• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is There Any Doubt Okla St Will Be #2?

No doubt. LSU is the best team in the country. They won the MNC in Tuscaloosa already. I just don't see how Alabama winning means they should be champs?

What was Ole Miss's record when they beat Florida and triggered "the Speech"

Florida beat the number one team in the nation at the end of the regular season, they deserved to go.

Alabama only had 3 wins over FBS teams with winning records.

Stupid, misleading stat. Bama beat three 6-6 (MSU, Vandy, Florida) and 5-7 Tennessee in addition to beating Penn St, Arkansas, and Auburn. Are Ok St's wins over Tulsa, 7-5 Missouri, and 7-5 Texas really that much more impressive?

Anyone trying to use this year's events to prop up a large playoff is just a shill who would take literally anything to say "we need a playoff!" The reality is this season shows the opposite.

We already have a playoff. It's a two game playoff. And it's unfair -- unfair to LSU, who should already be the national champion after putting up the greatest season in recent memory. In the playoff we currently have, they have to beat Alabama again in a single-elimination format they could easily lose. If we had more teams in the playoff, it would be even worse for LSU.

In a four team playoff others have suggested, LSU woud only have about as 35% chance, at most, of taking home the national title -- if that's not unfair, I don't know what is. And if we had an 8 or 16 team playoff? It would be even more unfair.

Pretty sure you could make that argument with any sport, but it hasn't stopped them.

Why not just give GB the Super Bowl now?

Anyone trying to use this year's events to prop up a large playoff is just a shill who would take literally anything to say "we need a playoff!" The reality is this season shows the opposite.

We already have a playoff. It's a two game playoff. And it's unfair -- unfair to LSU, who should already be the national champion after putting up the greatest season in recent memory. In the playoff we currently have, they have to beat Alabama again in a single-elimination format they could easily lose. If we had more teams in the playoff, it would be even worse for LSU.

In a four team playoff others have suggested, LSU woud only have about as 35% chance, at most, of taking home the national title -- if that's not unfair, I don't know what is. And if we had an 8 or 16 team playoff? It would be even more unfair.

So based on that logic if the Green Bay Packers go undefeated they should just scrap the playoffs and crown them Super Bowl Champs???

Alabama only had 3 wins over FBS teams with winning records.

Sure, and they also beat two teams who are bowl bound that lost to both LSU and Alabama. I tend to think Florida and MSU might end up with winning records save for the fact they have to play two complete juggernaut teams.

Auburn, Arkansas, Penn State. And two of those were on the road. Never mind they also beat two other bowl teams.

@Florida
@Auburn
@Penn State
Mississippi State
LSU
Arkansas

I'm finding it pretty hard to take fault with that schedule.

OSU played a nice schedule too.

Pretty sure you could make that argument with any sport, but it hasn't stopped them.

Why not just give GB the Super Bowl now?

Well, the season isn't over.

Every other sport started without a playoff. Then they added a single playoff game. They made a ton of money off said playoff game, so they added more playoff game. Rinse and repeat. Now most every sport has large playoffs (that would be illogical in any other aspect of life) solely designed by the selfish commissioners to make money -- while somehow simultaneously tricking fans that these large playoffs were just fair ways to determine a champion.

But yeah, Clemson and Wisconsin really need a shot on the field to beat LSU or we'll never know! Unless they lose to someone in the single-elimination tourney, then we will know! But that logic only applies when it happens in a single-elimination postseason tournament, not during the 12 game regular season.

Last edited:
Someone needs to come up with a plan where all revenues remain intact (or are increased) and everyone gets their same piece (or a bigger piece) of the pie. I think a playoff would definitely generate more revenue, it just needs to get spread around to all interested parties (aka the parties who are now holding us back from having a playoff).

EDITED to add I don't think Alabama would have beaten Oklahoma depending on when they played. And KState could definitely score some points on Bama. If that matchup was in Manhattan I think it would be a close game.

Um, yeah, sure. Alabama wouldn't have beaten Oklahoma without Broyles and their starting tailback - which is exactly when Okie State played them.

And no, KState would not have come remotely close against Bama nor would they have stopped the run against Bama. That is a joke.

I'm talking about wins. LSU's resume is stinky good. If Alabama beats them on a neutral site after losing to them at home, can we definitively say they are the best team? Isn't that what we are trying to find right now?

No, you can never say definitively that any team is the best team in any year. That's not what it's about. It's about crowning a champion. The two teams with the best seasons play in the game and the winner of that game is crowned champion. Simple as that.

Arguments against a playoff are silly. Literally ever other sport has one, including all other divisions of college football.

Which is a reason why FBS college football is the best sport with the most compelling and meaningful regular season.

But the EPL doesn't use a playoff, nor does golf (for the most part) or many olympic sports.

No, you can never say definitively that any team is the best team in any year. That's not what it's about. It's about crowning a champion. The two teams with the best seasons play in the game and the winner of that game is crowned champion. Simple as that.

But the premise we just went through is about "finding the two best teams" which is flawed. The BCS is just silly and it makes people crazy.

Which is a reason why FBS college football is the best sport with the most compelling and meaningful regular season.

But the EPL doesn't use a playoff, nor does golf (for the most part) or many olympic sports.

Except the NFL is way better right now, and top to bottom it's regular season has significantly more meaning. Regular season in college FB is probably only meaningful for about 10% of its teams (and that is really generous). That would equate to 3-4 NFL teams.

Playoff's aren't meant to find the team that was the best throughout the season. No way UConn basketball had a better season last year than everyone else, but they were better when it counted. The 64 teams with the best seasons make the NCAA tournament, but the one with that performs the best (and/or is the luckiest) in the tournament wins the big prize (and we all know that that isn't a high seed).

Frankly, it's all about compelling entertainment, and I think a 4 or 8 team tournament wouldn't make the regular season any less compelling but would make the post season much more compelling.

Yeah, the regular season game between Bama and LSU was so meaningful, Bama was better off losing it. Didn't have to play an extra game they could possibly lose and didn't have to play an extra game where they could risk injuries. That argument always makes so much sense, because nobody cares about the NFL's regular season.:rulz:

This BCS shit makes me laugh everytime at the beginning of the season, someone says "God, I missed College Football there is nothing like it.."

There really is nothing as bad as it. College Basketball is 20000000x better...College Football is worse than the NBA at this point.

The best thing about this thread is discovering how think skinned Alabama fans are.

Yeah, the regular season game between Bama and LSU was so meaningful, Bama was better off losing it. Didn't have to play an extra game they could possibly lose and didn't have to play an extra game where they could risk injuries. That argument always makes so much sense, because nobody cares about the NFL's regular season.:rulz:

That game became relatively important (in hindsight) because of the playoff! You have just inadvertently argued against your own point.

The NFL was saved by fantasy football.

Back