• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Limbaugh Crazier Now?

meandmyuncleDeac

Reaction score
First of all, it has been years since I last had occasion to listen to him. (Thank God for satellite radio!) I recently decided to tune in his show just for fun. (I also have no life!) He was ranting and raving about the news media, its "liberal" bias, and generally how the media and its "bias" would spell doom for the country. He essentially said that none of us can think for ourselves, except of course those who listen to him.

I am convinced that the guy is either completely nuts, or perhaps, just a very clever entertainer. He just seemed nuttier than I remember from just a few years ago. Also, to hear him speak about Obama one might think he was describing Joe Stalin. Curious what you all might think.

He's brilliant at what he does. He throws in little one liners all the time so every story repeats the conservative gospel.

He provides a product that certain people want -- a safe haven for conspiracy nonsense, close-minded bigotry, and generalized conservative rage. Because, you know, it's all one big joke, so everything he says is okay. And the listener, laughing at it, by extension, also feels like it's okay.

Last edited:
Conors Friedersdorf at the Atlantic has some great blog posts about El Rushbo. His overriding point is that if the GOP really wants to get serious about getting any votes from blacks and Hispanics, one small step would be to stop treating Rush as a party superstar and giving him "Conservative of the Year" awards and so forth.

He is terrible and a great example of what is wrong with our country. Take him and his opposite counterparts out of the political picture and we would be a lot better off.

Conors Friedersdorf at the Atlantic has some great blog posts about El Rushbo. His overriding point is that if the GOP really wants to get serious about getting any votes from blacks and Hispanics, one small step would be to stop treating Rush as a party superstar and giving him "Conservative of the Year" awards and so forth.

I've only listened to an entire show once, but it was a doozy (during the week the Monica Lewinsky stuff came out). I got roped into traveling with a Rush fanatic who insisted on listening to Rush during a long drive. That was more than enough for me. Am still kinda shocked that anyone listens to him at all, especially after the Michael J Fox and Fluke episodes. Pisses me off when the "lamestream media" runs his latest outrageous clip, since they're complicit in promoting Rush and reinforcing stereotypes. If I want to listen to Rush, Palin, Hannity, I know exactly where to find them.

Wholeheartedly agree that Rush is a cancer to the GOP. He completely alienates moderates and independents, yet GOP candidates are terrified to tell him to STFU. You never hear from Glenn Beck anymore, and until the same thing happens with Rush, the GOP (and the country) are hurt by his nonsense.

He's terrific. He's a rock star. I mean that, the guy is damned good. I listen to keep one ear to the ground on what that fraction of the electorate is saying, but I find myself laughing and shaking my head at just how good this guy is at his job.

I used to applaud him for bringing the crackpot voice to the airwaves. I thought it would be good to let the dumbshit voice be heard so it could be recognized for being dumbshit and summarily drowned out by reason and intelligent discourse. But damn if it didn't take hold and spawn a whole legion of crackpot radio and TV and actually pull the national dialogue down with it somewhat.

Capitalism fucks some shit up knowwhatImsayin?

He is terrible and a great example of what is wrong with our country. Take him and his opposite counterparts out of the political picture and we would be a lot better off.

Who on the left is even close to Rush?

I love it even more when LK doesn't even bother to attempt false equivalencies.

Who on the left is even close to Rush?

No one. Liberal talk radio always fails (see Air America). It's because of the age demographic of radio listeners. The average age of conservatives, who are more likely to listen to radio, is much older than the average age of liberals. Time will change things.

I love it even more when LK doesn't even bother to attempt false equivalencies.

No one. Liberal talk radio always fails (see Air America). It's because of the age demographic of radio listeners. The average age of conservatives, who are more likely to listen to radio, is much older than the average age of liberals. Time will change things.

That's only a small part of the answer. Liberals listen to NPR. Liberals definitely watch TV and Hollywood is pretty much run by liberals. Yet there isn't anybody like Rush on the left. It's not just radio.

That's only a small part of the answer. Liberals listen to NPR. Liberals definitely watch TV and Hollywood is pretty much run by liberals. Yet there isn't anybody like Rush on the left. It's not just radio.

Liberals (and others) may listen, but NPR would not survive without donations and taxpayer support. Otherwise, NPR would suffer the same fare as Air America.

The model doesn't fit liberals. They're too wonky and soft and academic for rapid fire, cut-and-paste, out-of-context, fear-mongering cries of exasperation to fulfill their agenda. Liberals aren't drawn to sound-byte solutions. In the time it would take to explain our lengthy and group-thinked-to-death ideas, the listener changes the channel.

Shorty, you have a good point...I did feel that some explanation for listening to him was necessary!

Back