• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is it homophobic to call something gay?

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
I hadn't checked my rep in months and just looked and saw the following neg rep:
stop referring to things as gay.
It was left because near the end of the VP debate I felt the moderator was trying to manufacture some phony sentimentality and said things had gotten really gay. I try to avoid calling stuff "retarded". I remember someone on the old board saying they had a mentally disabled son and I realized how hurtful that must be to them to constantly hear negative shit referred to as being retarded. I guess calling something "gay" is equally insensitive? I can't think of a good reason why I should avoid calling something "retarded" but have no problem calling something "gay". I could have said the moderator was being "lame", though I guess that might be insulting to handicapped people.

Just childish. The intent is what matters.

Exactly. You're not in high school anymore. Come up with better words to describe stuff.

"gay" felt like an effective shorthand. But it was definitely insensitive. I can't think of a good justification for using it.

Yes, saying "gay" is O V E R. You cannot do it anymore, just like saying the R-word (retard). To me the R-word is almost as offensive as Cunt, etc.

Didn't Southpark do an episode about this (Harley drivers, I think).

Wait, so you think "gay" as a generic pejorative is better than "retarded?" WTF is wrong with you?

Like others I would say it's insensitive but not always homophobic. And also juvenile.

It is used so infrequently these days that it's kind of funny when someone drops it with a tone like they just couldn't think of anything else.

Wait, so you think "gay" as a generic pejorative is better than "retarded?" WTF is wrong with you?
I said,
I can't think of a good reason why I should avoid calling something "retarded" but have no problem calling something "gay".
I think both terms can be insensitive.

I've always sided with Louis CK on this issue. Calling someone "gay," or "retarded," or "faggot" are perfectly fine with me. If someone is acting like a fag you call them that. Like Townie said it depends on the intent, and most of the time these terms are used to rag on a buddy or something, or to describe some particularly idiotic situation, so I see no issue if used in that context. Meanings of words change, and I think in these post-homophobic times these word's meanings should be updated to reflect how most people use them. Only a fag would call a gay person a fag and mean it to harm said person.

It is used so infrequently these days that it's kind of funny when someone drops it with a tone like they just couldn't think of anything else.

At Lollapalooza this year, Frank Ocean, one week after coming out as bisexual, put on an awesome performance. He has a song about it called Bad Religion, and he gave an emotional intro, and sang it with a lot of intensity, near tears, much like his SNL performance. After it was over, the crowd was sorta shocked and awed at the performance, and wagondeac just deadpan turns and goes "GAY."

Back