• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Wake the graveyard of coaches?

Caldwell is not a head coach. He had the same academic restrictions as Grobe and won 26 games in 8 fucking long years of agony for WFU fans. His decision to go for a touchdown against Maryland instead of locking the game up with a field goal was a bone head move. And calling a timeout in the playoff game against the Jets had Peyton Manning and everyone else scratching their heads . Set him free ? LOL!

He went on to be an NFL head coach, during a superbowl run, and now a coordinator in the NFL... Regardless of whether he sucks, he still did WAY better after wake.. "LOL" dipshit. Are you really debating whether Caldwell improved his coaching employment after leaving this shitty excuse of a program?

We are all dumber for reading this thread. Here are WF's previous head coaches over the last 35 years.

John Mackovic - left WF to coach under Tom Landry (Hall of Fame) and the Cowboys; two years later, he was an NFL head coach (Chiefs), who he coached to the NFL to playoffs for the first time since the merger; Mackovic then coached Illiniois (where he won a Big 10 title) and then arguably the best job in college football -Texas.

Al Groh - left WF to coach in the NFL under Bill Parcells (Hall of Fame) and Bill Bellichek (future HOF), earning two Super Bowl rings. He then got the head job for the Jets, and he left the Jets job to head coach his alma mater (UVA).

Bill Dooley - retired from WF after being a 25 year career as a D-1 head coach at UNC, VT and WF; in his retirement, Dooley has worked part-time as a college football analyst.

Jim Caldwell - left WF to coach in the NFL under Tony Dungy (future HOF); succeeded Dungy and took the Colts to the Super Bowl in his first year; in 2013, he was the OC for the Super Bowl winning Ravens.

So, in sum, after coaching at WF, you can expect: a) head coaching job in the NFL; b) coach the best program in college football, and along the way, you can expect to earn a Super Bowl ring or two; c) retire in luxury and work a part-time TV gig. Yes, coaching at WF is a total graveyard. :wtf:

Doubt that there are many, if any, programs that have spawned so many successful coaching careers.

Last edited:
Jim Caldwell??? You might say he moved up a bit.... and I agree this thread is terrible.

Coaching career[edit]

College[edit]
Caldwell served as an assistant coach at the University of Iowa, Southern Illinois University, Northwestern, Colorado, Louisville, and Penn State before being named head coach at Wake Forest in 1993. He was the first African-American coach in the ACC.
In eight years, Caldwell had a record of 26–63. He installed a powerful passing attack that set numerous school records (many of which have since been broken under his successor, Jim Grobe). However, his teams rarely ran well; in one year the Demon Deacons' leading rusher only notched 300 yards for the entire season. He only had one winning season, in 1999 when the Deacons won the Aloha Bowl.

Indianapolis Colts[edit]
Caldwell joined Tony Dungy's staff with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2001 as quarterbacks coach. He followed Dungy to Indianapolis in 2002 and remained with him for his entire tenure, helping lead the Colts to a win in Super Bowl XLI.
On January 13, 2008, Caldwell was formally announced as Dungy's successor-in-waiting. On January 12, 2009, Dungy announced his retirement, putting Caldwell in the head coaching position.[1] He was formally introduced at a press conference the following day.[2]
Caldwell had one of the best debut seasons for a head coach in NFL history, finishing with a 14–2 record. The Colts rushed out to a 14–0 start. With the AFC South title and the top seed in the AFC playoffs secured, Caldwell opted (on orders from then GM, Bill Polian) to sit out his starting players the last two games of the season (both losses), drawing controversy to him and the team.[3] He later won his first playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens on January 16, 2010. On January 24, 2010, Caldwell became the 5th rookie head coach to lead his team to the Super Bowl with a 30–17 victory over the New York Jets. Caldwell holds the NFL record for the best start by a rookie head coach, starting his career with 14 wins. The 14 wins also tied a franchise record.
On February 7, 2010, Caldwell's rookie season ended with a 31–17 loss in Super Bowl XLIV to the New Orleans Saints. In his second season the Colts reached the playoffs where they lost to the New York Jets 17–16 on January 8, 2011.
Going into the 2011 NFL season, it was announced that Caldwell's star quarterback, Peyton Manning, would likely miss the entire season. This contributed to the Colts going 2-14 and Caldwell's subsequent firing after the season.

Baltimore Ravens[edit]
Thirteen days after his dismissal from the Colts, Caldwell was named quarterbacks coach by the Baltimore Ravens on January 30, 2012.[4] On December 10, 2012 the Ravens dismissed Cam Cameron and named Caldwell the offensive coordinator.[5] On the day following the defeat of the New England Patriots in the AFC championship game, head coach John Harbaugh announced on January 22, 2013 that Caldwell would be the team's permanent offensive coordinator going into the 2013 season.[6] On February 3rd, 2013, Jim Caldwell helped lead the Baltimore offense to a 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII at the New Orleans Superdome.[7]

Didn't realize Caldwell was the first black head coach in the ACC. Nice Wake!

We are all dumber for reading this thread. Here are WF's previous head coaches over the last 35 years.

John Mackovic - left WF to coach under Tom Landry (Hall of Fame) and the Cowboys; two years later, he was an NFL head coach (Chiefs), who he coached to the NFL to playoffs for the first time since the merger; Mackovic then coached Illiniois (where he won a Big 10 title) and then arguably the best job in college football -Texas.

Al Groh - left WF to coach in the NFL under Bill Parcells (Hall of Fame) and Bill Bellichek (future HOF), earning two Super Bowl rings. He then got the head job for the Jets, and he left the Jets job to head coach his alma mater (UVA).

Bill Dooley - retired from WF after being a 25 year career as a D-1 head coach at UNC, VT and WF; in his retirement, Dooley has worked part-time as a college football analyst.

Jim Caldwell - left WF to coach in the NFL under Tony Dungy (future HOF); succeeded Dungy and took the Colts to the Super Bowl in his first year; in 2013, he was the OC for the Super Bowl winning Ravens.

So, in sum, after coaching at WF, you can expect: a) head coaching job in the NFL; b) coach the best program in college football, and along the way, you can expect to earn a Super Bowl ring or two; c) retire in luxury and work a part-time TV gig. Yes, coaching at WF is a total graveyard. :wtf:

Doubt that there are many, if any, programs that have spawned so many successful coaching careers.

win. close and lock thread. ban original poster from new posts.

It is funny how so many "downers" suddenly became "sunny"! Remarkable.

But anyone who thinks that WF launched Jim Caldwell's career or Al Groh's career is drinking something that is too strong!

Stoll and Mackovic were directly benefited by what they accomplished at WF.

But you guys are choosing to forget names like: Rogers, Amen, Hildebrand, Tate, Harper and Mills.

Now, it's a different time thanks largely to Grobe and Wellman (yes Wellman!). But thinking that Wake is viewed as a launching pad into coaching stardom is a bit naive.

Perhaps that will all change with the next hire. I hope so.

But thinking that Wake is viewed as a launching pad into coaching stardom is a bit naive.

I don't think anyone really believes that on this thread. People are just providing evidence to dispute that it's a graveyard as the OP suggested.

You can't really compare coaching at Wake in 90's with coaching at Wake in the 2000's. The TV rights weren't there and Caldwell never had the resources Grobe had at his disposal, even before his successful run. For one thing, consider the coaches Caldwell had to compete against. The conference as a whole was deeper during Grobe's tenure but the conference was much more top heavy in the 90's. Caldwell had to go against Bobby Bowden and Mack Brown in their prime and let's not forget guys like George Welsch and George O'Leary. Welsch and Bowden are already in the Hall of Fame and Mack will be one day. Also, let's not forget that if it wasn't for the Notre Dame resume debacle, O'Leary would likely be at a bigger program than UCF. Also, remember then you had to play everyone every year- there was none of this rotating crap. Who has Grobe had to face consistently who will be in the Hall? Besides Bowden (and let's face it, he wasn't exactly too involved for the majority of Grobe's tenure) , the only person I can say now is Beamer (Jimbo is the other ACC Coach who could potentially be in the Hall in my opinion and he is still probably too young to say). Also, back to my earlier point, Grobe only faced Beamer 4 times in 13 seasons. Not saying Caldwell would have matched the success Grobe has had (Caldwell was an atrocious game planner and defensive coach), but I would bet if Caldwell coached in the 2000's that he would finish with more than 26 wins in 8 seasons. Caldwell was not successful on the field at Wake, but he should be given credit for his recruiting. Caldwell left an extremely stocked cupboard for Grobe when he arrived, which largely allowed our success in 2001 & 2002. The majority of the guys that have had long careers in the NFL today were Caldwell guys (Ovie, Clabo, Pace, Desmond Clark).

JKW385 I agree that Caldwell was a superior recruiter. Conditioning was a problem for his teams, as well as game preparation.

You guys are forgetting the pinnacle of coaching is high school. These coaches shape these young mens live and therefore society. Have any of our coaches gone on to coach high school? No. Thats what I thought, end of conversation.

I'm going to laugh/cry if Lembo tells Jason Whitlock, "I was ready to sign with Wake Forest then I glanced a some Wake message boards. A guy from Mebane down near where I used to coach at Elon said Wake was a coaching graveyard, so I'm staying at Ball State."

Graveyard is a final resting place - therefore to imply that Wake is a graveyard of coaches you would have to show that a number of coaches went to Wake and then never coached again. This simply isn't the case. The same can be said for Wake as a launching pad because there isn't a history of coaches leaving and immediately getting better jobs.

Back