• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is There Any Doubt Okla St Will Be #2?

BradEdwards_BCS Brad Edwards
If every voter who had OKST at 4, 5 or 6 would've put them at 3 instead, final BCS avg would be Bama .942, OKST .938

Right, and even if Oklahoma State swept the computer rankings, Alabama still would have made it, though the margin would have been ridiculously close.

Hopefully we get a 4 team playoff soon. LSU/Stanford & Alabama/OSU would have been awesome this year.

Alabama only had 3 wins over FBS teams with winning records.

The only thing I don't like about is all the BCS proponents talking about how the season is the playoff. If they want to use this argument then when Bama lost to LSU at home, Bama should've been eliminated. The regular season is important, but it's not a playoff as some would suggest. A system where a team can get a rematch against a team that already beat them is not a playoff.

And Iowa State eliminated Okie State.

Put it this way, take ANY team on Okie State's schedule. Replace LSU on Bama's schedule with that team. Who beats Bama? Answer - NO ONE.

The rematch is the right call.

A real playoff is the even better call.

Someone needs to come up with a plan where all revenues remain intact (or are increased) and everyone gets their same piece (or a bigger piece) of the pie. I think a playoff would definitely generate more revenue, it just needs to get spread around to all interested parties (aka the parties who are now holding us back from having a playoff).

EDITED to add I don't think Alabama would have beaten Oklahoma depending on when they played. And KState could definitely score some points on Bama. If that matchup was in Manhattan I think it would be a close game.

Put it this way, take ANY team on Okie State's schedule. Replace LSU on Bama's schedule with that team. Who beats Bama? Answer - NO ONE.

That's speculative.

I just would like a MNC with a QB participating. That would be nice to see.

That's true. What will be funny is if Bama beats LSU by a field goal, maybe even in overtime?

But the SEC is the best conference top to bottom, so that can't be correct. The SEC Network said so.

You can argue SEC network all you want, but LSU beat everyone with a ridiculous OOC schedule as well. Also you cant argue the the last five BCS champs have come from the SEC against the "best of the rest."

Basically.

Everybody saying "Alabama had their shot!" ignores that Oklahoma State had their shot. Keep a 24-7 second half lead against a 29-point underdog and you're playing for the national championship. It's not like Alabama was leaping over teams that were winning out. Teams ahead of them lost after they did. That's the way college football has always been. You lose, you fall. The later you lose, the harder it is to get back to the top. People act like this is some amazingly new idea.

That is essentially my argument, and I think the voters argument. Obviously there will be bias because Alabama is in the SEC and has historically been a more nationally relevant program than OSU, but they ran every team off the field that they played outside of LSU. Not a big fan of transitive property nonsense, but you can see how good LSU is with every other team they've played.

OSU lost to Iowa State and had last second wins against Kansas State/A&M. I think you can certainly make an argument off of OSU's profile that they deserved it, and, if the voters had gone that way, I don't think Alabama had a right to complain. But subjectively, I think Alabama goes undefeated with OSU's schedule, and I'm guessing the voters that had Alabama at 2 thought the same thing.

You can argue SEC network all you want, but LSU beat everyone with a ridiculous OOC schedule as well. Also you cant argue the the last five BCS champs have come from the SEC against the "best of the rest."

No doubt. LSU is the best team in the country. They won the MNC in Tuscaloosa already. I just don't see how Alabama winning means they should be champs?

What was Ole Miss's record when they beat Florida and triggered "the Speech"

No doubt. LSU is the best team in the country. They won the MNC in Tuscaloosa already. I just don't see how Alabama winning means they should be champs?

This doesn't really make sense, since again, its saying a loss to Iowa State is better than LSU (implying OK State would have deserved to be national champs, ignoring their loss to ISU, but Alabama wouldn't, since they lost to LSU instead of ISU? Can't see how that logic doesn't fall apart on its face).

Plus no team has ever split the championship by not winning their bowl game. I think if Alabama squeaks out a win you'll have some split in the AP, but I don't think it will end up being enough to actually literally award LSU the AP championship as well.

This doesn't really make sense, since again, its saying a loss to Iowa State is better than LSU (implying OK State would have deserved to be national champs, ignoring their loss to ISU, but Alabama wouldn't, since they lost to LSU instead of ISU? Can't see how that logic doesn't fall apart on its face).

Plus no team has ever split the championship by not winning their bowl game. I think if Alabama squeaks out a win you'll have some split in the AP, but I don't think it will end up being enough to actually literally award LSU the AP championship as well.

I'm talking about wins. LSU's resume is stinky good. If Alabama beats them on a neutral site after losing to them at home, can we definitively say they are the best team? Isn't that what we are trying to find right now?

I'm talking about wins. LSU's resume is stinky good. If Alabama beats them on a neutral site after losing to them at home, can we definitively say they are the best team? Isn't that what we are trying to find right now?[/QUOTE]

No, it just means Bama picked the best one of the 2 game series to win.

Probably depends on margin of victory. If Alabama wins by 7+ I think you won't see much of a split. If the roles are reversed and Bama wins 9-6 in OT I suspect you'll have more than a few AP voters saying the same thing.

Anyone trying to use this year's events to prop up a large playoff is just a shill who would take literally anything to say "we need a playoff!" The reality is this season shows the opposite.

We already have a playoff. It's a two game playoff. And it's unfair -- unfair to LSU, who should already be the national champion after putting up the greatest season in recent memory. In the playoff we currently have, they have to beat Alabama again in a single-elimination format they could easily lose. If we had more teams in the playoff, it would be even worse for LSU.

In a four team playoff others have suggested, LSU woud only have about as 35% chance, at most, of taking home the national title -- if that's not unfair, I don't know what is. And if we had an 8 or 16 team playoff? It would be even more unfair.

Back