• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is the growth of practice fields good for MSD?

Are they turning the intramural field between Babcock and Palmer/Pic into parking or something? I drove by it the other day and it looked like it was in the process of being paved.

the Water Tower fields are getting field turf

The author is my neighbor and a solid guy.

The author is my neighbor and a solid guy.

Well in this case it seems as if he's whining about something that's not an issue... or he's just misinformed.

oh sweet, didn't realize they were getting field turf. i drove by the other day and got a little misty thinking they were turning it into parking. sorry for the false alarm.

yeah when I saw them all ripped up last month I was sad too, thinking they were covering up more green space with buildings.

oh sweet, didn't realize they were getting field turf. i drove by the other day and got a little misty thinking they were turning it into parking. sorry for the false alarm.

Yea. The downside is that it looks like they will be less open outside of programmed usage. New fencing is going up along the sidewalk across from the Worrell Center.

So, do we know if the trail is going to be shortened or removed? The trail might be my favorite part of campus.

So, do we know if the trail is going to be shortened or removed? The trail might be my favorite part of campus.

Like I said above, I can't imagine that much of it will be affected at all. It looks like it might clip that corner/edge around the throwing area, but that's not a significant portion of the trail is it?

Am I way off base on this? It looks to me like the majority of the CC trials are quite far away from the new indoor center, but I've never used them.

24objoz.jpg

I guess the only question is whether the affected golf facility will be replaced or not. I know there's the newer facility that doesn't show up here, but maybe the plan is to truncate the trail a bit to replace the space golf is losing? I don't remember what the elevation in that area is like in detail, but I do remember there being a hill. Maybe some of the trail will be lost to account for the required grading on the back side of the building? Regardless, even if the entire "loop" around the discus facility is lose, it's not nearly the tragedy the author makes it out to be. There's enough open space that we could easily add in some additional mileage to the trail to replace anything lost if needed.

Looks like we lost more trail to the Barn (or whatever it's called) than we will to this practice facility. And it looks like there's plenty of open space to add some more trail. Speaking of the Barn, why the hell did they stick it out in the middle of so much open space by itself?

21c8d9i.png

Racer, I don't think the Barn really changed a ton with the trail, just required a quick re-route over that road there at that one section. I'm guessing the goal was to isolate it from the rest of the campus for events/music/etc. I did go to a pretty loud show there once that probably wouldn't have been possible closer to main campus.

How is it possible to not know these existed?

I had no idea.

Couldn't we have just torn down the coliseum annex and put a facility over there? Campus is getting pretty cramped. I don't really give a shit about the trails, though.

I had no idea those trails existed. And I was a runner in college - probably ran 3-4 days per week around campus. Now I'm really curious what I missed for four years.

Back