• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Wake Forest worth the money?

Davidson is certainly comparable in terms of academics, and how hard they work their students, and they are a good 6k less a year at $49,723.

Agreed, comparable. I think Wake carries more national recognition (Davidson isn't even ranked in the regular US News rankings, right?)

...ETA that I think the 6k is arguably worth it for the addition of ACC sports alone.

Depends on the job you get afterwards. Paying back Wake's student loans sucks, and not just for a little bit, but for years and years to come.

Davidson is certainly comparable in terms of academics, and how hard they work their students, and they are a good 6k less a year at $49,723.

Back in the day, Davidson was outside of my range of options because it was something like $3k more per year than WFU. Today, WFU is too expensive to be a rational choice for most middle and upper-middle class families, especially if they have more than one kid.

To answer the question. For me, yes the education was worth the price. Totally changed me as a student and helped define what I wanted to do with my career. I doubt without my experience at Wake I would have been inspired to pursue my current career.

That said, I was fortunate that my parents were able to foot the (large) bill for Wake. I'm not sure I would be saying it was worth it if I had graduated with debt, especially since I will be taking on debt to further my education.

As previously stated, 'it depends'.

If your kid is going to talk their way into their first job (and their subsequent career), the question becomes: what state school options do they have?

if you arent a resident of georgia (ga tech), nc (unc), virginia (uva, maybe william+mary), california (berkley, ucla, maybe uc-san diego or uc-davis), or michigan (michigan) and your kid is actually smart (which is probably a big if) but not ivy league or stanford smart, why wouldnt you pay the extra cash to send them to a solid private school?

if you arent a resident of georgia (ga tech), nc (unc), virginia (uva, maybe william+mary), california (berkley, ucla, maybe uc-san diego or uc-davis), or michigan (michigan) and your kid is actually smart (which is probably a big if) but not ivy league or stanford smart, why wouldnt you pay the extra cash to send them to a solid private school?

Guys. I'm not ivy league or stanford smart. Does that mean I'm done for?

:eek:rbitbuddy:

I guess I'll just go sell my body.

Guys. I'm not ivy league or stanford smart. Does that mean I'm done for?

:eek:rbitbuddy:

I guess I'll just go sell my body.

Or drugs.

Or...

monday-dar-20.jpg

The girl misspelled "field". She should be doomed in the job market anyway.

Go Heels. :/blech.

I think there is an equation. Depends on all the circumstances. There are lots of private schools that I would put my foot down about. Wake (at this time: no wife, no kids) isn't one of them.

I loved Wake, but to be honest, I plan on eventually living in Northern Virginia and sending my kids to UVA.

Sad, but real talk.

Back in the day, Davidson was outside of my range of options because it was something like $3k more per year than WFU. Today, WFU is too expensive to be a rational choice for most middle and upper-middle class families, especially if they have more than one kid.

This. Tuition has skyrocketed since I graduated in 1999. Wake has helped me land jobs and clients, but there is no way I will be able to pay for my kids to go there, and I don't want them saddled with that kind of debt. Florida's state university system is improving; it used to be that UF was the only choice in the state if you wanted decent academics, but now UCF and USF are really improving (they still have a long way to go). FSU is still an embarassment academically, given its long history and the huge advantage it fails to exploit by being located in the state capital.

Thanks for the memories, MSD.

This. Tuition has skyrocketed since I graduated in 1999. Wake has helped me land jobs and clients, but there is no way I will be able to pay for my kids to go there, and I don't want them saddled with that kind of debt. Florida's state university system is improving; it used to be that UF was the only choice in the state if you wanted decent academics, but now UCF and USF are really improving (they still have a long way to go). FSU is still an embarassment academically, given its long history and the huge advantage it fails to exploit by being located in the state capital.

Thanks for the memories, MSD.

Are you implying that you think UCF and USF are better schools than FSU? Or will be in the near future? Admittedly, I'm a little biased, but as far as the Florida state universities go, it's:

UF

FSU

UCF/USF

FAU/FIU

I have no idea where to put UWF, UNF, or FA&M on that list, but I'm guessing they are closest to the FAU/FIU tier. New College is an anomaly since its a liberal arts college, rather than a university.

Again, I'm biased and I don't disagree that FSU could and should be better, but it does have some very good departments, including the political science department (perhaps in part because of its location in the state capital), and of course, the school of music.

Who knows...honestly, I don't think Wake is that recognized outside of the eastern corridor unless you get into business. And yet the price for tuition at Wake is comparable to a lot of other private schools. Not sure what that means though, except that all private schools are overpriced.

I don't know how I would've turned out if I had gone to a state school or JMU, which is where I was set to go before Wake. I like to think that my time at Wake gave me a unique perspective and set of experiences, but I suspect that's the way it is at most colleges.

I loved Wake, but to be honest, I plan on eventually living in Northern Virginia and sending my kids to UVA.

Sad, but real talk.

Good luck getting in there if you're from Nova. I know plenty of kids who easily got into Wake and other Top 25 schools but couldn't get in to UVA.

As others have stated, "It depends."

The best thing you can do for your kids is not allow them to be saddled with debt coming out of college, IMO.

I live in Virginia and if I ever have kids, there will be a big push for UVA, William & Mary, maybe George Mason, and Va Tech if they want to do something in engineering or agriculture.

Back