by capitulating to the Iranians."

I'm curious to see what we gave up in return.

Or, "Obama turned his back on our Israeli allies."

I have no problem with that interpretation. I'm tired of us fighting their fights for them. If Israel wants to end Iran's nuke program they can do it themselves in a matter of minutes.

"At three o'clock in the morning on the fifth day, white smoke in the negotiations!" Iran Deputy Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi said in a post on Twitter.

This strike anybody else as weird? Foreign minister of an Islamic county making a pope reference.

Probably not, but it's a better plan than we had before. I'll be curious how the fear mongersin the GOP try to spin this as a negative. Probably something to the effect of "Obama made us weaker by capitulating to the Iranians."

Amazing what WH will do to distract attention from O-care

— JohnCornyn (@JohnCornyn) November 24, 2013
:cam:

Seems like weak sauce. Iran: They suspend enrichment (they don't have to give up any technology or dismantle any reactors, etc) for 6 months. At the end of 6 months, they can start again (or they can break the deal with no repercussions before the 6 month mark). The "West": Alleviate/ease economic sanctions to the tune of ~ $10+ bln. At the end of 6 months, Iran back to bomb making, the "west" out $$. I don't see how this is any different from any other "kick the can down the road" thing done by our congress.

Just buying time for Isreal...

Over/under on when the first "intrusive inspectors" are denied access to something?

Seems like weak sauce. Iran: They suspend enrichment (they don't have to give up any technology or dismantle any reactors, etc) for 6 months. At the end of 6 months, they can start again (or they can break the deal with no repercussions before the 6 month mark). The "West": Alleviate/ease economic sanctions to the tune of ~ $10+ bln. At the end of 6 months, Iran back to bomb making, the "west" out $$. I don't see how this is any different from any other "kick the can down the road" thing done by our congress.

As Vadtoy just said, "anyone who talks about reactors is way off point and doesn't understand what is going on".

The biggest concession is that Iran gives up the direct claim that enrichment is a right, and further by giving IAEA safeguards access to the mining process means they effectively have agreed to the additional protocol to the NPT which they have not signed and used to hide parts of the fuel cycle.

"If you had told me 6 months ago Iran would concede this much I'd have laughed at you".

Vadtoy also just pointed at that we really have no "sticks" left to use on Iran. By giving this relaxation of sanctions - the sanctions are available to be used again in 6 months time (and will hurt more).

Last edited:
As Vadtoy just said, "anyone who talks about reactors is way off point and doesn't understand what is going on".

The biggest concession is that Iran gives up the direct claim that enrichment is a right, and further by giving IAEA safeguards access to the mining process means they effectively have agreed to the additional protocol to the NPT which they have not signed and used to hide parts of the fuel cycle.

"If you had told me 6 months ago Iran would concede this much I'd have laughed at you".

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, Vad, but this quote from the Iranian leader would seem to directly contradict what is bolded above:

"Not long after the accord was reached, Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani said the deal recognizes Tehran’s “right” to maintain an enrichment program.

Rouhani said, “Let anyone make his own reading, but this right is clearly stated in the text of the agreement that Iran can continue its enrichment, and I announce to our people that our enrichment activities will continue as before.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/kerry-in-geneva-raising-hopes-for-historic-nuclear-deal-with-iran/2013/11/23/53e7bfe6-5430-11e3-9fe0-fd2ca728e67c_story.html

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, Vad, but this quote from the Iranian leader would seem to directly contradict what is bolded above:

"Not long after the accord was reached, Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani said the deal recognizes Tehran’s “right” to maintain an enrichment program.

Rouhani said, “Let anyone make his own reading, but this right is clearly stated in the text of the agreement that Iran can continue its enrichment, and I announce to our people that our enrichment activities will continue as before.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/kerry-in-geneva-raising-hopes-for-historic-nuclear-deal-with-iran/2013/11/23/53e7bfe6-5430-11e3-9fe0-fd2ca728e67c_story.html

The language is substantially weaker than Iran has demanded (and not negotiated on) in the past. By not making it an explicit point, but including it tangentially in a section on domestic nuclear power it's completely detoothed.

Rouhani will say what he has to for his own domestic crowd, but that was a major concession and the only reason the P5+1 would agree to any deal.

Back