• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is America the most brainwashed country on Earth?/least scientific belief

Pour has actually brought up some serious problems in science. There's reproducibility, peer review, access, grant funding, fraud, no places for null results, etc.

But it's just awful to bring up these things in the face of a scientifically illiterate country. To rationalize our national ignorance away because of systemic/methodological problems in science is just...staggering.

Yeah i don't really understand it. Like most things is science perfect, no far from it. With that said its no reason to discredit it as a whole or continue the national ignorance to how the rest of the world operates. It would be like you are nation run by a crazy sadistic dictator, you learn about democracy, man there sure are a lot of problems with democracy I think Ill just keep trucking along as is.

It's telling, on this thread, that rather than address America's issues with science, a few posters have chosen to address problems of science. I think it really speaks to our falling behind the world.
What is playing out on this thread IS the problem with Americans and science. I'm a scientist. I've been doing it for years. I see it first hand and have to deal with it. Science has major issues and one of the biggest is how bad or weak science is co-opted into causes and becomes concrete dogma...then often it's used to attack a political opponent..and the actual science which is changing gets ignored. Most of the liberal/progressives on this board do it constantly, and then pretend anyone not a believer in the dogma is a "conservative attacking science". That's what the OP is doing...attacking Americans as dumb for questioning "science". People are trying to undermine me for ever suggesting it happens, that should tell you something.

Take your stem cell dig. A common sense/moral restriction on embryonic stem cells arguable precipitated the biggest advances in the field, advances that had to happen and would have happened but probably much later. I was actually agnostic/against the restriction. But what happened? The funding moved to how to get around the restriction and it worked, precipitating huge advances. But you are lamenting the restriction and lumping it into the mythical "conservative attack on science". You bought into science by press release, that stem cells would be instant cures so anyone that restricted it was hurting our future and an idiot. I bet you can't even admit huge advances occurred as a result because the issue is so entrenched in your political views, you can't separate it and could NEVER believe something good came of it. I bet you think I'm attacking ALL science on this thread because you lump me into that category....and think I'm politically motivated when I'm not at all.

Here's another example. I've done a lot of drug addiction research and the major conference is CPDD. We were in Bal Harbour FL once and at that conference some lady who had never been there before showed up and talked about how addiction was a choice, not really a disease. The conference was abuzz with "Bush was trying to interfere with science" kind of talk. It got to a fever pitch with the late night hot tub crowd......going on and on about how evil it was for conservatives to try to influence science (as if liberals aren't trying to do that). The crowd there was mostly behavioral pharm and clinical/human lab friends, quite a few from Wake. After a while I finally piped in and pointed out that...they all research addiction as a choice paradigm, which it is. Was this lady that far off from what they actually believe? Dead silence for a while...and then they agreed they were going way overboard with their criticisms and her view was not really that much different. We all finally decided they called it a disease, she did not. That was it. It was amazing to watch.

There is a difference in insightful questioning of science and just plain ignorance and skepticism. Townie's point about stem cells is that because people didn't understand it and had some grand moral objection the funds were diverted away. Yes, there were other advances that came out of the diversion of funds but science should dictate where it goes not the ignorant public based off of moral beliefs from a book. How does one help the scientific community? Make the public more science literate and push for more education.

Whoa dude....a lot of those issues became real scientific dogma. It was irrefutable to science. It's a HUGE cop out to claim they didn't royally fuck up a lot of predictions

Look at fat. If these boards were around when fat first became the #1 American health boogie man back in the 1980s, I'm sure a majority of people on here would be making fun of anyone that said common sense says that fat can't be the problem scientists claim it is. They'd be citing science studies and acting like anyone saying "be cautious" was a moron and idiot....and linking to websites of scientists who claim all fat is bad. Look at the way Atkins was treated. He came out with a diet and health strategy that went against SCIENTIFIC dogma and challenged the norms that fat was bad. He was publicly destroyed but in the end was right. Nutritional science now has a lot of the basic tenants he put out in the very first book. His work stands, theirs does not...at least if you really understood what he was saying and not the journalist created boogieman they created to shoot him down.

Most of the general public were skeptical about those types of proclamations because of common sense....and guess what? They and their common sense were right. Bacon and eggs is actually not bad, and now people are claiming it's actually GOOD for you and healthy. So science was wrong. That has an effect on ALL science as a result. It's dangerous for scientists to make sweeping generalizations and act like their findings are irrefutable.....and IMO their responsibility to stop the journalists if they are bastardizing it. They don't, they let it happen.

And IMO there are a lot of issues today that are going down the exact same path. The CO2 issue is one of them. It's the same thing. Common sense says the "imminent disaster by human CO2 emission" is not likely for lots and lots and lots of reasons. That does not stop journalists and scientists from jumping on weak/baseless science and make sweeping generalizations about the end of the world as we know it. But I'm sure most people on this board believe that because there are a lot of "CO2 disaster" non-believers in America means we're scientifically illiterate. Replace CO2 with fat if you want to see how the CO2 will play out. I would not be surprised that scientists eventually consider low CO2 emissions like has happened as a positive thing.

I mean think about this PhDeac. CO2 is an irrefutable fucking plant NUTRIENT, not a environmental toxin as has been proclaimed by the EPA who are scientists. They aren't journalists pedaling crap.

so scientific inquiry is a process, and sometimes humans have inadequate data, make honest errors, lack enough precision in measuring equipment, fail to model some salient variables, have personal and professional biases, and exaggerate their findings. I do appreciate you reminding me of these facts, but the institution of science, the scientific method, is infallible, and, like an algorithm, will produce the correct result given the correct inputs. humans are the problem, not the science.

Last edited:
What is playing out on this thread IS the problem with Americans and science. I'm a scientist. I've been doing it for years. I see it first hand and have to deal with it. Science has major issues and one of the biggest is how bad or weak science is co-opted into causes and becomes concrete dogma...then often it's used to attack a political opponent..and the actual science which is changing gets ignored. Most of the liberal/progressives on this board do it constantly, and then pretend anyone not a believer in the dogma is a "conservative attacking science". That's what the OP is doing...attacking Americans as dumb for questioning "science". People are trying to undermine me for ever suggesting it happens, that should tell you something.

Take your stem cell dig. A common sense/moral restriction on embryonic stem cells arguable precipitated the biggest advances in the field, advances that had to happen and would have happened but probably much later. I was actually agnostic/against the restriction. But what happened? The funding moved to how to get around the restriction and it worked, precipitating huge advances. But you are lamenting the restriction and lumping it into the mythical "conservative attack on science". You bought into science by press release, that stem cells would be instant cures so anyone that restricted it was hurting our future and an idiot. I bet you can't even admit huge advances occurred as a result because the issue is so entrenched in your political views, you can't separate it and could NEVER believe something good came of it. I bet you think I'm attacking ALL science on this thread because you lump me into that category....and think I'm politically motivated when I'm not at all.

Here's another example. I've done a lot of drug addiction research and the major conference is CPDD. We were in Bal Harbour FL once and at that conference some lady who had never been there before showed up and talked about how addiction was a choice, not really a disease. The conference was abuzz with "Bush was trying to interfere with science" kind of talk. It got to a fever pitch with the late night hot tub crowd......going on and on about how evil it was for conservatives to try to influence science (as if liberals aren't trying to do that). The crowd there was mostly behavioral pharm and clinical/human lab friends, quite a few from Wake. After a while I finally piped in and pointed out that...they all research addiction as a choice paradigm, which it is. Was this lady that far off from what they actually believe? Dead silence for a while...and then they agreed they were going way overboard with their criticisms and her view was not really that much different. We all finally decided they called it a disease, she did not. That was it. It was amazing to watch.

meh for most of this but the bolded story (sort of) dovetails with a pretty interesting RadioLab from a few weeks ago. http://www.radiolab.org/story/317421-blame/

I completely disagree that this is one of the biggest issues in science. It is, in fact, not an issue of science, but of science administration, university and media manipulation. Politicians gonna politick. Scientists are not the issue here; they're not responsible for funding cuts or access issues or for how their research gets co-opted. They're far more often handcuffed by restrictions of their grant funding or their lab head/university. Sure, scientists are trying to advance their careers, and will do so early on by quantity over quality in publishing, and by listening to the "established dogma" of their lab heads or PIs. And I'm not picking nits with your examples about science; I haven't yet on this thread. I'm lumping you in with the evolution/climate change deniers because you chose a thread about America's scientific skepticism to jump on systemic scientific problems. And it's a worthwhile discussion, but perhaps not in the context of why Americans are so bad with science. No one in this thread has suggested that prevailing or common thought doesn't change in science; of course it does. I for one am not trying to undermine you for that at all.

This is a hilarious rationalization. Of course you're right that by not allowing scientists to investigate embryonic stem cells, we got a huge leap in other areas of stem cell research. But how could you possibly pretend there is no conservative attack on science. Embryonic stem cells are THE example. There was a socially conservative moral outcry that led to policy/funding changes. It's not a conspiracy theory; it played out in a very loud and public way. I never bought into anything, I was barely out of high school. Something good came out of it in spite of itself, and guess what, that's how science operates sometimes, by accident. People make discoveries in fields they aren't associated with that lead to accidental discoveries. People's hands are tied by policy, funding, or lack of creativity. Of course it happens. But are you seriously suggesting that this is a good reason to tie people's hands? I know you aren't, so why follow that line of reasoning???

Of course politicians on both sides have a skin in science. One has systematically and actively cut biomedical research funding and tried to get Congress involved in the NIH. The other has tried to co-opt for environmental and social affairs. I tend to be more forgiving to the latter.

My responses in bold.

I also like in a conversation about the scientific foundation being flawed, peer review, and scientific honesty. Pour posts a link for an article from JOVE, The Journal of Visualize Experiments whose mission statement is to post research in video format to help overcome the "poor reproducibility" of normal journal science, hmmm Im curious if they have an agenda.

Contemporary science is based on the claim that all reality is material or physical. There is no reality but material reality. Consciousness is a by-product of the physical activity of the brain. Matter is unconscious. Evolution is purposeless. God exists only as an idea in human minds, and hence in human heads.

These beliefs are powerful, not because most scientists think about them critically but because they don’t. The facts of science are real enough; so are the techniques that scientists use, and the technologies based on them. But the belief system that governs conventional scientific thinking is an act of faith, grounded in a nineteenth-century ideology.

This book is pro-science. I want the sciences to be less dogmatic and more scientific. I believe that the sciences will be regenerated when they are liberated from the dogmas that constrict them.

- R Sheldrake

The scientific creed
Here are the ten core beliefs that most scientists take for granted.

Everything is essentially mechanical. Dogs, for example, are complex mechanisms, rather than living organisms with goals of their own. Even people are machines, ‘lumbering robots’, in Richard Dawkins’s vivid phrase, with brains that are like genetically programmed computers.
All matter is unconscious. It has no inner life or subjectivity or point of view. Even human consciousness is an illusion produced by the material activities of brains.
The total amount of matter and energy is always the same (with the exception of the Big Bang, when all the matter and energy of the universe suddenly appeared).
The laws of nature are fixed. They are the same today as they were at the beginning, and they will stay the same for ever.
Nature is purposeless, and evolution has no goal or direction.
All biological inheritance is material, carried in the genetic material, DNA, and in other material structures.
Minds are inside heads and are nothing but the activities of brains. When you look at a tree, the image of the tree you are seeing is not ‘out there’, where it seems to be, but inside your brain.
Memories are stored as material traces in brains and are wiped out at death.
Unexplained phenomena like telepathy are illusory.
10. Mechanistic medicine is the only kind that really works.
Together, these beliefs make up the philosophy or ideology of materialism, whose central assumption is that everything is essentially material or physical, even minds. This belief-system became dominant within science in the late nineteenth century, and is now taken for granted. Many scientists are unaware that materialism is an assumption: they simply think of it as science, or the scientific view of reality, or the scientific worldview. They are not actually taught about it, or given a chance to discuss it. They absorb it by a kind of intellectual osmosis.

"Most of the liberal/progressives on this board do it constantly, and then pretend anyone not a believer in the dogma is a "conservative attacking science". That's what the OP is doing...attacking Americans as dumb for questioning "science". People are trying to undermine me for ever suggesting it happens, that should tell you something."

I gave two specific examples of people being truly stupid. It's not about "questioning science". To not believe the Earth is billions of years is stupid. It's totally irrational. To not believe that the Big Bang happened is not "questioning science". It's denying science.

Contemporary science is based on the claim that all reality is material or physical. There is no reality but material reality. Consciousness is a by-product of the physical activity of the brain. Matter is unconscious. Evolution is purposeless. God exists only as an idea in human minds, and hence in human heads.

These beliefs are powerful, not because most scientists think about them critically but because they don’t. The facts of science are real enough; so are the techniques that scientists use, and the technologies based on them. But the belief system that governs conventional scientific thinking is an act of faith, grounded in a nineteenth-century ideology.

This book is pro-science. I want the sciences to be less dogmatic and more scientific. I believe that the sciences will be regenerated when they are liberated from the dogmas that constrict them.

- R Sheldrake

is all of this a quote from sheldrake or is any of this, or the next post, an original thought of yours?

either way, i don't know why, but i'll respond

The first sentence is complete and utter sham, and quantum physics says a hearty "fuck you." And yes, science uses a realist/empiricist/materialist epistemology and methodology. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's dogmatic or rigid or "19th century." It's just the easiest way of communicating findings and doing research.

Like, I get his premise, but how do you free yourself from materialist dogma? It sounds fantastic, but it's like a deconstructionist saying "language is faulty and does a terrible job describing experience, words are futile devices." It's an argument that falls in upon itself because we don't have the vocabulary or vernacular to change.

And that we are (lectro and pour and this sheldrake character) parsing the very epistemology of the discipline instead of discussing empirical findings instead of addressing our nation's scientific illiteracy is telling of our war on science.

Last edited:
The scientific creed
Here are the ten core beliefs that most scientists take for granted.

Everything is essentially mechanical. Dogs, for example, are complex mechanisms, rather than living organisms with goals of their own. Even people are machines, ‘lumbering robots’, in Richard Dawkins’s vivid phrase, with brains that are like genetically programmed computers.
All matter is unconscious. It has no inner life or subjectivity or point of view. Even human consciousness is an illusion produced by the material activities of brains.
The total amount of matter and energy is always the same (with the exception of the Big Bang, when all the matter and energy of the universe suddenly appeared).
The laws of nature are fixed. They are the same today as they were at the beginning, and they will stay the same for ever.
Nature is purposeless, and evolution has no goal or direction.
All biological inheritance is material, carried in the genetic material, DNA, and in other material structures.
Minds are inside heads and are nothing but the activities of brains. When you look at a tree, the image of the tree you are seeing is not ‘out there’, where it seems to be, but inside your brain.
Memories are stored as material traces in brains and are wiped out at death.
Unexplained phenomena like telepathy are illusory.
10. Mechanistic medicine is the only kind that really works.
Together, these beliefs make up the philosophy or ideology of materialism, whose central assumption is that everything is essentially material or physical, even minds. This belief-system became dominant within science in the late nineteenth century, and is now taken for granted. Many scientists are unaware that materialism is an assumption: they simply think of it as science, or the scientific view of reality, or the scientific worldview. They are not actually taught about it, or given a chance to discuss it. They absorb it by a kind of intellectual osmosis.

jesus this is the most flowery prosaic meandering bullshit i've read in a long time, and ironically dogmatic in its own relativistic right

The other irony at play is, what exactly is lectro suggesting as an epistemology for science outside of rationalism? It's fine to call that a 19th Century ideology, but you're talking about reverting to an ontology that basically goes back to the middle ages if you don't buy into the basic pathos of science.

Mind-boggling stuff, but really revealing into lectro's whole climate denial dogma.

Townie- take a second. You're arguing with lectro. Lectro. On a nice Friday afternoon. It's 4:20 in about an hour.

Going to the beach in t-minus 90 minutes.

If only the material world were real, I bet I'd really enjoy some sand and brews...

Wait, what?

There was a heated discussion at the hot tub late one night at the conference. There are some dimes at my conferences. Maybe I'm missing the hit tub scene.

Back