• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is upward mobility possible anymore?

RicoSuave

Reaction score
This is something I've been thinking about recently, especially as a parent trying to raise my children to hopefully succeed in every aspect of life. Having been raised in the 60s and 70s gives me a little more insight than some of you younger posters, but some of you might have more insight into certain aspects of growing up more recently.

For kids in poverty, is financial success a reasonably attainable goal anymore?

For kids raised in the 60s and 70s, being "poor" brought certain life skills that rich kids were denied. It started when they were born and drank "mother's milk" rather than the financially unattainable baby formula. Poor kids were raised on healthy diets of inexpensive vegetables, many of which their own families grew, and less snack food which their families couldn't afford. Poor kids were more likely to eat the dietician-approved meals served at school. They didn't have 50 channels to choose from on cable TV so they were more likely to watch PBS educational programming, or walk to the library and check out a book. They couldn't afford video games so they participated in outdoor activities and sports. As teenagers, they got business experience mowing lawns, chopping wood, shoveling snow, etc. The consumption of expensive alcoholic beverages wasn't a part of their family life unless a parent had a cultural or genetic disposition to alcoholism, and everybody in the neighborhood knew who those people were. If they were sick they would take an aspirin and sleep it off (unless they were vomiting blood or suffering from a broken bone), rather than going to expensive doctors to be medicated.

As a result, kids from poor families during that time seemed to enter adulthood stronger, healthier, more skilled and more disciplined than kids from rich families. Rich kids were given certain advantages due to what they inherited, but it was not unusual for them to be overtaken by the superior poor kids in the working world.

Does poverty carry with it the same "advantages" today? Or were my experiences (and those of many of my friends) growing up poor unusual for the time?

That might the new boards record for most generalizations in one post.

tl;dr

I did laugh when I saw boogity's name next to the thread title. So there's that.

Good God the board cannot handle a boogity and Stratt thread in one day

That might the new boards record for most generalizations in one post.

Generalizations? Thats why I was asked the Board's opinion on my theory. Having grown up "poor", I know these factors applied to me and my childhood friends and was wondering if they applied across the board in the 60s and 70s. I was also wondering which of these factors still apply today.

And the information about mother's milk and fresh vegetables going from being a "poor thing" to a "rich thing" in the course of 1 generation came from an article I read in the New Yorker.

I think boogity has come full circle, first converting goths, then becoming all sensitive and emo himself. It's beautiful.

I wasn't raised in a 'poor' household by any standard and all of those things apply to me in terms of the way I was raised... so what's your point?

I wasn't raised in a 'poor' household by any standard and all of those things apply to me in terms of the way I was raised... so what's your point?

Really? You never had cable TV or video games? You had to mow grass and chop wood for your rich neighbors?

I think you were either poor, or you're Asian.

Back