• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Edward Snowden a Hero?

Hero?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...c064d32a4bf_story.html?utm_term=.01c38a67a9b9

AFP_IR938-HHFU.jpg

finally, an issue that crosses party lines

Yeah, I'm in between. I can't stand Manning and would like to bury Assange. But Snowden has integrity and believes he has done the honorable thing. And risked his liberty and is on the run because of it. That said, I still wish he hadn't done what he did, though he has certainly contributed mightily to the debate of how far the NSA can go.

Would be curious to see a Venn diagram of those who support Snowden on one side and those who support the release of Podesta and DNC emails on the other. Something tells me the overlapping area would be pretty small.

Yeah, I'm in between. I can't stand Manning and would like to bury Assange. But Snowden has integrity and believes he has done the honorable thing. And risked his liberty and is on the run because of it. That said, I still wish he hadn't done what he did, though he has certainly contributed mightily to the debate of how far the NSA can go.

Or maybe he just did it to make himself famous.

snowden a hero or traitor? the article is right, at little of both as they're hardly mutually exclusive. But if you're only a little of both that also means you're not either one.

Or maybe he just did it to make himself famous.

seems unlikely as he was so very aware of the consequences and the pervasiveness of the surveillance. Now, I'm sure he got a bit of a rush in the moment as it is some serious spy shit, but that's neither a motivation or something he can control. besides no amount of fame is worth never seeing your family or home again, and what's the point of fame if you have to live in a place ur not famous, living in secret, and have to have a 24/7 security detail like a head of state or royalty would? his actions suggest that he considered all this and much much more. oh and unlike manning with the massive document dump, snowden has said he took care about what was released to mitigate acute damage and maximize the potential for public discourse.

cville's response is TCR; he is no hero, but his actions seem consistent with the prevailing attitudes of the majority of founding fathers, consistent with the constitution and (def.) bill of rights, and his whistle blowing had to occur before we actually live in 1984--and we're absolutely trending that way. Beyond his actions, he didn't seem to want to judge what was going on so much as inform the public and open a debate.

We already live under a neo-fascist government (if anyone want's to dispute that feel free) that the public doesn't realize. As the "internet of things" continues to grow, and things like your hair dryer can be fairly easily manipulated into a surveillance device, issues over government oversight and what is legal or illegal, what sort of devices, interactions, communications are protected, what types of investigations need warrant's the standard of evidence for that warrant, as well as which courts and how much oversight and by whom...are all very important issues and the populace needs to be informed about what our government is doing so it can be held to account and informed choices can be made.

Last edited:
seems unlikely as he was so very aware of the consequences and the pervasiveness of the surveillance. Now, I'm sure he got a bit of a rush in the moment as it is some serious spy shit, but that's neither a motivation or something he can control. besides no amount of fame is worth never seeing your family or home again, and his actions suggest that he considered all this and much much more. oh and unlike manning with the massive document dump, snowden has said he took care about what was released to mitigate acute damage and maximize the potential for public discourse.

cville's response is TCR; he is no hero, but his actions seem consistent with the prevailing attitudes of the majority of founding fathers, consistent with the constitution and bill of rights, and his whistle blowing had to occur before we actually live in 1984--and we're absolutely trending that way. Beyond his actions, he didn't seem to want to judge what was going on so much as inform the public and open a debate.

We already live under a neo-fascist government (if anyone want's to dispute that feel free) that the public doesn't realize. As the "internet of things" continues to grow, and things like your hair dryer can be fairly easily manipulated into a surveillance device, issues over government oversight and what is legal or illegal, what sort of devices, interactions, communications are protected, what types of investigations need warrant's the standard of evidence for that warrant, as well as which courts and how much oversight and by whom...are all very important issues and the populace needs to be informed about what our government is doing so it can be held to account.

QFT

we have a tiger by the tail here folks and nobody knows how to control it

Yep. There's a case that the NPR shows seem fascinated by in which the main evidence against a murder suspect is a digital water meter that reported the exact time he used a huge amount of water. Investigators suspect that was when he disposed of the body. Without a digital meter, nobody would know when the water was used.

I haven't dug deep into this issue myself and I don't own such things. This issue cuts so many ways.

The real question you should ask yourself is: Do you think Snowden could have exposed the NSA as effectively in any other way?

Do his revelations ever see the light of day if he comes clean to a superior? The CIA? FBI? A member of Congress? Even if he takes those routes does the info ever see the light of day? Does he still end up in jail?

snowden a hero or traitor? the article is right, at little of both as they're hardly mutually exclusive. But if you're only a little of both that also means you're not either one.

seems unlikely as he was so very aware of the consequences and the pervasiveness of the surveillance. Now, I'm sure he got a bit of a rush in the moment as it is some serious spy shit, but that's neither a motivation or something he can control. besides no amount of fame is worth never seeing your family or home again, and what's the point of fame if you have to live in a place ur not famous, living in secret, and have to have a 24/7 security detail like a head of state or royalty would? his actions suggest that he considered all this and much much more. oh and unlike manning with the massive document dump, snowden has said he took care about what was released to mitigate acute damage and maximize the potential for public discourse.

cville's response is TCR; he is no hero, but his actions seem consistent with the prevailing attitudes of the majority of founding fathers, consistent with the constitution and (def.) bill of rights, and his whistle blowing had to occur before we actually live in 1984--and we're absolutely trending that way. Beyond his actions, he didn't seem to want to judge what was going on so much as inform the public and open a debate.

We already live under a neo-fascist government (if anyone want's to dispute that feel free) that the public doesn't realize. As the "internet of things" continues to grow, and things like your hair dryer can be fairly easily manipulated into a surveillance device, issues over government oversight and what is legal or illegal, what sort of devices, interactions, communications are protected, what types of investigations need warrant's the standard of evidence for that warrant, as well as which courts and how much oversight and by whom...are all very important issues and the populace needs to be informed about what our government is doing so it can be held to account and informed choices can be made.

Transmission current range or T cell receptor?

Would be curious to see a Venn diagram of those who support Snowden on one side and those who support the release of Podesta and DNC emails on the other. Something tells me the overlapping area would be pretty small.

I support both releases. I don't, however, support the manner or the timing of the DNC or Podesta releases. The manner and timing by which they were released was clearly intended to manipulate the General Election, and not intended to educate the public on how their political parties operate.

Back