• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Edward Snowden a Hero?

Hero?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What erudition!

yeah. you're definitely this guy:

17748-1

I support both releases. I don't, however, support the manner or the timing of the DNC or Podesta releases. The manner and timing by which they were released was clearly intended to manipulate the General Election, and not intended to educate the public on how their political parties operate.

TITCR

Would be curious to see a Venn diagram of those who support Snowden on one side and those who support the release of Podesta and DNC emails on the other. Something tells me the overlapping area would be pretty small.

I'd be in that overlapping area. Snowden is certainly in an interesting spot IMO. Wish he had not done what he did, but he also has made an enormous impact on public discourse about the limits of government, did so with firsthand knowledge and did so at an enormous personal cost. So he is sort of a hero. And I do think the public had the right to know about the corruption within the DNC even if the means by which that information was gained should have us all concerned.

I'd be in that overlapping area. Snowden is certainly in an interesting spot IMO. Wish he had not done what he did, but he also has made an enormous impact on public discourse about the limits of government, did so with firsthand knowledge and did so at an enormous personal cost. So he is sort of a hero. And I do think the public had the right to know about the corruption within the DNC even if the means by which that information was gained should have us all concerned.

So if someone had mugged Ms. Conway and stole her laptop and then turned her emails over to MSNBC, you think they should have published them?

Aren't you old enough to remember Watergate?

I suggest you watch Citizen Four.

I enjoyed the scene in Citizenfour where they just show Snowden working on his hair for 5 minutes prior to one of the reporter "discussions" on camera. The risk was worth the fame - if that passes for heroism these days we really are in trouble.

He seems to be taking the news well.

He seems to be taking the news well.

It says no such thing. It is just as likely to mean they have gotten all they could get out of him and are giving their puppet Trump a bone.

Not much of a bone really. I think Obama was ecstatic that Snowden made it to Russia so he wouldn't have to deal with him. Although Trump talks a big game as usual, he really should have no desire to try Snowden here. A conviction is not guaranteed. And if Snowden isn't helping the Russians, it's not much of a gift bone for Putin to throw to the Donald.

Snowden is helping the Russians although his use is probably tapped out at this point.

Not much of a bone really. I think Obama was ecstatic that Snowden made it to Russia so he wouldn't have to deal with him. Although Trump talks a big game as usual, he really should have no desire to try Snowden here. A conviction is not guaranteed. And if Snowden isn't helping the Russians, it's not much of a gift bone for Putin to throw to the Donald.

Why are you so certain there will be trial? He's probably going to Guantanamo.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah....BTW Thursday was the 53rd anniversary of the Beatles changing the world on Ed Sullivan.

Why are you so certain there will be trial? He's probably going to Guantanamo.

He's a US citizen, not a foreign combatant. He thus has legal rights that they didn't have, including speedy trial. Add to that he'd have a lot of free, volunteer counsel. A trial will be a yuge ordeal, and I don't think a guilty verdict is a complete given. And part of that would depend on where you tried him, and I frankly have no idea where that would be. Wasn't he located at the NSA facility outside of DC in MD? I don't do criminal law, but wouldn't the trial have to take place where the crime was committed? If so, that would likely draw jurors from Howard, PG and Montgomery counties - wouldn't be the govt's 1st choice.

He's a US citizen, not a foreign combatant. He thus has legal rights that they didn't have, including speedy trial. Add to that he'd have a lot of free, volunteer counsel. A trial will be a yuge ordeal, and I don't think a guilty verdict is a complete given. And part of that would depend on where you tried him, and I frankly have no idea where that would be. Wasn't he located at the NSA facility outside of DC in MD? I don't do criminal law, but wouldn't the trial have to take place where the crime was committed? If so, that would likely draw jurors from Howard, PG and Montgomery counties - wouldn't be the govt's 1st choice.

I believe the NSA facility is in Odenton, in Anne Arundel county, but, my point was, that I doubt a President Trump will try and play this by the rules, especially if there is a chance he won't win. He'll try and find some way to imprison Snowden without a trial, calling a National Security issue.

I believe the NSA facility is in Odenton, in Anne Arundel county, but, my point was, that I doubt a President Trump will try and play this by the rules, especially if there is a chance he won't win. He'll try and find some way to imprison Snowden without a trial, calling a National Security issue.

No prez since Lincoln has gotten away with something like that from what I can recall. If that's his tact, he will lose in the courts up to and including the SCOTUS. If his response is the same as Jackson's, then we'll have an interesting constitutional crisis.

No prez since Lincoln has gotten away with something like that from what I can recall. If that's his tact, he will lose in the courts up to and including the SCOTUS. If his response is the same as Jackson's, then we'll have an interesting constitutional crisis.

No doubt it will be a failing strategy, but Trump has exhibited very little respect for courts this far and I expect him to challenge their authority on many occasions/issues.

[BTW *if that is his tack (it is a sailing reference to either a port or starboard tack which determines the direction you can go with respect to the wind)]

Back