• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Wake the graveyard of coaches?

mebanedeac

Reaction score
Since 1950 I can think of but 2 coaches who actually moved up to larger or more prestigious programs directly from WF: Cal Stoll and John Mackovic. Most either left coaching or were reduced to becoming assistants and were forced to work their back into head coaching positions. Of course, Jim Grobe could have moved "up" after the 2006 season; but chose not to do so.

Maybe all this is an aberration. In any case, hopefully we can find a really sharp younger coach who is willing to come to Wake and build a legendary career.

I thought we were afraid Wake is a stepping stone?

Wake is a destination job and coaches who get it done stick around until they just can't anymore.

If you're going to use John Mackovic, you'll need to include Caldwell and Groh because they both moved to NFL assistants immediately after leaving Wake, just as Mackovic did. And all three became NFL head coaches. So, I'm not sure we're a graveyard.

Lock this shit. This is the dumbest post I have read in awhile, that says a lot.

Yeah, Wake's past does not equal Wake's future, which is implied in your question. There will be obstacles here that coaches don't have to face elsewhere, but Grobe has shown 1) that it can be done here, and 2) how to do it. And like Ph said, once you make it here, you're set for life.

If you're going to use John Mackovic, you'll need to include Caldwell and Groh because they both moved to NFL assistants immediately after leaving Wake, just as Mackovic did. And all three became NFL head coaches. So, I'm not sure we're a graveyard.

I forgot that Mackovic went to the NFL before landing more notable head coaching college jobs. So, that leaves Cal Stoll as the only one who actually used Wake as a launching pad to a more prestigious college head coaching position.

I forgot that Mackovic went to the NFL before landing more notable head coaching college jobs. So, that leaves Cal Stoll as the only one who actually used Wake as a launching pad to a more prestigious college head coaching position.

So only a college job is a move up? Not a professional job?

Now yes. Historically.... Caldwell would disagree... Leaving this shit hole of an administration set him free. Coaches will not win here when academics and ridiculous standards handcuff them.

Since 1950 I can think of but 2 coaches who actually moved up to larger or more prestigious programs directly from WF: Cal Stoll and John Mackovic. Most either left coaching or were reduced to becoming assistants and were forced to work their back into head coaching positions. Of course, Jim Grobe could have moved "up" after the 2006 season; but chose not to do so.

Maybe all this is an aberration. In any case, hopefully we can find a really sharp younger coach who is willing to come to Wake and build a legendary career.

You don't limit the discussion to football, so I'll note that Jack McCloskey went from Wake to head coach of the Portland Trailblazers

Now yes. Historically.... Caldwell would disagree... Leaving this shit hole of an administration set him free. Coaches will not win here when academics and ridiculous standards handcuff them.

Caldwell is not a head coach. He had the same academic restrictions as Grobe and won 26 games in 8 fucking long years of agony for WFU fans. His decision to go for a touchdown against Maryland instead of locking the game up with a field goal was a bone head move. And calling a timeout in the playoff game against the Jets had Peyton Manning and everyone else scratching their heads . Set him free ? LOL!

Wake is a destination job and coaches who get it done stick around until they just can't anymore.

Exactly. Grobe had multiple opportunities to move on and stayed at Wake.

Ohio State is the graveyard of coaches - name me one person who was HC and then took a better job!

Al Groh moved on and up FWIW. When you hire coaches at the end of their careers, Bill Dooley and Grobe fit this, they are not going anywhere. Throw in Caldwell who was unprepared to be a HC and was not successful at the college level as the head man. We certainly do not have to be that. Hire younger coaches on the move up and accept that we could be a stepping stone at the risk of having your coach move on seems like a fair trade to me. You succeed at Wake and the opportunities open- but not for HCs who are at retirement age. When we have been successful our coaches have been offered opportunity.We have had a bunch of assistants over the years get plucked by bigger programs and be highly successful as well.

Back