• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is upward mobility possible anymore?

Really? You never had cable TV or video games? You had to mow grass and chop wood for your rich neighbors?

I think you were either poor, or you're Asian.

Boogity I really can't handle you after the Strattons today, I just can't. Go listen to One of these Nights all the way through buddy

Really? You never had cable TV or video games? You had to mow grass and chop wood for your rich neighbors?

I think you were either poor, or you're Asian.

we had basic cable and a nintendo, but we were limited to an hour a day and then had to go play outside or do something else inside.
Yes, we had to mow our own grass, chopped our own firewood, cleaned the house and picked up after ourselves, offered our services to the neighbors, and I babysat from the time I was 12 all through high school to make my own spending money, in addition to holding a job at the grocery store.

Your premise is ridiculous and everything you mentioned has less to do with money than it does the values parents decide to instill in their kids.

we had basic cable and a nintendo, but we were limited to an hour a day and then had to go play outside or do something else inside.
Yes, we had to mow our own grass, chopped our own firewood, cleaned the house and picked up after ourselves, offered our services to the neighbors, and I babysat from the time I was 12 all through high school to make my own spending money, in addition to holding a job at the grocery store.

Your premise is ridiculous and everything you mentioned has less to do with money than it does the values parents decide to instill in their kids.

What you're saying is that your parents instilled discipline. Thats great. But they wouldn't have had to do that if you had been poor, it would've been a way of life.

Boogity, need you to snap out of your emo funk and take control of the BILLBOARD effort from the Strattons. You are the right man for the job and we all believe in you.

What you're saying is that your parents instilled discipline. Thats great. But they wouldn't have had to do that if you had been poor, it would've been a way of life.

I don't even know how to respond to this.

Boogity, need you to snap out of your emo funk and take control of the BILLBOARD effort from the Strattons. You are the right man for the job and we all believe in you.

Agreed. We need a go getter who has been a product of upward mobile success, not someone who wasn't even breastfed or given vegetables, like the Strattons.

Brilliant idea. Time to answer the call, BOOGITY.

I didn't grow up poor and I still chopped wood, did all the landscaping and stuff.

There was one time that I was able to get a job through my dad's connections... With the construction company building their house. I dug all the footers for our porches in the hot virginia sun before football practice in August.

It pains me to say this, but I believe that Boogity may be less intelligent than the Strattons.

that is the most ridiculous thing i think i've ever read on these boards.

We lost our beach house in a fire a few years ago . We ended up buying a bigger, better one after, but those two summers without a beach house were reeeeeeal tough. #firstworldproblems

r98BJOt.gif

If I was required to decide on a #WellmanOut billboard, I'd probably just authorize a billboard that says "Wake fans are disappointed in the recent performance of their basketball program". I don't think thats exactly what you guys are looking for.

I never had cable TV or video games until college, graduated HS in 1999.

It's too bad this is a boogity thread because it's an interesting question, but every single reason he gave after the initial premise is absurd.

i know a lot of poor people who chop wood and mow lawns and their kids turned out to be fucking idiots.

It's too bad this is a boogity thread because it's an interesting question, but every single reason he gave after the initial premise is absurd.

This was exactly my thought. I was definitely interested in discussing upward mobility with regards to the economy, jobs, education, and motivations of the different generations but then Boogity had to just word vomit all over the first post.

Back