• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is America the greatest country on Earth?

?

• Yes

Votes: 111 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 36 24.5%

• Total voters

Even the snakes have a better work ethic in America.

Child Dies After Being Strangled by Pet Python in Florida

A 2-year-old Florida girl died after being strangled by a pet python that escaped from its aquarium and attacked her in her crib, police said.

Shaiunna Hare was strangled early Wednesday morning by the 8-foot, 5-inch snake as she slept after it got out of its tank in another room of the house, according to Sumter County Sheriff's Lt. Steve Binegar.

Paramedics said the little girl was dead when they arrived at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the central Florida home in Oxford, about 50 miles northwest of Orlando.

Deputies told FOX Tampa affiliate WTVT that the live-in boyfriend of the little girl's mother may face charges for not having a permit for the snake, a Burmese python.

Jaren Ashley Hare, 21, and her daughter shared the home with Hare's boyfriend, 32-year-old Charles Jason Darnell, deputies said.

"The baby's dead!" a sobbing caller from the house screamed to a 911 dispatcher in a recording. "Our stupid snake got out in the middle of the night and strangled the baby."

Authorities did not identify the caller and removed the person's name from the recording.

Darnell told investigators that he put the snake in a bag inside its aquarium Tuesday night. But when he woke up Wednesday morning, he said, the snake was gone. He found it wrapped around the girl in her crib.

Darnell stabbed the snake repeatedly to free the little girl, but the toddler already had been strangled. The snake also bit her on the head, the station reported.

He called 911 after he pried the python away from the child.

"She got out of the cage last night and got into the baby's crib and strangled her to death," a caller said in the 911 tape.

The pet had already escaped once earlier that night, WTVT said.

Authorities removed the snake from the small house, bordered by cow pastures, Wednesday afternoon after obtaining a search warrant. Once outside the python was placed in a bag, which was put inside a dog crate. It was still alive.

Deputies say Darnell did not have the $100 permit required to own a python in Florida, which is a second-degree misdemeanor.

He has not been charged, but Sumter County Sheriff's Lt. Bobby Caruthers said investigators were looking into whether there was child neglect or if any other laws were broken.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation spokeswoman Joy Hill said the snake will be placed with someone who has a permit, pending an investigation into the girl's death.

Burmese pythons are not native to Florida, but they easily survive in the state and can reach a length of 26 feet and weigh more than 200 pounds.

Some owners have freed pythons into the wild and a population of them has taken hold in the Everglades. One killed an alligator and then burst when it tried to eat it.

Scientists also speculate a bevy of Burmese pythons escaped in 1992 from pet shops battered by Hurricane Andrew and have been reproducing since.

"It's becoming more and more of a problem, perhaps no fault of the animal, more a fault of the human," said Jorge Pino, a state wildlife commission spokesman. "People purchase these animals when they're small. When they grow, they either can't control them or release them."

George Van Horn, owner of Reptile World Serpentarium in St. Cloud, said the strangulation could have occurred because the snake felt threatened or because it thought the child was food.

"They are always operating on instinct," he said. "Even the largest person can become overpowered by a python."

^^^ WTF, Florida??? At least in Australia it's the wildlife trying to kill you, and not your pet.

Okay I got tired of reading this thread around page 4, so maybe I'm rehashing some shit here but I have a goddamn opinion.

This is a completely subjective question. I, for one, have lived in Europe and prefer to live there for a number of reasons, none of which are impossible to find in the USA but it's just a personal thing. First, I value free time and cultural exchange more than money. I make almost zero extravagant purchases. I don't need a large living space or a car, particularly if I'm in a walkable/bike friendly city. I like being in the center of a city's activity. I like being able to take a 2 hour train or a 2 hour plane and be in a place that speaks a different language, or has the shadow of communism hanging over it. These are the things that fuel my life. I grew up in suburbia and one of my worst fears is returning to it.

As far as taxes and bureaucracy go, they are a pain in Europe, but I maintain that they are easier to deal with because you actually see a benefit from it. You get great unemployment. Everyone gets health care, for the most part. Where I lived (Germany) has unbelievable infrastructure. I got about a month of paid vacation a year. While all the rules take getting used to, they do provide for a relaxing life by way of limiting working hours and providing safety. I never felt as though I couldn't say whatever I wanted, and they have very active political groups that have a greater parliamentary share than any of our non-major parties. Only some of them are neo-nazi.

That being said, it's not for everyone. Some of you want to make a million dollars and have a big house on a lot of land far away from other people. You want to have a car and a gun. You aren't willing to give away any of your money, and quite honestly if you're not seeing any benefit for it then I don't blame you. You had better LOVE that military for all the money you're putting into it.

I find that innovation and success in America comes at a price. You want to close on Sunday? SOL unless you make great fried chicken sandwiches. It's come to the point where if you want to have the money and benefits that provide for a relaxing life in America, you have to give up all hope of having a relaxing life. And that's celebrated.

I would never give up my American citizenship and there are a million reasons why it's a great country. The combination of sheer size, beauty, and unique cultural melting pot are unmatched. But to me, it's very hard to just sit back and look around and enjoy America. You should always be doing something else. I liked it more when I was gone.

Okay I got tired of reading this thread around page 4, so maybe I'm rehashing some shit here but I have a goddamn opinion.

This is a completely subjective question. I, for one, have lived in Europe and prefer to live there for a number of reasons, none of which are impossible to find in the USA but it's just a personal thing. First, I value free time and cultural exchange more than money. I make almost zero extravagant purchases. I don't need a large living space or a car, particularly if I'm in a walkable/bike friendly city. I like being in the center of a city's activity. I like being able to take a 2 hour train or a 2 hour plane and be in a place that speaks a different language, or has the shadow of communism hanging over it. These are the things that fuel my life. I grew up in suburbia and one of my worst fears is returning to it.

As far as taxes and bureaucracy go, they are a pain in Europe, but I maintain that they are easier to deal with because you actually see a benefit from it. You get great unemployment. Everyone gets health care, for the most part. Where I lived (Germany) has unbelievable infrastructure. I got about a month of paid vacation a year. While all the rules take getting used to, they do provide for a relaxing life by way of limiting working hours and providing safety. I never felt as though I couldn't say whatever I wanted, and they have very active political groups that have a greater parliamentary share than any of our non-major parties. Only some of them are neo-nazi.

That being said, it's not for everyone. Some of you want to make a million dollars and have a big house on a lot of land far away from other people. You want to have a car and a gun. You aren't willing to give away any of your money, and quite honestly if you're not seeing any benefit for it then I don't blame you. You had better LOVE that military for all the money you're putting into it.

I find that innovation and success in America comes at a price. You want to close on Sunday? SOL unless you make great fried chicken sandwiches. It's come to the point where if you want to have the money and benefits that provide for a relaxing life in America, you have to give up all hope of having a relaxing life. And that's celebrated.

I would never give up my American citizenship and there are a million reasons why it's a great country. The combination of sheer size, beauty, and unique cultural melting pot are unmatched. But to me, it's very hard to just sit back and look around and enjoy America. You should always be doing something else. I liked it more when I was gone.

nm

the best developed (key word here) countries in the world in the next 50 years will be those with fertility rates above 2 and/or a constant influx of high quality immigrants

USA is at the top of that heap; European countries are at the bottom.

I say Norway is going to be pretty well off with the strict immigration policies and the bundles of Oil its sitting on. And the global warming trends.

I say Norway is going to be pretty well off with the strict immigration policies and the bundles of Oil its sitting on. And the global warming trends.

immigration is a good thing. oil is an unsustainable energy source.

global warming is actually one of the only long-term things norway has going for it.

all that said, i love the place.

Nah. The next SteveJobsBro is going to invent a truly dopealicious electric/hydrogen/runsongarbagelikebacktothefuture car and is going to put all the A-rabs in the poor house. Necessity is the mother of invention, and we arent quite there yet, but we gettin there. Norway bros will still be able to use that oil to heat their poorly pigminted asses in their awful climate.

Nah. The next SteveJobsBro is going to invent a truly dopealicious electric/hydrogen/runsongarbagelikebacktothefuture car and is going to put all the A-rabs in the poor house. Necessity is the mother of invention, and we arent quite there yet, but we gettin there. Norway bros will still be able to use that oil to heat their poorly pigminted asses in their awful climate.

who is john galt?

Voting 'yes' feels a little like hubris, but I can't think of another nation that permits the free exchange and tolerance of ideas while accommodating such diversity the way the U.S. does. We have serious problems that require serious solutions, but I think it's possible to recognize those flaws and still think the U.S. is the best without going all Team America on the world.

I like this response.

football_shutterstock.jpg

And this.

This video from the Newsroom may have been posted before. He supposedly said the statistics backwards though, but still compelling to listen to.

Last edited:
Holy shit that show was terrible. Just terrible.

the 2015 golden state warriors weren't the best team in the nba. they were 15th in opposing points per game, 9th in free throw percentage, 6th in rebounds, 21st in turnovers and 4th in steals. they only led the league in points per game, being punks and good luck.

I think it would be cool to live in Australia, because it's pretty and clean down there in the cities and the weather is nice, but you do have to deal with the fact it is so goddamn far away from everywhere else and every other critter down there in the land or sea is capable of killing you instantly. So that's a problem. And although they are really into sports, it's basically only rugby and Australian Rules Football, along with random Olympic sports like swimming. It's also going to be 90 degrees at Christmas, which is just totally fucked up and unnatural.

New Zealand has outstanding scenery and is quite chill, but if you want to live there, you might as well just move way out to the country here in the USA where there are a lot of sheep and no traffic and it rains a lot.

Scandinavia has hot chicks and the Aurora Borealis, but I'm under the impression is is balls cold for much of the year, everything is suuuuper expensive, and also all their bedtime stories involve trolls, which are disturbing.

So what are the other candidates for best country?

Back