• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is [Redacted] (the person not the coach) a Jackass?

Is [Redacted] (the person not the coach) a Jackass?

• YES

Votes: 66 77.6%
  • NO

Votes: 19 22.4%

• Total voters
I feel no need to be mature or to take the high road when discussing Buzzy. I hate him. I hate him. I hate him.

For a man who presumably takes confessions, quite the naive statement.

Quite the contrary actually. What is naive is to think that you are qualified to judge the character of a person that you know next to nothing about. Any of us can be made to look like a villain by coming up with a list of our faults and moments of anger/frustration. No one is a saint, but that doesn't make them irredeemable (not using religious language here). Sure, he's not a good basketball coach, we have a preponderance of evidence to support that claim; but not so much so for him as a person.

Quite the contrary actually. What is naive is to think that you are qualified to judge the character of a person that you know next to nothing about. Any of us can be made to look like a villain by coming up with a list of our faults and moments of anger/frustration. No one is a saint, but that doesn't make them irredeemable (not using religious language here). Sure, he's not a good basketball coach, we have a preponderance of evidence to support that claim; but not so much so for him as a person.

I gotta agree w the reverend here. Sorry Moonie.

um, you need to take a look at another thread on here then

Perhaps a better question might be, "based on the known public interactions between Bz and the media & fans, do you think he's a jackass?"

I agree with the bold, but that doesn't make Buzz suck any less. The article has curiously gone missing from the interwebs, but here's a mention of the incident in question:

from other thread

After years of mediocrity, Colorado hoops fans are ecstatic about the arrival of former Air Force and Denver Nuggets coach Jeff [Redacted]. Unfortunately, some of [Redacted]'s early moves have rubbed people the wrong way. On Tuesday, the school issued a release saying sophomore guard Kelvin Bay -- who averaged 6.3 points, 1.9 assists and 1.3 rebounds per game as a freshman -- will not return to the team next season. The following day, the Rocky Mountain News reported that Bay and three other freshman (Marc Van Burck, Sean Kowal and James Inge) were not leaving on their own accord. Instead, the paper reported, [Redacted] told the players their scholarships wouldn't be renewed.

Bay, who was still on the Boulder campus, got booted from his dorm room last Friday because the school's "May-mester" ended on May 31 and he was forced to stay with a couple friends on the women's team. Inge, who is in good academic standing and played in 15 games last season -- is going through the appeals process and told the paper, "My scholarship was taken unjustly, then it comes out that I chose to leave, which is totally untrue."

We feel for Inge. He made a commitment to attend Colorado for four years and the school made a commitment back to him. He held up his end of the deal and shouldn't be punished by a new coach. While we know [Redacted] wants to put the best possible team on the floor, he shouldn't do it at the expense of a young man's future, especially one who did everything asked of him. Coaches can come and go at will and the players must stay put or risk having to sit out a year if they transfer. Now, we're learning that players are being viewed as disposable commodities. That just isn't right.

I think he is incompetent when it comes to being a college basketball coach. That doesn't make him a jackass.

One of his biggest problems is he refuses to understand the difference between coaching in the pros and in college. In the NBA, it's their job and you cna handle the players much rougher. He doesn't get (or doesn't care) that you don't hammer college kids in the same way.
I agree with that...a rarity. :).

IMO not grasping the difference makes him a jackass as a coach because it leads to crap like what happened in Colorado and what we've seen, although I bet he got assurances from the AD there to that. That flaw doesn't make him a jackass as a person though. I think that fine line is why Dan wrote the recent article the way he did....about getting called out but then hit on the head with a foam hammer (haha). The nice guy as a person kept it basically non-confrontation. The jackassness was getting called out in the first place, in front of the team.

I think he is incompetent when it comes to being a college basketball coach. That doesn't make him a jackass.

Of course not. It's all the jackass things he does while not on the basketball court that makes him a jackass.

there are enough people that have had negative interactions with him. There are enough reports of his actions (how he treated the kids he cut at colorado and lied to the media about it), lied directly to air force cadets faces, blames college kids - never himself - for things going wrong, takes credit when things go well, take credit due to other people the list could go on). There is plenty of evidence that says he is a jack ass. no one said "irredeemable." everyone can change their ways. but at this late stage in his life, and with everything we have seen of his behavior, i think it's safe to say he is not the best guy you know. and while no one is perfect and he is under an extreme microscope he could have really changed a lot of this perception had he come across as remotely likeable.

All I'm saying is that it's really easy to find evidence to support your conclusion when you don't rely on primary resources (lots of "he/she said" being thrown around). I guess the point is this - why do we need to be the jury of his morality/character? Does he have character flaws? Probably. But if he was winning, we'd ignore those. But the program is in the toilet, so it seems the criticism should be there.

All I'm saying is that it's really easy to find evidence to support your conclusion when you don't rely on primary resources (lots of "he/she said" being thrown around). I guess the point is this - why do we need to be the jury of his morality/character? Does he have character flaws? Probably. But if he was winning, we'd ignore those. But the program is in the toilet, so it seems the criticism should be there.

it's all about culture. he and wellman spout the word non stop to cover for the poor job they were doing on the court. while they are doing that they are leaking information about college kids mistakes, they are blaming players, taking no accountability, allowing kids that have made serious mistakes to stick around the program if they just might help them win, and talking about former players and coach as if they hold some moral superiority over them and all of us because "we've never built anything."

i get that you are willing to see the best in a person and not condemn them when you don't know them personally. it's certainly the high road to take. but at the end of the day there is a mountain of evidence that points to jeff [Redacted] being a jackass on a regular basis. that does not make him evil. it just makes him a jerk.

The only reason this is even an issue to people is because [Redacted] is a bad basketball coach. If Wake was winning a lot of basketball games, no one would really care if he was a jackass. Boeheim and K are the best two coaches in the conference and are enormous jackasses. Most people here would love to hire Gregg Marshall and by all accounts is a jackass. IMO whether he is or isn't a jackass is completely irrelevant in my perception of him. The fact that he is a miserable failure at being a head coach is all that really matters to me.

Is there a link to the Air Force cadet story?

Last edited:
The only reason this is even an issue to people is because [Redacted] is a bad basketball coach. If Wake was winning a lot of basketball games, no one would really care if he was a jackass. Boeheim and K are the best two coaches in the conference and are enormous jackasses. Most people here would love to hire Gregg Marshall and by all accounts is a jackass. IMO whether he is or isn't a jackass is completely irrelevant in my perception of him. The fact that he is a miserable failure at being a head coach is all that really matters to me.

Exactly. I doubt the Dook boards talk about whether or not K is a jackass or not. Plus, what does a thread about whether or not someone is a jackass say about those participating in said thread?

It's not that I'm about taking the high road, there are a lot of people that I think are jackasses, but I'm going to keep that to myself, unless I have enough real evidence to back it up. The issue is that people hate Bzz, and I get that, I'm one of them. Can't wait for that clown to be done as our coach. But I'm not going to let the fact that he's incompetent in his job (which surely he realizes, and perhaps compensates for by acting like a jackass) fool me into thinking that I know the man, or have a right to judge him based on what little I know about him.

Back