• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Obama a good leader?

Is Obama a good leader?

• Yes, unequivically

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • No, Uneqivically

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Yes, but he was dealt a bad hand

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • No, and he was dealt a bad hand

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • He couldn't lead RJ to a left wing website

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters

Sgt Hulka

Board Big Toe
Reaction score
Just curious, because I think that this will be the crux of the 2012 campaign.

No. I should've said unequivocally, but I said he was dealt a bad hand. I find that he seems to retreat and let Congress sort things out when things get tough. Honestly, I get the same vibe from him as I did from GHW Bush, which is that he's really tired of being President and doesn't really want it anymore.

He is smart and correct on the issues he decides to throw himself into, and avoids other political minefields - rightly so. He tries too hard to appeal to everyone's logical and intellectual side, and their conscience - and somehow that translates into weak leadership to a lot of folks, and maybe they are right. I guess history will be the judge of that.

But he was certainly dealt probably the worst hand of any president in a long time. His situation is quite unique. But I'd rather have a smart and conscientious pres right now than a radical or a cowboy. those wars are a real problem financially at the worst time financially for us to be paying so much for so little....

To me a good leader does not let others make the hard decisions or take the hard actions. IMO that is what he has done time and time again. From "stimulus" to health care to the wars to the Bush tax cuts to the latest debt deal he has consistently not taken a stand of his own on the hard issues, he has defaulted to others. I agree he is a very smart man with good intentions...unfortunately I have not seen much leadership.

The same people who say he's a good leader are as delusional as the people who claim he isn't smart.

To me a good leader does not let others make the hard decisions or take the hard actions. IMO that is what he has done time and time again. From "stimulus" to health care to the wars to the Bush tax cuts to the latest debt deal he has consistently not taken a stand of his own on the hard issues, he has defaulted to others. I agree he is a very smart man with good intentions...unfortunately I have not seen much leadership.

Small wonder when we define "presidential" in a campaign as who can more thoroughly avoid answering questions.

I think he's alright as a leader, but he's the President in what is probably the most divisive period Congress has seen in my lifetime. The Tea Party will be the downfall of everyone, including Obama AND the Republican party.

ETA: Ok, saying they will be the downfall of everyone might be a little over the top. My point is it's virtually impossible to get much of anything accomplished in such a partisan environment.

I think he's alright as a leader, but he's the President in what is probably the most divisive period Congress has seen in my lifetime. The Tea Party will be the downfall of everyone, including Obama AND the Republican party.

ETA: Ok, saying they will be the downfall of everyone might be a little over the top. My point is it's virtually impossible to get much of anything accomplished in such a partisan environment.

I don't buy that. Is it hard and toxic? Sure, but it is no more partisan than it was when Newt and company took over Congress in 94 and Clinton and that Congress got he hell of a lot done.

The same people who say he's a good leader are as delusional as the people who claim he isn't smart.

What he has been is a rational leader. You guys keep forgetting he's not going to get anything from the Senate.

McConnell has kept his promse to stop everything.

This year he's had even less chance due to the TP takeover of the House. Boehner can't act rationally without losing his Speakership.

Part of being a leader is getting at least something done.

What he has been is a rational leader. You guys keep forgetting he's not going to get anything from the Senate.

McConnell has kept his promse to stop everything.

This year he's had even less chance due to the TP takeover of the House. Boehner can't act rationally without losing his Speakership.

Part of being a leader is getting at least something done.

This is correct. Pair that with unforeseen financial gridlock and two cumbersome foreign wars. Dude has pretty much every card stacked against him. Sounds so excuse-y, I know. But damn, show me the historical precedent.

Even the tiniest morsel of cooperation from moderate conservatives would buoy his presidency tremendously. I can't think of a single even remotely powerful ally across the isle for this president.

This is correct. Pair that with unforeseen financial gridlock and two cumbersome foreign wars. Dude has pretty much every card stacked against him. Sounds so excuse-y, I know. But damn, show me the historical precedent.

Even the tiniest morsel of cooperation from moderate conservatives would buoy his presidency tremendously. I can't think of a single even remotely powerful ally across the isle for this president.

Even if true doesn't he own that too? Part of being a leader is bringing along allies. For his first 2 years he did not need to bring along many (if any) Pubs.

Even if true doesn't he own that too? Part of being a leader is bringing along allies. For his first 2 years he did not need to bring along many (if any) Pubs.

Absolutely WRONG!! Scott Brown was there for about a year.

absolutely true. Nor has he forged powerful alliances on the left, esp for a pres with that level of popularity within his own party. that's why I didn't cast a vote in your poll. I have no idea if he will turn out to be a terrific leader because of it, or in spite of it. Even with his majority the congressional leadership he had to deal with there was weak and couldn't reign in the blue dogs worth a shit - castrating the kind of big change Obama wanted and promised. So yeah, in that regard he's a weak leader. But IMO Obama is correct on the issues, can master a large audience and capture the imagination of a large crowd, but you're right - can't muster the kind of support he needs on the Hill to do much with such a shitty hand. Illustrates that Clinton's run was a cakewalk.

Back